Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 02:52 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,362,796 times

Advertisements

Do they cater this much to the Catholic kids during Lent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 07:10 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,733,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Yes. Have for years.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:17 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,677,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I certainly understood the point you were making in your posts ...... you are absolutely correct, it is important to "draw the line somewhere". There will always be those that somehow think Education should be an "experience" to learn "culture". These are the same mind-sets that go to expensive Universities for the "College Experience" and fail to get an education that will be useful to get a job.

If New Yorkers are dumb enough to bend all their school rules for accommodation to each and every Religion, lack of Religion, ethnic group or whatever - instead of concentrating on Education .... then it is up to the local Taxpayers to set them straight. Exactly the same thing for St Paul, Nashville, Seattle or Dallas. People have to step up and draw that line. They have to do it early before they go so far down that slippery slope that they lose it all. By "all", I mean the entire Education process.

School lunches should offer variety, they should decide at the local level what to offer .... the Federal Government has no business mandating what our children eat. Kids that have Religious dietary restrictions should bring their lunches, just as the children who have food allergies do.

So ... I don't care what they do in New York City because I'm an 'active' citizen and attend both School Board meetings and City Council meetings when these types of issues arise in my city. I pay attention to issues, it's my city, my schools, my children (now grandchildren) and it's my tax dollars.

The "agenda" around my area is Educate the Children .... PERIOD.
Why not be fair and allow all foods including junk food? Why one religion must have their own food when others are excluded?

Old 03-18-2014, 08:42 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,441,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
How about chinese food (Pork fried Rice)?
Add everything! Why not embrace diversity! The loons are so comical.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:50 AM

395 posts, read 546,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
That was my point... culture and religion are generally intertwined. As far as dietary choices, I see no problem offering a diverse menu of food choices. Eating food that would fall into "islamic dietary guidelines" does not mean the school is endorsing a particular religion. It is simply a choice that should exist.

Students should have the ability to eat as many different foods from as many cultures as possible. That is part of education.

I think that offering an alternative which meets halal requirements, is a good sight different than requiring all food be halal. Basically, it would involve separate food preparation areas for the halal and non halal food.

You might have one alternative which is Halal/Kosher/Vegetarian, with vegetables, dairy and grains...and one option which does not have to meet the halal or kosher guidelines. The problem about making meat halal, is that halal butchering is very specific. The live animal's throat must be slit while the butcher says "God is great". It does not allow for stunning the animal first -- by contrast, in most developed nations, butchers are required to stun animals prior to butchering, for humane reasons. So many people may object to only having halal meat on offer in schools, partially for cruelty concerns, and partially because it essentially disallows anyone but muslim butchers to supply meat contracts.
What is Halal Meat?
Dhabiha This is the name for the halal method of slaughter, which requires that animals are killed with a swift incision to the throat from a razor sharp blade. The animal must never see another animal being slaughtered nor must it ever see the blade being sharpened. Animals must be checked prior to slaughter to ensure they are healthy and given clean water to drink, once they have drunk they are turned to face Mecca, the name of Allah is spoken and then the throat is cut and the blood drained from the carcass.

Before anyone gets their knickers in a twist, Kosher meat butchering also does not allow for stunning the animal first.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:52 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,583,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Most schools have always had pizza on Fridays even not during Lent.
Does that count as catering to Catholics ?

Old 03-18-2014, 09:20 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,677,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Add everything! Why not embrace diversity! The loons are so comical.
Halal is a religious diet request. Why are we pushing religion in public schools?

Old 03-18-2014, 12:15 PM

395 posts, read 546,900 times
Having a halal option is not pushing religion, it is providing for all students so that their faith requirements are not subverted.

I don't think everything should be halal, but there should be safe options for these children.

Eating within dietary restraints is a huge deal for Muslims, we should be sensitive to that.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:18 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,336,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie77 View Post

I don't think everything should be halal, but there should be safe options for these children.
There are. It's called bringing your own lunch. Schools should get out of the food industry completely. It's ridiculous how far the idiocy has come.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:21 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,341,503 times
Just add a vegetarian option. Many problems solved at once.
If parents STILL have a problem, pack your kid's lunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies