Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we fear our government?
YES 57 54.81%
NO 47 45.19%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 07:03 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times

Advertisements

If Obama and democrats had their way the American people would fear them.

How to control people:
Spying: The more they know about the people they want to control the easier they are to control
Healthcare: The more control they have over peoples healthcare the easier they are to control.
Taxation: Hit enemies in the pocket, defunding them where they can't afford to fight back (ask IRS targets, ask any divorced man)
Media: Owning media corporations, they can demonize anyone who speaks out against them.

1. Be likeable.
2. Find the Achilles heel.
3. Understand that people are lazy.
4. Be deceptive.
5. keep them ignorant. Educated people are not as easy to manipulate.
6. Economically independent person are hard to control, pass laws and raise taxes to hurt them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 07:06 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Nope. I'm not afraid of my government. But then, I've been in countries where I feared their government, and I'm not a paranoid. There is a huge difference between paranoia and fear.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:08 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rso092 View Post
So......you have no idea what you're talking about with regards to libertarians?

I'm shocked.
Nah, I stand by what I wrote about libertarians for all practical purposes being conservatives.

Rand Paul is probably the most well known libertarian associated politician which party he is in?

Old 03-12-2014, 07:09 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Nope. I'm not afraid of my government. But then, I've been in countries where I feared their government, and I'm not a paranoid. There is a huge difference between paranoia and fear.
Same here. If I was in Cuba, I would fear their government. People in my German side of the family feared their government (which was Communist). The right-wing blowhards on here are just paranoid kooks, getting off on the possibility of the South Rising Again. It won't, but whatever

Old 03-12-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Arrogance is the first step of the fall. Everyone knows that people in power are power hungry and selfish. Why anyone believes they are to be trusted with too much power is naivety at its height.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:13 PM

709 posts, read 656,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Nah, I stand by what I wrote about libertarians for all practical purposes being conservatives.

Rand Paul is probably the most well known libertarian associated politician which party he is in?
Rand Paul isn't a libertarian, so what's your point?

You can't point to a single libertarian politician on the national level, because they don't exist. The Libertarian Party holds a few seats in local or maybe even state offices; nothing more.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Same here. If I was in Cuba, I would fear their government. People in my German side of the family feared their government (which was Communist). The right-wing blowhards on here are just paranoid kooks, getting off on the possibility of the South Rising Again. It won't, but whatever
Those people thought just like you.

ps, your language is offensive, it shows your class i.e. lack of.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:15 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,111,688 times
No, I do not fear the government. However, there are times that I wonder if the government can be completely trusted.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:16 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Please libertarians don't fear our government. Libertarians and conservatives are nearly identical in practicality.

conservatives and libertarians use hyperbolic language about freedom to discuss spending or taxes they don't like.

When it comes to the real things that governments do to snatch freedom, liberals are by far more leery of the government.

All the ways governments use power to really oppress people, conservatives and libertarians tend to love. While moderates who make up the majority of the Democratic party tend to support those displays of government power in times of crisis.
Conservative only seem paranoid when it comes to guns now days, ever encountered a libertarian? esp the college aged ones? they are scared of EVERYTHING.... which is understandable, the current administration is probably one hundred percent opposite of what they believe in.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:18 PM

709 posts, read 656,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
No, I do not fear the government. However, there are times that I wonder if the government can be completely trusted.
I think you might be underselling it a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies