Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 10:24 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,211,294 times

Advertisements

I wonder if the Klan is endorsing this guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 10:25 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Let's see, by YOUR statements ALL slave owners were bad and ALL repubs are bad for NOT agreeing with you that ALL slaves were treated badly.

By YOUR "reasoning" ALL dems are liars because one of YOUR heroes, Bill Clinton, was convicted of lying, therefore ALL democrats are liars.

Got it!
Well we know not all Dems are liars...

Obama did say ACA would cut premiums $2500 per year, and Nancy Pelosi discussed how unemployment was a job creator, and we hear non stop about Clintons surpluses...

ok, maybe they are all liars, just like this thread displays, with them lying about what he said so they can post their hatred for Republicans once again..

Old 03-14-2014, 10:26 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
First, he did NOT say what you claim.

Second, in MANY cases the slaves were NOT treated badly,

Third, do you think, in every case, they would have fared better back in their home country?

First off, like someone else said - being a slave is being treated badly. You are denied the opportunity to live your life as you see fit. If you don't think so, I welcome you to come to my house. I have an extra bedroom with an on-suite bathroom you can have but you have to do all my housework, yardwork (and I am creating a new garden this year so would be extra happy to have you around to do my heavy lifting), and cooking along with watching my kids before/after school.

You will address me as "Duchess" (I just like that name) and I will give you a ration of cornmeal, potatoes, 10lbs of ground beef to last the entire month and a gallon of milk. You cannot take meal breaks during the day, only water. You will keep your room clean and you clothes clean, but must attend to my and my family's needs between 6am and 8 pm before doing anything for yourself. If you don't follow my rules I'll either take a portion of your rations as punishment or give you 5 lashes or more depending upon the failing. You will never talk in what I consider a "disrespectful fashion." If you do, you will be punished. Oh, and if you have any kids or grandkids, they will belong to me to. (and I won't get into the raping of your daughters by my son's because you know - boys will be boys **on a serious note - rape was very common during slavery and is nothing to joke about).

As long as you follow the rules you won't be beat and you will have a nice place and all you needs met, but you belong to me.....

In regards to your bolded question Yes - they all would have been better in their home country.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
I wonder if the Klan is endorsing this guy.
The Klan was started by Democrats

Even David Duke was a Demcorat first, and I believe Al Gores father..

Could you post anything dumber? Come on, you can do it.. give it a shot..

Old 03-14-2014, 10:28 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,211,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The Klan was started by Democrats

Even David Duke was a Demcorat first, and so I believe Al Gores father..

Could you post anything dumber? Come on, you can do it.. give it a shot..
Actually DAvid Duke switched to the GOP and then Tea Party, besides this isn't the 1870's anymore.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Actually DAvid Duke switched to the GOP and then Tea Party.
yeah, he SWITCHED to the GOP (hence the "at first").. and he got far more support when he was a Democrat..

Comprehension needs some work there..

Old 03-14-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
besides this isn't the 1870's anymore.
How does that relate to the discussion? YOU are the one who brought up the KKK, not me.. If you are going to sit here and equate Republicans to slavery which happened far earlier than 1870's, then clearly the KKK and their Democratic history holds value, correct?

Old 03-14-2014, 10:32 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Johnson_(colonist)

Notably, he is recognized for attaining great wealth after having been an indentured servant and for being one of the first legally recognized black slaveowners in the English colonies.

I stand corrected, he was the first black slaveowner, but you are equating indentured servants with slaves, and they arent the same thing.
You said he was the first slave owner in this country, see your words:

Quote:

pghquest

The first slave owner in america happened to be black.. Anthony Johnson
As I stated, he was not the first slave owner in this country - the Spanish brought African slaves to America in the 1500s. Also, John Punch was the first black man to be legally declared a servant for life (i.e. a slave) in 1640, during which time Anthony Johnson was still an indentured servant himself.

Anthony Johnson was one of the first "black slave owners." But he was not the first person to own a black slave in this country.

Get your facts straight. This is old news to me. You may have just found it out a few years ago via your biased online associations, but Johnson was not the first slave owner in America.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

As I stated, he was not the first slave owner in this country - the Spanish brought African slaves to America in the 1500s. Also, John Punch was the first black man to be legally declared a servant for life (i.e. a slave) in 1640, during which time Anthony Johnson was still an indentured servant himself.

Anthony Johnson was one of the first "black slave owners." But he was not the first person to own a black slave in this country.

Get your facts straight. This is old news to me. You may have just found it out a few years ago via your biased online associations, but Johnson was not the first slave owner in America.
What part of
Quote:
I stand corrected, he was the first black slaveowner, but you are equating indentured servants with slaves, and they arent the same thing.
Didnt you understand?

Old 03-14-2014, 10:39 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

Get your facts straight. Anthony Johnson went to court to legalize owning slaves because he didn't want to free his indentured servant. There wasn't legal slavery before then, he started it. The ONLY thing that was legal was indentured servitude and a black man changed all of that. Please don't try to rewrite history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies