Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 09:38 AM

10,755 posts, read 5,672,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
You do know that just because you are qualified for a job does not mean that there is a job opening for that job or you will get that job over someone else.
Which is why it is so important for people to develop their human capital. But I understand why so many simply whine instead. It's a lot easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 09:45 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,814,491 times
The solution is not to raid CEO pay I agree, however we should raid the company's that failed to repay us after the bailouts as shaded in red:

https://projects.propublica.org/bailout/list

Also, 15 Fortune 500 companies paid no income taxes at all. I think we can agree that is a problem.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:51 AM

572 posts, read 552,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Actually Warren Buffet constantly tries to get his tax rate raised. Warren Buffet is very upset that his secretary has a 2x higher tax rate than himself.

Warren Buffett, Secretary Debbie Bosanek Discuss Tax Rate Inequality in Interview - YouTube

And Bill Gates also wants to pay a higher tax rate.

Warren Buffet On Why U.S. Taxes Are Too Low For The Wealthy - YouTube

that a false argument -- if Warren and Bill really wanted they could send their entire net worths to the Federal Treasury for use by the US Govt. -- why have they not made significant voluntary contributions to the US Treasury?

Old 08-28-2015, 09:51 AM

10,755 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
The solution is not to raid CEO pay I agree, however we should raid the company's that failed to repay us after the bailouts as shaded in red:

Also, 15 Fortune 500 companies paid no income taxes at all. I think we can agree that is a problem.
There are any number of reasons why they paid no income tax. Without knowing the reason(s), you can't really say there is a problem.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:54 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,059,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Power to the Peoples Proletariat!

So, you say "we" meaning we collective decide to pay our CEO's 354 times the average wage?

If I am a stockholder of a company and you are not what business is it of yours what I want to pay our CEO?
Exactly

Old 08-28-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post

I can't agree without knowing the details. Maybe they lost money, maybe they lost a lot of money in previous years or maybe most of their income is from other countries, etc.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
There are any number of reasons why they paid no income tax. Without knowing the reason(s), you can't really say there is a problem.
Sorry I responded before I finished the thread.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsDEN View Post
that a false argument -- if Warren and Bill really wanted they could send their entire net worths to the Federal Treasury for use by the US Govt. -- why have they not made significant voluntary contributions to the US Treasury?
ETA I do agree they could also easily send in a little extra to the government. But from what I have seen they make sure they take full advantage of the tax code as it is written.

But
They are both pretty charitable people.
They set up large charitable organizations because they want control over how their money is spent. I bet they think it can be spent better and more efficiently by their foundations than the federal government and I agree.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:26 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
35 mill? That's piddly bucks. I worked at United Health Group, where the CEO received a 1 BILLION dollar bonus! No, 1 million is chump change... try 1,000 million! Think there's no money in healthcare, especilly when Obama forces you to buy it? There's no government option, so look for those 1 billions dollar bonuses to keep coming!
Oh dear Lord, where do you come up with these figures? One billion dollars, are you kidding me?

Of course you're not, you got your information from the Peoples Center for Economic Justice!

Top health insurance CEO pay exceeds $10 million in 2014
Heads of Aetna, Anthem, Cigna, Humana, UnitedHealth earn top dollars
April 10, 2015 | By Brian Eastwood

Quote:
UnitedHealth Group CEO Stephen Helmsley: $14.9 million
Helmsley's 2014 base salary was $1.3 million, according to UnitedHealth's SEC filing. On top of that, he earned nearly $4 million in non-equity incentive plan compensation, more than $100,000 in other compensation and about $9.5 million in stocks and options. Helmsley earned $12 million in 2013 and nearly $13.9 million in 2012.
That's a lot of money to be sure but it's a far cry from a billion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Said everyone with student loan debt and a liberal arts degree.
What about that degree in Advanced Puppetry from the University of Connecticut?

What if Puppetry is your passion?

Old 08-28-2015, 02:36 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsDEN View Post
I tell you what, let's really give the screwing to imperialist running capitalist dogs by taxing ALL their money!

IRS: 235,413 million-dollar earners

Quote:
And, the data show, the 235,413 taxpayers who reported earning seven digits or more in 2009 took in a total of $726.9 billion — yet 1,470 paid not a penny of income taxes. In 2007, 959 Americans earning $1 million or more paid no income taxes.
In 2098 the federal government spent a total of $3.518 trillion.

That's $9,638,356,164.38 per day every day 7 days a week.

So if we confiscated every single penny from everyone who earned $1 million and above we would have enough to fund the federal government for 75.4 days or about 2 1/2 months.

Never mind that over 99.5% of these people already paid taxes not just to the federal government but state and local as well which would reduce the period to a lot less than 75.4 days but don't anyone let facts get in their way.

And a question for those who cry, scream and yell about the rich not paying their fair share. What difference to you does it make?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies