Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 02:03 PM

11,152 posts, read 10,729,610 times

Advertisements

We didn't overhaul health care, we overhauled the insurance industry and turned it into a mandated ponzi scheme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 02:04 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,346,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post

Still, the obvious question is: We changed the $2.7 trillion health care system to sign up 4.2 million people?"
That's okay. November 2014 is on the way. After that a Republican led House and Senate can start rewriting this mess.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:07 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,836,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
We didn't overhaul health care, we overhauled the insurance industry and turned it into a mandated ponzi scheme.
Exactly. Obama wouldn't even touch reducing out of control costs, like tort reform because his and the democrats campaign contributors would not like that.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:17 PM

1,199 posts, read 735,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
That's okay. November 2014 is on the way. After that a Republican led House and Senate can start rewriting this mess.
Better to rewrite than repeal, because most Americans DONT WANT TO REPEAL

Kaiser Health Tracking Poll: February 2014 | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

That same article shows another problem with the ACA:lack of awareness. I fully hold Obama accountable for not doing better at marketing and educating people on the law. It is so bad that some on both sides of the aisle, left and right, think we implemented single payer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Exactly. Obama wouldn't even touch reducing out of control costs, like tort reform because his and the democrats campaign contributors would not like that.
To bad Tort reform didn't lower costs for patients in texas
Tort Reform Fails to Reduce Health Care Costs
ANALYSIS: The mythical benefits of tort reform in Texas | Center for Public Integrity
Studies: Texas Tort Reform Has Had No Effect on Physician Supply, Lowering Costs « D Healthcare Daily

And malpractice premiums have been dropping for years

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/812451
Hospitals' malpractice costs drop by $3 million from last year - NY Daily News
Maryland Medical Malpractice Insurance Costs Keep Dropping

Sorry to burst your bubble on how tort reform would lower costs. It just doesnt

Old 03-17-2014, 02:18 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,964,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
The thing is any "fix" is either going to be introduction of a public option or moving towards a single payer system. Any party that openly advocates reintroducing pre-existing condition drops, and lifetime limits on coverage will be out of power for a long, long time. So good luck with running on repealing AMA.

Republican's will keep the house mostly because of gerrymandering, and they will get Senate seats as well, but they're not going to get anywhere near the 60 seats they're going to need to actually push an agenda. They'll simply be even more effectively obstructionist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life
The hospital associations and the AMA need to be taken to task over open pricing for certain. And although people like to clamour for tort reform it hasn't done squat to control costs in the states that have already passed lawsuit limits.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:19 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,043,670 times
I'm in my early 20s, I'm a college student. I was working full time at a restaurant in downtown San Francisco, after Obamacare my hours got cut to 25. It was either that or my employer would have been forced to lay people off or raise his prices. Something he cannot afford to do. He was looking at opening a second location, not going to happen now. My personal life is a bit more difficult, we had to get another roommate to help cover the rent and I'm looking for a second part time job, which isn't hard to find in California, but still my life, and the life of my boss, was far easier before Obamacare. And the uninsured, are still uninsured. And many of those who already were insured are now also uninsured. There is nothing''Affordable''about the Affordable Care Act. Nobody can afford it.

Liberals should have listened to us, we tried warning you, but you guys just kept on drinking the Kool-Aid. Now the whole country is in a mess because of your naivete' and '' Obama is the Messiah'' mentality. Oh well, just let this be a lesson for you, maybe now you won't be fooled into voting for Hillary.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:25 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,812,132 times
I keep forgetting that healthcare insurance in the U.S. was perfect before the ACA.

The majority of people were and remain insured by their employer's large group healthcare plans. Those plans now conform with ACA legislation. They are now enrolled in "Obamacare".

The worlds oldest universal healthcare system was created in Germany in 1883. It has been continuously amended and reformed, since then. Employers pay about half the premiums for their employees.
Insurance for the poor, the elderly, the unemployed and disabled are paid for by the community.

At the turn of the century, Theodore Roosevelt, a Republican, campaigned on a promise to create a universal healthcare system for the U.S., modeled after the one in Germany. No president keeps all campaign promises, even when the majority of Congress favors him.

Instead, as the decades ensued, government of the people, allowed lobbies representing hospitals, private insurers, big pharma, medical equipment manufacturers and more to buy seats at the table to determine outcomes that favored their interests.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:28 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,964,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
I'm in my early 20s, I'm a college student. I was working full time at a restaurant in downtown San Francisco, after Obamacare my hours got cut to 25. It was either that or my employer would have been forced to lay people off or raise his prices. Something he cannot afford to do. He was looking at opening a second location, not going to happen now. My personal life is a bit more difficult, we had to get another roommate to help cover the rent and I'm looking for a second part time job, which isn't hard to find in California, but still my life, and the life of my boss, was far easier before Obamacare. And the uninsured, are still uninsured. And many of those who already were insured are now also uninsured. There is nothing''Affordable''about the Affordable Care Act. Nobody can afford it.

Liberals should have listened to us, we tried warning you, but you guys just kept on drinking the Kool-Aid. Now the whole country is in a mess because of your naivete' and '' Obama is the Messiah'' mentality. Oh well, just let this be a lesson for you, maybe now you won't be fooled into voting for Hillary.
Were you going without health insurance before Obamacare? Do you not have any sense of personal responsibility to be covered so you didn't pass on the costs to taxpayers after bankrupting yourself?

Or are you advocating a more affordable public option, or single payer?

Old 03-17-2014, 02:30 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,485,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Neither do Republican contributors.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:31 PM

1,199 posts, read 735,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post

The ACA is barley a liberal plan as I have describes in my post earlier. Obama was an idiot to try and appeal to the DINO's (Democrat in name only) by not offering a public option at the least, and then of course, to be swayed by health care lobbyist. Any one who thinks that the ACA is a left wing goal needs to get reevaluated. Those who advocated single payer are laughing because we also knew this was going to happen because the ACA was built upon the old system, and not actually overhauled
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies