Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 03:52 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,047,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
So I'm gathering your argument is that it is ok to observe Christian food options, but not Muslim? Your solution is to build a muslim school?

Newsflash: Muslims have the same rights in this country as you do. They can attend the same public schools as Christian children if they so desire. Build a bridge and get over it.
What bothers me about this is that we keep having to accomodate Muslims in order to keep them happy. They ask for something, we give it to them. They ask for more, we give more. They live in our nation yet its WE who have to constantly keep bending over backwards to make them feel comfortable and accepted.

Go to an Islamic nation and ask Muslims to accomodate our beliefs and customs so that we can feel accepted and comfortable there and what would they do? Laugh in our faces and tell you to adapt to their laws and customs or get the eff out if you don't like it.

This is the Muslim way. Give them an inch and they'll take a mile, and they will NEVER be kind enough to reciprocate and do the same for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 04:02 PM

679 posts, read 616,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
What bothers me about this is that we keep having to accomodate Muslims in order to keep them happy. They ask for something, we give it to them. They ask for more, we give more. They live in our nation yet its WE who have to constantly keep bending over backwards to make them feel comfortable and accepted.

Go to an Islamic nation and ask Muslims to accomodate our beliefs and customs so that we can feel accepted and comfortable there and what would they do? Laugh in our faces and tell you to adapt to their laws and customs or get the eff out if you don't like it.

This is the Muslim way. Give them an inch and they'll take a mile, and they will NEVER be kind enough to reciprocate and do the same for us.

When you use these words like Always and Never you just set yourself up to easily be proven wrong. And if you think that trying to make all people happy is a bad thing, then that's your issue, if they are citizens in our country then they should be treated equally and we should look into their worries and needs as well as others. Just because they believe in a different religion from others should be irrelevant to the discussion.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:24 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,612,045 times
Quote:

Not true,you just talk,you don't know,i wonder when was the last time you traveled overseas,you need to see how much accomodations american and westerners are offered in the muslim countries.

Many americans expatriate live in the Gulf states,they're not complaining,so far you're the only

Old 03-18-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eborg View Post

When you use these words like Always and Never you just set yourself up to easily be proven wrong. And if you think that trying to make all people happy is a bad thing, then that's your issue, if they are citizens in our country then they should be treated equally and we should look into their worries and needs as well as others. Just because they believe in a different religion from others should be irrelevant to the discussion.
So I'm suppose to believe a random gif? And even if it were true, its pretty sad that people need to be protected to do such simple things in Muslim nations.

I'm not against trying to accomodate people of different ethnicities. I'm against trying so hard to accomodate ONE GROUP by bending over backwards to keep that one group relatively happy. How many other immigrant groups in the US need so much attention to keep them placated? Most immigrants seem to be pretty happy to just be in the US and being given an opportunity to improve their lives. But with Muslims? Nope. For many this isn't the case.

And as I said above. IF you go to an Islamic nation expecting them to accomodate us, fat chance that will ever happen. So goes the hypocrisy of Muslims.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
Not true,you just talk,you don't know,i wonder when was the last time you traveled overseas,you need to see how much accomodations american and westerners are offered in the muslim countries.

Many americans expatriate live in the Gulf states,they're not complaining,so far you're the only
So you're saying all this is a lie?

UAE laws you must know to stay out of trouble - Emirates 24/7

No kissing, no touching
If you have been residing in the UAE for a while, you might already have figured it out. Holding hands may be OK, but kissing and petting is not. Expect a tap on your shoulder, or a correcting finger reminding you to abide by the local customs, deeming this behavior inappropriate.
No swearing/making indecent gestures
Not everybody will be offended by it to the same extent, but in the UAE it is forbidden. “No swearing and no indecent gesturing†is the warning in many tourist guidebooks as it has occurred in the past that unaware foreign visitors or residents have been fined or imprisoned for expressing themselves in a way that is not be appreciated in the UAE.
Giving the finger, pulling out your tongue and even a somewhat aggressive hand move are all considered indecent.
Moving your thumb up and down hoping to catch a hitch hike is not done and pointing at something or someone is considered impolite.
No taking pictures of others without permission
Again, it will most likely involve the innocent, unaware tourist who likes to capture images of everything looking just a little different than back home. Forget about it. Any person being captured on camera in any public space in the UAE can bring the photographer to court.
Especially women and families are sensitive towards the issue. Fines are the result.
Disrespecting any religion
Religious values are widely respected in the UAE. As such, committing blasphemy or sacrilege against any religion is considered deeply offensive.
Islam being the official religion of the UAE, some simple rules are followed in order to show respect and avoid misunderstandings, states the Code of Conduct.
It is important to be aware of these rules, as religious values may not be the same all over the world. When a newspaper contains the name of the Prophet (PBUH), do not use it as wrapping paper. When you hear the call for prayer, do not disrupt its sound in an obvious way. Do not forget that during Ramadan rules are different all together.
No sharing private space with opposite sex
Strictly speaking, sharing a private space with a member of the opposite sex when not related by family ties or marriage is forbidden. Private space would be a house, room, hotel room and even car.
However, certain behavior is tolerated. Hotel reservations are easily made for unmarried couples wanting to share a room and there are many cases of single men and women sharing a villa, apartment and even a room. Any punishment depends on the situation.
No indecent clothing
Another way the UAE decency law may affect the unsuspecting resident is by the guidelines it puts on clothing. Summer heat may tempt you to pull out the most exotic outfit you have to parade and mingle in the place where it’s all about the looks. Wrong again.
In public places, guidelines say shorts and skirts need to be of appropriate length not to indecently expose parts of the body, be transparent, or display obscene or offensive pictures and slogans. On beaches rules are more lenient; swimwear is accepted but should be appropriate. Top-less sunbathing or the wearing of a thong is not allowed

THIS is 'accomodating' westerners?? REALLY??!?!?

Old 03-18-2014, 09:10 PM

679 posts, read 616,796 times
Quote:
So I'm suppose to believe a random gif? And even if it were true, its pretty sad that people need to be protected to do such simple things in Muslim nations.

I'm not against trying to accomodate people of different ethnicities. I'm against trying so hard to accomodate ONE GROUP by bending over backwards to keep that one group relatively happy. How many other immigrant groups in the US need so much attention to keep them placated? Most immigrants seem to be pretty happy to just be in the US and being given an opportunity to improve their lives. But with Muslims? Nope. For many this isn't the case.

And as I said above. IF you go to an Islamic nation expecting them to accomodate us, fat chance that will ever happen. So goes the hypocrisy of Muslims.
One and this is just a personal point for me...its a jpg, not a gif.

Two, as the jpg stated the people needed to be protected on both sides because of the scale of the religious violence.

Three, we try to accommodate all sorts of groups in this country, the government should try to be accommodating to its citizenry. There are groups lobbying for preferential treatment on multiple, multiple fronts and to think that its a one-sided deal towards Muslims is to GREATLY misunderstand how things are going.

Four, you portray these Islamic nations as universally being horrible in the way they treat non-Muslim citizens, but then you show that as if it is reason for us to not be helpful to our Muslim citizens and that seems fairly ridiculous and irrelevant. Hopefully if the Islamic countries are being horrible and they see us treating our own Muslim population with respect they may realize that maybe some religious freedom is a good thing. If on the other hand we say hey you see these people that are in a whole different country but just so happen to be a part of the same religion as you, we're going to judge you by what they do. Then we're kinda a-holes

Old 03-18-2014, 09:46 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,201,929 times
Quote:

Do you really think this country is really doing that much??? Are there millions of Muslims demanding things? I just don't see it. Asking for ONE more lunch option at school doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Especially in a diverse school system like NYC.

Also, welcome to America. We are made up of many different cultures and religions. It sounds like maybe you prefer that we treat minorities the same way minorities, you perceive, are treated in other countries??? I don't get it. That is NOT what this country is about. Women aren't allowed to drive cars in Saudi Arabia so -- we should do the same here??? Am I reading you correctly?

Old 03-18-2014, 10:04 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,846,586 times
I had read Muslims make up 22% of Nyc's school population. If it is not more expensive to provide this food option, I don't see why the school would not provide meal options that 22% of the student body wants. It's school, not prison.
I'm 31 and live in manhattan. I don't have $50k a year to send my kids to private school and have no desire to raise them in that atmosphere. I'll do the fake rah rah cheer that yay diversity is so great and enriching....but many Muslims show absolutely no attempt or desire to assimilate into american culture. Why come here if you have no desire to be American? And not just Muslims....there's been stories about people in Chinatown being kicked out of their apartments after living there 30 years....and don't speak a word of English. Lived underground and off the grid, then wanted a gov't solution when they had issues with their housing.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:48 AM

395 posts, read 548,109 times
Quote:

I think we need to differentiate between Arab nations...islamic nations...and nations which are predominantly muslim.

Turkey, Morocco, Egypt, and Indonesia, for example, are predominantly Muslim, but they have historically been very accepting of diverse views, and yes, you find all faiths are protected there. Like the US, they have a history of being secular states.

States under syariah law are a different matter. But then if the US was a fundamentalist Christian state, I suppose our ways would be different, also.

The USA is a secular nation. We do not need to promote every faith, but we need to provide an environment where it is safe and reasonably easy for people to observe their own faiths.

Making halal (or vegetarian would suffice fine for Hindus, Muslims and Orthodox jews, as was noted before) options available...NOT replacing ALL options with only halal, but providing for that dietary restriction via an option...is a reasonable, sane thing for a secular nation to do in its institutions that provide food.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:50 AM

395 posts, read 548,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
We've got a few people who only eat halal at work. Our office manager either orders somewhere halal or reserves vegetarians stuff for them. No one has an issue. Where I live, loads of restaurants serve "unlabeled" halal meat with no issues. We don't have that many muslims.
Requiring halal butchering, if one goes by the book, is discriminatory to non-muslim food providers and may be offensive to some who do not want contracts awarded on the basis of religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies