Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 02:39 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Violate Judaism, indeed!
We had synagogues with their own floats at the last Pride parade I went to, and we have rabbis conducting same sex marriages. We even have gay rabbis.
Temple
You just want everyone to adhere to YOUR type of uber-orthodox Judaism, which as absurd and close-minded as the Lev Tahor we're having so many problems with up here.
You're an extremist, and nobody should cater to extremists.

I hope everyone reading realizes that photo above, and this post, are more representative of the Jewish-American attitude towards equality. Most of us are fully in support of gay rights & marriage, and I too have had a gay (lesbian) rabbi who marches in SF Pride - along with a local gay minister - almost every year.

Ironically, someone on a now-closed thread about Christian persecution asked if "religious loons" included Jews and Muslims. See exhibit A on this thread, lol.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:59 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,275,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
But there is no difference in the actual cake? So what does the cake maker have to do with the wedding? If my cake maker wasn't a family member, I wouldn't have invited them to my wife and I's straight marriage.

Making a cake is a business transaction, not a religious transaction, which seems to be a concept you struggle to grasp.
It has nothing to do with the cake it has to do with people's personal convictions. It may be a business transaction to you but not to everyone else.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:04 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
Oh please. This is the same baker who accepted an order of a wedding cake for a DOG wedding.
You provided no link, so I'll assume this is true.

However, the love and affection that people feel toward their pets, and the play acting of human activities with them, is not sin, and therefore there is no prohibition imposed by their faith, nor is there any matter of conscience involved. There is no reason for them to feel any guilt, as they are not in violation of any of scriptural teaching regarding how Christians ought to live their lives.

This is a ridiculous comparison.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Sorry, but there is a law that prevents people from using their religion to be a bigot towards others in the business sense. But feel free to be as big of a bigot as you want in your personal life.
So, since when has religious liberty been reduced to "bigotry?" How far are we going to take this?

Old 03-10-2014, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Refusing to bake them a cake simply because they are gay is just them expressing bigotry. Next thing you know a gay person, or a divorced person could not buy a donut, or a Muslim baker could put out a sign banning Jews and Christians, or a vegetarian baker banning anyone who eats red meat.

Baking a cake is not forcing the baker to be an active participant in the wedding, nor does it require acceptance of the wedding or prevent the baker from practicing their religion.
Your first paragraph is ridiculous, because nobody is advocating for refusal of service that does not offend ones conscientiously held religious beliefs. Simply because you do not like what one eats, and selling donuts made by the dozens and offered for sale does not involve doing anything that places the person in the position of having to "serve" in a way that would make one complicit, or an active participant in what he regards as sin.

There actually is relevant scripture here: Ephesians 5:5-7
5 For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person — such a man is an idolater — has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. 6 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things, God's wrath comes on those who are disobedient. 7 Therefore do not be partners with them.

[Study note: partners Although Christians live in normal social relationships with others, as did the Lord Jesus, they are not to participate in the sinful life-style of unbelievers.
Though Jesus ate with sinners and mingled with sinners, Jesus had in mind repentance "unto salvation."

No place in scripture does Jesus mandate his followers to forsake their consciences, or celebrate or be complicit in sinful behavior (which the baker is being compelled to do by being forced to use his creative talents for a ceremony he believes is wrong).

We are to serve all, but we are not to ignore sin.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:49 AM

Default Vindicated! Others making my case.

Articles: Totalitarianism and the Silence of the Lambs
Quote:
Same-sex marriage is a trial balloon of sorts, being used to test how far Americans will allow their consciences to be suppressed by the State.

“If Christians can be compelled to lend a craft to something their conscience objects to, what can’t they be compelled to participate in? — Emphasis mine
Further, the author says this:
Quote:
This battle is much bigger than anybody thinks it is. We cannot see the forest for the trees. We are not witnessing a clash of rights; we are in the middle of a massive social experiment. This is a test for the viability of incremental totalitarianism. Nothing less.
See also: Of Consciences and Cakes | First Thoughts | Blogs | First Things

Old 03-10-2014, 05:14 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,389,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
You provided no link, so I'll assume this is true.

However, the love and affection that people feel toward their pets, and the play acting of human activities with them, is not sin, and therefore there is no prohibition imposed by their faith, nor is there any matter of conscience involved. There is no reason for them to feel any guilt, as they are not in violation of any of scriptural teaching regarding how Christians ought to live their lives.

This is a ridiculous comparison.
Colo. Bakery That Refused Gay Couple's Business Faces Legal Complaint | Advocate.com

https://www.aclu.org/blog/religion-b...t-dave-charlie

So making a mockery of the so-called "sanctity of marriage" by baking a wedding cake for a DOG wedding decorated with the names "Roscoe" and "Buffy" is okay for so-called "devout Christians" with 'sincerely held religious beliefs". Got it.

And baking a cake for a divorce party and a pagan celebration is just peachy too. Got it.

Last edited by Ceist; 03-10-2014 at 05:26 AM..

Old 03-10-2014, 05:35 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,389,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
what is a dog wedding?
and why should it be forbidden?
Well apparently a wedding celebration for 2 dogs is perfectly in keeping with the sincere religious beliefs about the sanctity of marriage...for some so-called devout Christians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies