Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2014, 08:48 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
It isn't the exact same thing, and no one would ever claim it was. That is a total non-issue.

But this isn't an act by the government. It is an act by Christians who want to display Christian symbols on public property, thus claiming privilege for their faith to do so. That cannot be allowed.
The Government cannot endorse one religion while excluding others. This is the act of individuals putting something on private land, not the government. If a Hindu, or Muslim or Jew wants to put a roadside monument up like Christians do, they should have the right to do that as well.

This isn't about the Government endorsing religion, its about Humanists/Atheists who want to rid the world of religion by sticking their nose into matters happening thousands of miles away, much like they did with the Oklahoma courthouse controversy.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:49 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I can somewhat buy what you're saying here. And while I tend to be respectful of others (it is a two way street after all) that little rebellious streak that I have goes off when someone "demands" that I act, think, or do something a certain way because the collective says so. So I see where you're going there about doing it just to get under their skin. At any rate, I'm Christian, but I do not get offended by symbols of other religions. Never have. In fact, when it comes down to it, it's a symbol, and your faith in and relationship with God is all that matters. Now having said that, I say leave well enough alone. If someone TRULY gets offended by a cross, then they have bigger issues.
You're from my "neck of the woods," so you probably know what I'm talking about regarding crosses alongside the road (I was born in Cleveland, raised in Chagrin Falls). Out here on the OH/PA line, we see these crosses all the time. I've never heard of anyone protesting them.

You're right though; if they are so offended by these things, they have bigger issues.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:50 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
No, nothing is sacred. I keep waiting for someone to sue for all the crosses to be removed from national cemeteries.
Coming.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:52 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
You can absolutely wear a cross on public property. Many people do, every day. This isn't about what you wear or carry around on your person during the course of the day. It is about erecting religious displays on public property. That's all.
The cross was not explicitly a religious display - it was a memorial for a person.

Also, there is nothing in the constitution that prohibits religious displays on public property - in fact the constitution protects such displays in the free exercise clause.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:55 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
There is no mention of separation and church and state in the constitution.

There is a however, wording as follows: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, nor prohibiting the free exercise thereof".

Would you like to explain how a private citizen placing a cross on a public road constitutes the state of California establishing a religion?
Quote:
Uh, nowhere in the constitution does it say that a cross cannot be placed on a public road.

In fact the free exercise clause prohibits such limits to be enacted into law.

Once again, left wing liberals show how much contempt they have for our constitution.
Quote:
Would you please explain how a private person placing a cross on a public road in memory of their son constitutes the law being unequally applied?

You can't - and the AHA is acting entirely out of hatred for religion.

That makes them bigots.
Quote:
Actually, the establishment of religion issue is the only pertinent thing and that is what is being claimed by the AHA.

The First Amendment does not allow an official religion to be established.

It protects the free exercise of any religion.

Christianity has not been established as an official religion in California by the memorial being placed in memory of the accident victim.

Claiming privilege?

That is the last thing that was on the mind of the family.

Anyone of any religious persuasion can put their own symbols up - it appears that you are just upset at the presence of a cross.

How does the cross affect you personally?
What the Constitution means is not an issues for you or me to decide. What the Constitution means is whatever the Supreme Court said the last time they ruled on any particular Constitutional issue. Their rulings make up the case law that supports any particular reading of a Constitutional issue.

According to many decades of Supreme Court rulings over the 1st Amendment, you are wrong. The cross represents Christianity. The tacit agreement of the government by allowing it to remain on public land is (according to the Supreme Court) interpreted as the government supporting the Christian religion over other religions. You may not like that interpretation, but that IS what the law of the land is. You may, of course, petition the government for a redress of grievances, and ask the Congress to begin the process of creating a Constitutional Amendment that would make your point of view overturn the Supreme Court interpretations. I'll be watching the news to see how that works out.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:56 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Who are the people to which you are referring and what specific law are you citing?
The people part should be obvious, even to you. Although it's more properly singular.

I haven't cited any specific law.

Private memorials don't belong on public property. The specific law that upsets you so mightily is probably cited in the verbage about this situation. You're free to research it if that's your desire.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:56 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
The Government cannot endorse one religion while excluding others. This is the act of individuals putting something on private land, not the government. If a Hindu, or Muslim or Jew wants to put a roadside monument up like Christians do, they should have the right to do that as well.

This isn't about the Government endorsing religion, its about Humanists/Atheists who want to rid the world of religion by sticking their nose into matters happening thousands of miles away, much like they did with the Oklahoma courthouse controversy.
If atheists want to rid the world of religion, then why are they only objecting to religious displays on public property? Why aren't they objecting to religious displays on private property?

Look, banning religious displays on public property in no way robs anyone of their freedom of religion. There are plenty of other venues for that kind of thing. Use them.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:28 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
What about the Normany American cemetery?
If you're talking about military burials those people explicitly signed forms stating which religious symbols (or lack there of) they wanted on their headstones. BTW the US government does not own those foreign burial plots but does provide funds to maintain them as benefits follow soldiers.

Basically, your argument is completely spurious.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:59 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
The cross represents Christianity. The tacit agreement of the government by allowing it to remain on public land is (according to the Supreme Court) interpreted as the government supporting the Christian religion over other religions.
Not so fast. Every other religion has the freedom to put up their religious symbols alongside Christian symbols. When they do that (e.g. next to nativity scenes in Christmas displays) is the government supporting only the Christian religion? Are they supporting all religions or none -- but simply allowing all of them free expression?

Your argument seems to have a hole in it.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:59 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,736,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
If you're talking about military burials those people explicitly signed forms stating which religious symbols (or lack there of) they wanted on their headstones. BTW the US government does not own those foreign burial plots but does provide funds to maintain them as benefits follow soldiers.

Basically, your argument is completely spurious.
I see, so the government is funding with taxpayer money to preserve religious memorial symbols. The nerve of them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies