Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2014, 12:16 PM

1,634 posts, read 1,208,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Stuff is about to get real...
Yep...

It's happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 12:22 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
I think we could go as far as Ron Paul proposed, which would mean much bigger cuts. Cutting military spending has always been unpopular, even after massive ramp-ups and ending wars. We have increased military spending over 100% very quickly, but even modest cuts are opposed. I think when spending is ramped up the way it has, there should be a timeline, when it returns back to normal levels. Military budget in 2000 was 300B, and now it is over 700B

Old 02-25-2014, 12:24 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,006,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
In 1991, the CEO Law created the expectation that the CFO's of all government agencies will issue an unqualified opinion of audited financial statements on a biannual basis. Over the past 23 years, DoD has not complied, regardless of who sat the oval or held the majority in Congress. Politics does not matter.

900 +/- bases in 130 countries, outside of war zones, is a tad over the top.
Last year was the first audit. DOD is working towards being audit ready.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:33 PM

924 posts, read 666,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I think we could go as far as Ron Paul proposed, which would mean much bigger cuts. Cutting military spending has always been unpopular, even after massive ramp-ups and ending wars. We have increased military spending over 100% very quickly, but even modest cuts are opposed. I think when spending is ramped up the way it has, there should be a timeline, when it returns back to normal levels. Military budget in 2000 was 300B, and now it is over 700B
It's hard to shrink the military when the largest lobbyist group, AIPAC, doesn't want their guard dog neutered.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:21 PM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niedo View Post
Exactly...
Quote:
Originally Posted by niedo View Post
thank you for your honesty.
Just because somebody feel they are not well compensated or they are underpaid, doesn't mean they are lying either.

You do know that the subject of "Am I underpaid or overpaid" is subject to PERSONAL opinion.
Everybody and every situation is different.

When my brother was in the Marine corps, his first paycheck was under $1000. That was over 15+ years ago. He was a peacetime Marine if there is really such a thing as peacetime force recon Marine. Not everybody joined the military solely based on benefits. Things changed a lot now. . But certain myth still needs to be debunked.

I am a civilian and my big brother has been out of Marine Corps for 12 years and we no longer know how much money these military folks make. However, one thing I do know is that Military folks work hard and they deserve every single cent of their pay, especially the combat troops.

Yet, you see in the civilian world, folks make comments like "We cannot afford paying every one of them $100,000 every year" Where is this number coming from?! Do they honestly believe government is paying junior enlist $100,000 / year?

My brother is NOW a very comfortable upper middle class business owner. He seldom talks about his past military experience but as soon as people knew he was a former Marine, they automatically assume he received all these freebies or benefits from military or government. That is just not true.

If a Marine, Sailor, Soldier served in the military for 4-5 years, they are not and will never be set for life. This is a big myth needs to be debunked.

The bottom line if one examines history is that during times of low or no conflict/national threat the military is fairly ignored and left to deteriorate in both personnel and equipment. But, during times of conflict such as Iraq and Afghanistan our civilian leadership approves large increases in pay and benefits to assuage their guilt for sending military folks in harms way. Eventually all conflicts end in some fashion and then the desire to reduce military budgets raises its head to the forefront once more and promises are broken.

I am all for military budget cut. But do you call this a budget cut when

"The Pentagon’s budget for the 2015 fiscal year is $496 billion, about the same as 2014"

Budget Cuts To Slash Army Size To Smallest Since World War Two | Washington Free Beacon

Doesn't make any sense to me. This is really not an issue of military vs civilians.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 02-25-2014 at 01:51 PM..

Old 02-25-2014, 01:23 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,658,053 times
I hope this is a wake up call to EVERYONE and not just a certain group.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:42 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yeah? Well our Defense Department has been a failure too. What war did we last win?

Right...That's what I thought.
We won those wars, we win every engagement, as long as the civilians stay out of it. Just because the civilian leadership screws up the politics and diplomacy, after the military wins wars and engagements, does not mean it's the fault of the military.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:49 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Yet, you see in the civilian world, folks make comments like "We cannot afford paying every one of them $100,000 every year" Where is this number coming from?!
You tell me. I have never heard anyone make such comment. Even an idiot knows different ranks earn different salaries.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:49 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,464,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

Doesn't make any sense to me.
It's quite simple really. The DoD slashing personnel levels and benefits(which have ballooned ever since 9/11) to have more money for weapons. I agree with the principle but not the implementation as there are certain weapons programs that should've been axed years go still going forward.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:01 PM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You tell me. I have never heard anyone make such comment. Even an idiot knows different ranks earn different salaries.
surprise surprise

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-s-army-4.html

post 36
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies