Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2014, 11:06 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
So what is the solution?

Should we go back to tracking thereby ensuring that the smart kids never rub pencils with their less advanced peers?
Actually, yes. Just like the varsity team doesn't play with the intramural teams.
Quote:
Should we not bother trying to educate kids that don't learn as quickly?
Of course we should, but their educational needs are different than that of those who are more advanced. It's a disservice to all to try to educate both in the same classroom. We can see by the abysmal reading proficiency statistics that doing so clearly isn't working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 11:59 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I'm pretty old and it seems to me that there has never been a time when this wasn't the case, particularly in the lower grades. I remember kids struggling with spelling and reading when I was in the first grade waaaay back in the early 1960s.

So what is the solution?

Should we go back to tracking thereby ensuring that the smart kids never rub pencils with their less advanced peers?
Should we not bother trying to educate kids that don't learn as quickly?

As for the OP, positive steps. Thanks for the link.

Should we go back to tracking ? YES

We don't bother now with the kids that don't learn quickly.
If they can't get it in class we throw them in front of a computer screen to work on "self paced" remedial lessons (when they aren't switching tabs to watch youtube videos or play on game sites).

Back when I was in elementary we had 3 classes at each grade level. They were tracked and the lowest level had both a teacher and teacher aide in there. The slower kids actually had extra help in the classroom all day.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Yikes, where's your optimism? So many folks here have blasted Obama for not doing much for black people. Many more have complained that black people don't do enough to help their "community."

Let's give this a chance before calling it a failure.
For what ? Another government initiative to make up for failed government initiatives ?
It doesn't address the problem is the issue.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:24 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
Obama lived in Asia and had an Asian step father, but I have never seen him promote Asians.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:28 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
I'd rather just see more funding aimed at keeping kids on a good track from an early age.

Giving them a "leg up" when they are 17-18 is IMO less effective.

I definitely favor more money spent early than A LOT more money spent later by society and I'm not talking about incarceration costs but prosecution costs, lost manpower, the damage done to others and their properties in the commission of crime and so on and so forth.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:36 PM

Why isn't Obama addressing the parents of these disadvantaged minority youth ?
Why does he think society owes them ? Their "plight" is of their own and their family's doing.

The "problem" will only get worse if ignored.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'd rather just see more funding aimed at keeping kids on a good track from an early age.

Giving them a "leg up" when they are 17-18 is IMO less effective.

I definitely favor more money spent early than A LOT more money spent later by society and I'm not talking about incarceration costs but prosecution costs, lost manpower, the damage done to others and their properties in the commission of crime and so on and so forth.
We've spent money, lots of money on disadvantaged minority youth.
None of it has worked.

Throwing money at schools does not address the problem.

One kid came to school last week chanting "redrum" over and over.
That's the lingo from jail for "murder". I asked him why he's repeating jail lingo and he told me his brother "just got out" and told him all the words they use. This is the environment most of these kids are growing up in. Going to jail is NBD..just the price for "getting caught".

Old 02-27-2014, 04:02 PM

577 posts, read 512,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Why isn't Obama addressing the parents of these disadvantaged minority youth ?
Why does he think society owes them ? Their "plight" is of their own and their family's doing.

The "problem" will only get worse if ignored.

I think past programs to address parents of these kids hasn't worked. Obviously if the parents are not educated, lack social skills, and in general are not good role models, what makes you think addressing them would do any good?

As far as society owing them....well as I see it, they become a very expensive problem for society if they are not put on the right path for success. So therefore these kids are worth the investment by mentors.

Ok, so you say the problem will only get worse if ignored, but are critical of a plan to address the problem. Don't you think that these kids will be parents some day, and if they are set up for success then this continual problem can prevented from happening in the future?

Old 02-27-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk0p7 View Post
I think past programs to address parents of these kids hasn't worked. Obviously if the parents are not educated, lack social skills, and in general are not good role models, what makes you think addressing them would do any good?

As far as society owing them....well as I see it, they become a very expensive problem for society if they are not put on the right path for success. So therefore these kids are worth the investment by mentors.

Ok, so you say the problem will only get worse if ignored, but are critical of a plan to address the problem. Don't you think that these kids will be parents some day, and if they are set up for success then this continual problem can prevented from happening in the future?
The "problem" are not the young Black men. They are the outcome of the "problem".

What's really the problem here ? Bad/non-existent parenting is the problem.
You can't fix that either in school or in some job works program.

Some of you have no clue how some of these kids live.

Can "school" really straighten out the boy whose mother uses him for shoplifting at Walmart because the boy is a minor?
Or what about the older brother who robs homes but uses his little brother who is a minor to enter the house and pass the goods out the window to him ?
How's about the kids that didn't get any sleep because mom and dad were going at it again and the cops got called to the house at 3am to arrest dad for domestic violence.
How do you fix that in school or a jobs work program ?

Old 02-27-2014, 04:20 PM

577 posts, read 512,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The "problem" are not the young Black men. They are the outcome of the "problem".

What's really the problem here ? Bad/non-existent parenting is the problem.
You can't fix that either in school or in some job works program.

Some of you have no clue how some of these kids live.

Can "school" really straighten out the boy whose mother uses him for shoplifting at Walmart because the boy is a minor?
Or what about the older brother who robs homes but uses his little brother who is a minor to enter the house and pass the goods out the window to him ?
How's about the kids that didn't get any sleep because mom and dad were going at it again and the cops got called to the house at 3am to arrest dad for domestic violence.
How do you fix that in school or a jobs work program ?

Maybe you need to re-read what I wrote. I addressed the issue of the parents, and I never mentioned "school" as a solution. The program would provide mentors from businesses, community etc... to show these kids the right way to do things. The parents are often a lost cause, the solution is not to continue putting future children in the same position, hence the program that was announced today. You have to think ahead in preventing the problem instead of being bitter and stuck on trying to undo the past, which is impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies