Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2014, 06:53 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,554,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Your link does not show that the growth is due to the lottery. Are you aware of how chain migration works. One of the first thing an immigrant does once they get citizenship is file for family members to come. The process takes years.

I am not only aware of how chain migration works but I have tried explaining it to you.

FACT. The Nigerians who arrived first were mainly students, most of whom found a way legalize their status in the USA. In 1980 there were 25k Nigerians, increasing only to 55k by 1990.

FACT. Africa on the whole was one the biggest beneficiary of diversity visas accounted for about 1/3. A high % wouild have been Nigerians, who are the largest immigrant group.

So the Nigerian population only grew by 30k in the decade before the Diversity Visa, but in the subsequent 20 years grew by an additional 165k.

Combining those two sources then led to increased numbers arriving as immediate family members. If one isn't legally resident in the USA one cannot sponsor an immediate family member, so clearly those who arrive first define who comes after.

So what this means is that even this type of immigrant will be vastly more educated than your average Nigerian, given the background of those who sponsored them.

To make it easy for you, if the first wave were engineers the people who they sponsor would have similar abilities and ambitions.

Bottom line is that Africa sends a higher % of people who are well educated than any other region, even including Asia.

BUT once they arrive in the USA their household earnings become more equivalent to groups like Jamaicans who can best be described as being high school graduates.

Why are you so busy celebrating the fact that the best and the brightest of Africa are more educated than a group of people, broken by the Jim Crow system to the point where as many as 1/3 accept their lot at the bottom of the ladder?

You should be asking yourself why do Asians, especially Indians, beat the pants off you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 06:54 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,338,926 times
Huh, are you talking about here in this country? Because if you are they still face some form of discrimination period, besides if they cannot succeed here by whatever means they can always go back to their own country (with their religion,language,and culture intact) So please quit comparing everyone else who comes to this country to the people who help build it and still catch hell!

Old 03-15-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Like I said: IF an African WANTS to stay in a rich country AND is willing to obey OUR laws, they can stay IMHO. That ain't "stealing". Sheesh!

Africa needs to fix itself; we don't owe that a place a thing.

As some one who is also part of a brain drain I happen to agree with you. Indeed some of us gave our homelands a good shot, but then had to flee was we became tired of misrule by incompetent and corrupt politicians.

The question I will ask is whether the countries would have been better off had we stayed. I am not sure about this. If those who lead do not allow its "best and brightest" to develop their talents by fully utilizing them, instead placing the incompetent in positions beyond their capabilities, merely because they are loyal, or are cronies, then nothing is accomplished.

So many leave. Its clear from the US based Nigerian household income, despite their high educational levels (which clearly indicates their high levels of drive and ambition), many encounter barriers as they seek to build new lives. Indeed I have met taxi drivers who have college degrees. Their justification is to ensure a better future for their kids, given that this might not be possible for themselves.

Sad, but then when we look at the mess that Nigeria is, I do not blame these people who decide to leave.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Those Carib Black kids in the US with troubles: are they being raised by decent families or are the parents copying and pasting the American Black hood rat ways of doing things?

It will surprise you to know that the very success of the first generation Caribbean immigrants (who earn about 90% of what the average white household makes, though admittedly with 50% living in NY/NJ they do have an advantage) is what caused problems in the second.

A Caribbean family migrates to the USA, and buys a home in high priced NYC. Still have to send money back to their parents, and maybe other relatives. So maximizing income becomes the dominant goal, even ahead of building a proper home life.

If you watched the show "In Living Color" in the early 90s. There was the "Heymon" family. They had no respect for any one who only had one job.

So here we had these Caribbean people working one full time job (40 hours) another part time (20), and then going to school. Who was raising their kids? Who is making sure that they do their homework? Who is even trying to understand the different teaching methodologies so that they can advocate for their kids if need be? Do they even know what their adolescent kids are up to when they aren't around (most of the time as they also work weekends)?

Of course they had loads to say about "those black Americans". Until one day a police man knocked on their door because their son was selling drugs. Or their daughter became pregnant (starting that very familiar cycle) Or they found out that their son was a Blood. Or worse yet had to bury a son, who was hanging out with the wrong crowd, or see him sent to jail.

With those long hours outside of the house many didn't even know who their kids were. many made assumptions that their kids, growing up in a Caribbean home, would automatically have certain values. Even though they were never at home to pass on those values, especially needed to offset the negative ones on the street.

And of course with all the stress many became divorced, especially given that many Caribbean females out earn males, raising all sorts of insecurities on both sides.

So NO. It isn't that Caribbean immigrants decided to be lazy. Its that too many worked many hours to maximize their income that they didn't have the time to raise their kids.

I suggest that black immigrants do not do themselves any good if they ONLY compare themselves to the WORST of black America. Never learn about the MOST successful black Americans, and don't compare themselves with other comparable immigrants, to gauge how well they are doing. Instead being fooled into using the poorest 35% of black America to determine how well they are doing, just so that certain white Americans can play the game of divide and rule. Because at the end of the day in this country if you are black you are just that. Those who don't like blacks don't care what "kind" you are, even though they might pretend otherwise.

I am still waiting to be told why this highly educated group of immigrants does no better income wise than groups with mostly high school education, therefore mediocre dead end jobs.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Huh, are you talking about here in this country? Because if you are they still face some form of discrimination period, besides if they cannot succeed here by whatever means they can always go back to their own country (with their religion,language,and culture intact) So please quit comparing everyone else who comes to this country to the people who help build it and still catch hell!

If Nigerians have issues because they are black then this should concern every one who values equitable treatment based on merit and not race.

So I don't understand your point.

In any case EVERY one living in the USA, including Native Americans are immigrants. So maybe we should "all go back where we come from", handing this land to the mastodon.

Don't know what will happen to those of mixed ancestry though.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:41 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,739,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Let's see what happens when a group of 21 year old Nigerians go into a redneck bar in the deep south.
My Canadian co-worker went to a TGI Friday's in Alabama on business and was sitting at the bar having a beer getting ready to order some food. This black guy comes up to him and taps him on the shoulder and says "look around you." The guy looks around, and says "what?" He says "look around you" again. The Canadian guy notices that he's the only white person there. Then the black guy says "you need to leave."

Old 03-15-2014, 08:05 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,739,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I am still waiting to be told why this highly educated group of immigrants does no better income wise than groups with mostly high school education, therefore mediocre dead end jobs.
I'm still waiting to be told why Barbadians with equal education as white Americans earn the same amount of money as white Americans, considering that you believe that there's some global conspiracy to keep the black man down in every country in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
Barbadians:

Some college or associate: 30.4%
Bachelor's: 17.9%
Graduate or professional degree: 12.1%

White:

Some college or associate: 29.5%
Bachelor's: 19.1%
Graduate or professional degree: 11.4%

Virtually dead even on education, how about income?

Median household income:

Barbadian: $53,224
White: $54,729

Per capita income:

Barbadian: $30,342
White: $30,077

Median earnings for full-time, year-round males:

Barbadian: $46,514
White: $50,533

Median earnings for full-time, year-round females:

Barbadian: $44,685
White: $39,073

Old 03-15-2014, 08:05 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,927,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
If Nigerians have issues because they are black then this should concern every one who values equitable treatment based on merit and not race.

So I don't understand your point.

In any case EVERY one living in the USA, including Native Americans are immigrants. So maybe we should "all go back where we come from", handing this land to the mastodon.

Don't know what will happen to those of mixed ancestry though.
1 word: East Africa. Tho the Kenyans in 2014 would be mad if ALL of us people TRIED to go back "home".

Old 03-15-2014, 08:06 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,044,586 times
Quote:
My Canadian co-worker went to a TGI Friday's in Alabama on business and was sitting at the bar having a beer getting ready to order some food. This black guy comes up to him and taps him on the shoulder and says "look around you." The guy looks around, and says "what?" He says "look around you" again. The Canadian guy notices that he's the only white person there. Then the black guy says "you need to leave."
Since he was served a beer the bartender obviously didn't have a problem with him being there.

Harrier believes that if he had been denied service because of his skin color that he wouldn't be considered to be part of a "protected class".

White males aren't protected under that law.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:09 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,927,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Most people moving into Detroit are White Hipsters, there are several documentaries about it.

They even have an electronic music festival which is mostly White folks.

Your idea of American cities is from the late 70's. Time to get hip
Quote:
Like I told desertdetroiter; I'll take his word that Detroit ain't that bad but, a place down south IS bad if you's the wrong skin color and I ain't talking about just PWT honkytonks and Black people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies