Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 08:05 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,137,755 times

Advertisements

And some people wonder why the Republican Party does not have a diverse electorate...

Quote:
It’s been well-documented that the GOP is in the middle of an aggressive rebranding campaign intended to woo African-American voters, and in the midst of this, yet another Republican congressional candidate has provoked cries of racial insensitivity.

In a post on his Facebook page that was—in theory, anyway—about federal spending, Jim Brown, who’s running in Arizona’s 2nd Congressional District, compared modern-day “entitlements” to slavery. But even more disturbing, perhaps, he denied that slavery was, first and foremost, a brutally violent institution:
Arizona Republican Compares Government Spending to Slavery - The Root
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 08:19 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
I dont see where he said it wasnt so bad.. I see where he compared government spending which perpetuates poverty to slavery.. he might have a point considering the tens of millions stuck in poverty and unable to leave because government programs encourage people to stay there.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:21 AM

13,973 posts, read 5,634,219 times
No defense for someone being that stupid in the Facebook era.

And once more, like I said with Bachmann, it makes me think he got paid by the DNC to post something that stupid knowing how our society operates on the guilt by association fallacy.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:26 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,463,584 times
What always gets me is how Republicans dismiss people like this as just lone nuts...yet they keep coming out over and over. Also that they are elected officials that spout this crap and get elected as representatives for others.

Not all conservatives are bigots, and not all bigots are conservatives, but it seems like there are 9 stories for a mainstream conservative host (like Rush, Beck, Savage) or elected official spouting off some **** like this...compred to some obscure crank with a blog lib or wacky college professor spouting off about **** like this. It seems to be getting worse as the right seems to be moving farther to the right while expelling the moderates as RINO's.

I expect some number of people to be like this, ~5% of the population has a mental illness severe enough to impact their lives. The group they belong to shouldn't be to blame...unless they are elected to represent them or listened to by tens of thousands of people that don't abandon them after they spout this crap. If the person is a closet KKK member, no fault for voting for them. Wearing their robes, or spouting off this crap, at campaign rallies and those voters endorse their views.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:30 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
What always gets me is how Republicans dismiss people like this as just lone nuts...yet they keep coming out over and over. Also that they are elected officials that spout this crap and get elected as representatives for others..
Dismissing people is thinking its acceptable to have a government which perpetuates poverty.. As if somehow we just cut them a check they will disappear, while ignoring the other costs on society, like the high crime rates which results, the police force which is needed, the murder rate, the numbers of people in jail, and higher taxes needed to pay for it..

Dismissing people is the Democratic method to deal with society.. Create poverty, whine that people are poor, and then ignore the ramifications of the damages being caused and suggest more programs to continue the poverty cycle.

We hear non stop about how Democrats equate a job to slavery for the "big corporations" while ignoring that the only way out of poverty is a means to produce.. NOT government checks.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:35 AM

872 posts, read 828,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I dont see where he said it wasnt so bad.. I see where he compared government spending which perpetuates poverty to slavery.. he might have a point considering the tens of millions stuck in poverty and unable to leave because government programs encourage people to stay there.

Yea, he did not say it wasn't so bad....no where in his post does it say that.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:37 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
What always gets me is how Republicans dismiss people like this as just lone nuts...yet they keep coming out over and over. Also that they are elected officials that spout this crap and get elected as representatives for others.
And don't even get me started on those who defend politicians that constantly lie to us.

Any politician not bright enough to know better than to post off the cuff remarks on Facebook isn't likely one who thinks things through very thoroughly.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:38 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,461,752 times
Another propaganda hit piece by the paid misinformation Pravda team.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:41 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,137,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
"Back in the day of slavery, slaves were kept in slavery by denying them education and opportunity while providing them with their basic needs .. Not by beating them and starving them. (Although there were isolated cases if course) Basically slave owners took pretty good care of their slaves and livestock and this kept business rolling along."

I believe the link was referring to the bold portion of this statement. "wasn't so bad" technically wasn't said but one can draw a conclusion from the statement's context that since owners took good care of their slaves their lives weren't that bad... You have to look at the statement in its entirety to draw the same common sense conclusion as the author...

Old 03-14-2014, 08:42 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,213,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
Yea, he did not say it wasn't so bad....no where in his post does it say that.
He certainly minimized it.

To compare undisciplined spending to slavery is to diminish the ills of slavery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies