Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 01:42 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,776,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrexDigit View Post
As a small business owner, I'd love to see lower tax rates.
However, medical & health are line-item deductions.
If you think ACA is killing your business, you have no business being in business.
It's killing my pocketbook. So much for Obamas promise of it being cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
And the best way to do that is to lower tax rates and remove burdens on small businesses, including now the ACA.
^^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 01:48 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,807,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Part of the problem is it is too easy to start a small business. 9 in 10 fail inside 5 years. We'd be better off if most never tried. Small business failures are Accounts Receivable writeoffs at other corps.

Millions know they want to start a business, a tiny percentage actually have the business acumen to successfully run one.

Success/failure is usually attributed to the owner's competence and experience.

Lot's of good people without any experience in opening/operating a business give it a go every year. Very few make it. This was true then and now. Some find it easier to blame it on the government /political party than take responsibility and learn from it.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

Lot's of good people without any experience in opening/operating a business give it a go every year. Very few make it. This was true then and now. Some find it easier to blame it on the government than take responsibility and learn from it.
Enough cash flow to meet expenses, ability to budget (looking into the future to try to determine future) and why business is holding back. Government that keeps increases expenses (higher taxes and Obamacare) will hurt small business and with some just surviving because of a bad economy (beyond their control) will go out of business.

middle-age mom probably never ran a business but thinks she knows it all, I know you are all into this Obamacare thing because it benefits "you" but really you need to look past your own self centered needs.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:58 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,807,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post

That said, there's one place where I believe "volume discounts" for big businesses are unfair: local tax breaks. IMHO, it should be illegal for local governments to negotiate property tax abatements, sales tax rebates, corporate income tax exemptions, etc., with individual businesses when attempting to lure them to their jurisdictions (or keep them for moving to another jurisdiction). Set the playing field, tax-wise, and let the chips fall where they may. It's bad enough for a local small business when a large corporate competitor decides to set up shop in the same market. It's insult added to injury when that new competitor is offered tax incentives that the small local guy lacks the clout to gain for him/herself.
States/counties/municipalities aggressively compete for the big box or any large job creator.

They do so because large employers will contribute more in payroll and sales taxes and perhaps most importantly, help get the state/county/municipal politicians reelected when they tout their job creation numbers.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:

Lot's of good people without any experience in opening/operating a business give it a go every year. Very few make it. This was true then and now. Some find it easier to blame it on the government /political party than take responsibility and learn from it.
A business sees higher taxes and Obamacare as an added expense and will react by cutting expenses elsewhere which is usually laying off employees. I don't care what liberal land tells you, increasing expenses on a small business does not lead to growing and hiring.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:01 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,835,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
A business sees higher taxes and Obamacare as an added expense and will react by cutting expenses elsewhere which is usually laying off employees. I don't care what liberal land tells you, increasing expenses on a small business does not lead to growing and hiring.
Exactly, this has to be the most fundamental truth in business.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:02 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,774,856 times
Big corporations have a strong control freak mentality, trying to get as close to a monopoly as they can. They no longer believe in competition. Too big to compete, they seem to think.
I am in favor of limiting the size of companies by establishing a turnover threshold. When surpassed, a company has to split into completely independent businesses.

Regarding small businesses, opening and running a business seems too complicated. There are also problems like legal minefields. Big companies have been filing micro patents for years, which makes it very difficult not to violate some patents with almost any invention. That practice needs to be stopped and even reversed, the whole patent and copyright laws need to be streamlined and cleaned up.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
States/counties/municipalities aggressively compete for the big box or any large job creator.

They do so because large employers will contribute more in payroll and sales taxes and perhaps most importantly, help get the state/county/municipal politicians reelected when they tout their job creation numbers.
So you want big business the only game (jobs) in town? The way you talk do away with small business as Obama is doing, according to you, small business does not collectively contribute enough.

Ok anyone with a small business, close up. Liberals don't need your money.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:12 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,455,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
So - when the price increases come from insurance companies, that's fine?
And - when price increases come from insurance companies blaming Obamacare, that's fine too?
Since starting my business, our rates had doubled with no ACA in play.
Interesting logic - getting mad at ACA rather than the very companies that make it necessary.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:16 PM

Mine was canceled starting 2014 and after looking into it my cost will increase about 40% with a doubling of deductible and $12,700 oop. My insurance NEVER jumped that much in one year.

FAIL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies