Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 08:06 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,193,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin_Muzik_NJ View Post
Yes, but you need either dysfunctional relationships or artificial constructs to do so.

Why do you think women who cannot bear children and have to resort to adoption have complexes? Many women who.cannot rear children develop deep depression because they feel as if they are defective....and to a degree they are. They cannot serve their natural physiological function.
Many women who develop deep depression are mothers.

Many women adopt children and never develop depression.

Many women who don't have children at all never develop depression.

I have family members who are adopted, and I can assure you that their mothers don't feel "defective" or have any psychological issues whatsoever.

Most women do not place their self-worth on their ability to have children. If they do, it is probably because there are people like you in the world who think it's even remotely okay to suggest they are "defective".

It takes a whole heck of a lot more than biology to make a parent.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:07 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,481,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Clearly you havent read my postings because I for one, havent suggested they arent your babies.. Being adopted, (by a single female 25 years ago at that), and adopted two children now as a single father, I'd be a complete idiot to suggest that children arent yours if you havent given birth to them.
You went and fixed your comment. At first you had "somehow I don't think you are having OUR baby" - to me that meant that the baby can't be ours because she's not blood related to both of us. This just struck a cord with me because we had the same discussion with my partner's mother and I told her she needs to get those ideas out of her head, or she won't be spending time with the baby.

I applaud you for adopting and trust me I know that blood does not make parents. All I have to do is look at my own.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:13 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Sounds like it could all be done with contract law.

Power of attorney and a last will and testament, go a long way in any relationship.

How come government gives married people special privileges, in the first place.
How did that all start??
Wills are overturned every day, and a POA is only as good as the administrator that decides if they are going to honor it. I have both, and neither are as binding legally as a marriage certificate.

You never answered. Do you have a legal civil marriage certificate, or did you simply say some vows to your spouse?
If you have a legal civil marriage, why did you get it?

Old 03-07-2014, 08:14 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Sounds like it could all be done with contract law.

Power of attorney and a last will and testament, go a long way in any relationship.
Absolutely not. Many of the legal rights of civil marriage can't be contracted into existence.

I can't write a contract with my foreign boyfriend that gives me the right to secure him a spousal immigration visa. I can't contract with my boyfriend the right for him to sue in court for wrongful death should I die negligently or intentionally at the hands of another. I can't contract with my boyfriend the right to live with him in base housing or shop at the base commissary should he join the military. Etc, etc, etc.

And making me contract the things I can contract while automatically giving those things to heterosexuals IS NOT equal protection of the law. Requiring homosexuals to spend time and money to acquire the same legal rights heterosexuals get automatically is unequal treatment under the law.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:16 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
You went and fixed your comment. At first you had "somehow I don't think you are having OUR baby" - to me that meant that the baby can't be ours because she's not blood related to both of us. This just struck a cord with me because we had the same discussion with my partner's mother and I told her she needs to get those ideas out of her head, or she won't be spending time with the baby.

I applaud you for adopting and trust me I know that blood does not make parents. All I have to do is look at my own.
yes I changed "our" baby a very long time ago, it was clearly a typo since its obvious I'm not paying you child support.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:17 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin_Muzik_NJ View Post
No, because at least a woman who cannot bear children and a man fit the definition of marriage and fit the definition of parents within the western family ideal
Maybe you should get a new dictionary. Since about 2004 dictionaries have included SSM into the definition of marriage. And the word parent is not defined by the genitalia of the person.

Quote:
par·ent (pâr′ənt, păr′-)
n.
1. One who begets, gives birth to, or nurtures and raises a child; a father or mother.
2. An ancestor; a progenitor.
3. An organism that produces or generates offspring.
4. A guardian; a protector.
Quote:
mar·riage (măr′ĭj)
n.
a. The legal union of a man and woman as husband and wife, and in some jurisdictions, between two persons of the same sex, usually entailing legal obligations of each person to the other.
b. A similar union of more than two people; a polygamous marriage.
c. A union between persons that is recognized by custom or religious tradition as a marriage.
d. A common-law marriage.
e. The state or relationship of two adults who are married: Their marriage has been a happy one.
2. A wedding.
3. A close union: "the most successful marriage of beauty and blood in mainstream comics" (Lloyd Rose)

Old 03-07-2014, 08:18 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Absolutely not. Many of the legal rights of civil marriage can't be contracted into existence.

I can't write a contract with my foreign boyfriend that gives me the right to secure him a spousal immigration visa. I can't contract with my boyfriend the right for him to sue in court for wrongful death should I die negligently or intentionally at the hands of another. I can't contract with my boyfriend the right to live with him in base housing or shop at the base commissary should he join the military. Etc, etc, etc.

And making me contract the things I can contract while automatically giving those things to heterosexuals IS NOT equal protection of the law. Requiring homosexuals to spend time and money to acquire the same legal rights heterosexuals get automatically is unequal treatment under the law.
Actually most of those things you listed that you cant do, you actually can do.. especially if children are involved because you contract the authorization on behalf of the children.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:22 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,042,540 times
Many people see it as an equality issue, though that's not really the goal of Gay Activists. For them gay marriage is pretty much just a way for them to push their lifestyle onto others and try to '' normalize '' it.

The Government cares about it because it's a power grab. They can get away with using Federal Activist judges to overturn the will of the people, because they know that there are enough people out there who support it. They are using the gay marriage issue as a weapon to overthrow States Rights and grow their power. The media is also in bed with them.

If this was any other issue (such as gun rights) I can guarantee you that people wouldn't allow it. Imagine if Federal Activist Judges ruled that guns are Unconstitutional over a state? People would be up in arms. And with gay marriage the Government hopes to do just that later, maybe not with guns but something else.

I wish we would get Government out of Marriage and vice versa. Then this issue wouldn't exist. Secular Civil Contracts for everyone, Marriage is for Churches, Synagogues, families etc...

Old 03-07-2014, 08:22 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Actually most of those things you listed that you cant do, you actually can do.. especially if children are involved because you contract the authorization on behalf of the children.
Huh? I listed 3 things my boyfriend and I can't do:

1) Write a contract to secure an immigration visa.
2) Write a contract to secure the right to sue for wrongful death in court.
3) Write a contract to secure the right to live in military housing and shop at the base commissary.

How is it that I actually can do those things as you claim, and how would my boyfriend and I having a child make that easier?

Old 03-07-2014, 08:23 AM

493 posts, read 783,626 times
despite what some would have us believe, a man can not be a woman, and a woman can not be a man.

therefore, a woman can not be a father: The Importance of a Father's Role
Quote:
A father's love is just as important to a child's development as a mother's, and sometimes more so, suggests a new review of about 100 studies published between 1949 and 2001.
Seeing the important and complementary roles that both my wife and i play in raising our children, i can never imagine having the Gaul to proclaim to the mother's of the world that I, being the bastion of enlightment that I am, would be able to replace their role as nurturer of the family.

Yet some here have no such apprehension, and liberally insult fathers as being an optional member of the family unit. Devolution, thy name is a test tube.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies