Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2014, 07:07 PM

21,531 posts, read 10,658,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveYOU2 View Post
And if you're caught, don't act like a hard ass. Thought these Rap listening teens learned from Trayvon Martin. Show respect to your elders.
We don't know that he was acting like a hard ass. I suspect he wasn't.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:19 PM

3,622 posts, read 3,903,603 times
I understand why the father took the actions he did, but at the same time getting abstract a bit part of the point we have a justice system is to avoid blood feud style situations where someone doesn't get justice and feels honor-bound to take matters into their own hands. This guy even if his actions were understandable really needs to get hit with at least a wrongful death or manslaughter charge because if nothing happens to him the victim's family would likely feel (appropriately, I think) the need to go after the guy outside the law.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:30 PM

700 posts, read 639,887 times
Seeing a disturbing rise of "I thought he was reaching for a gun" being successfully argued as a justifiable self-defense argument by, ironically and infuriatingly, the gun-toting aggressor.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:44 PM

279 posts, read 183,819 times
Where I live, that shooter, regardless of all the excuses he made, wouldn't walk the streets for long.
You don't shoot my kids just because your teenage daughter is a lying $lut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
I understand why the father took the actions he did, but at the same time getting abstract a bit part of the point we have a justice system is to avoid blood feud style situations where someone doesn't get justice and feels honor-bound to take matters into their own hands. This guy even if his actions were understandable really needs to get hit with at least a wrongful death or manslaughter charge because if nothing happens to him the victim's family would likely feel (appropriately, I think) the need to go after the guy outside the law.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:07 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,565,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
So what would you do if you were in this guys shoe? If someone woke you up in the middle of the night , a stranger in your daughters bedroom , and your daughter tells you that she doesnt know this boy. Then all of a sudden you see him reach down for something while you are trying to ask him some questions? I mean that as what the father said , did the boy really reach for something? We dont know because none of us were there. So this can go a few different ways.

Do you not realize in this world of reality that break ins happen , families are raped and murdered. Usually a suspect has some type of weapon on them as well. Thats REALITY , not gun nut freaks.
Reality my azz. You could count the number of rapes occurring in a fully occupied house by a single break in perp who then undresses completely and climbs under the covers with his victim with her not making one squeak while he lays his weapon down on ,......well.......wondering here if indeed it has EVER happened in that fashion, but don't let all that fear mongering bullcrap go to waste when your agenda might suffer.

Funny he even bothered to ask that question of his daughter that according to everyone on here he thought was getting raped: "do you know this kid" why do you people think that was the first question he asked? You think your daughter's being raped, you gonna ask for the rapists cred's? Duuuuuh.

Oh yeah, I'm believing this azzhat thought for sure the kid in bed with his daughter, both of them behaving like a couple of deer caught in the headlights, NO SCREAMING, NO FIGHTING, NO STRUGGLE going on at all, daughter seeing daddy armed and not yelling "HELP daddy this guys raping me" even after the father confronted them, was actually raping his daughter.

You do know the little brother walked in on them, and didn't get shot by this REALITY rapist, eh?

Old 03-18-2014, 08:15 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,314,874 times
No, the dad's story isn't based on the location. It based on the father's perception of threat to himself.

The exact same scenario could occur with his daughter on their front lawn, in car right outside their home.

If the daughter is not at home at 2am and the dad goes searching for her and finds her sitting in a car with another teen and he has brought his gun with him and he asks his daughter if she knows the kid and she says no the same believability as finding your daughter in bed with a teen and believing her if she says she doesn't know him.

Now the exact same violence that you justify could happen and the same garbage thinking justifying the brutality would stand.

This is why your thinking on this is so messed up because your way justifies shooting a person who has not attacked anyone and who isn't even armed based on someone's claimed perception of fear.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
If the teen really did 'reach for something,' I might have shot. I don't believe he reached for anything, but there's no disprove dad's story.
Nonsense. Again what you are suggesting opens up all kinds of ways to murder someone and get away with it.

We at least in this society used to say before you a civilian takes someone's life in self defense. At least the person should have a weapon and be threatening with the weapon and you can't retreat or if the person is physically attacking you.

You all's new standard is a person doesn't have to attack you, doesn't have to Be menacing you with a weapon.

Doesn't have to be be doing anything wrong at all and based on the perception of fear a shooting is justified.

This is very weird thinking.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eborg View Post
From the article

So the elements are your daughter has informed you that there is a stranger in her room. You call the cops, the stranger begins to argue with you. The stranger then goes to grab something.

At that moment you've got to think about protecting your defenseless daughter and the rest of your family. You're in an argument with someone that sees you have a gun and they go to grab something, there's a chance that something could be a weapon and if it is, things could get horrible. Obviously the man made attempts to handle the situation without shooting the kid.

Now if the father is lying about the reaching or the course of events (which he could be) then my opinion could change. But in this portrayal of events, I think the father was in the right.

What you describe is not believable.

Again, if we allow this new standard of self defense based on flimsy fantasy stories to justify shooting an unarmed kid, who didn't attack anyone and who wasn't in any way an actual threat based on the shooter's claimed perceptions of fear without regard to reality is a very dangerous standard.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveYOU2 View Post
This occurred inside someones home. Your analogies are null
No my analogies are spot on

Old 03-18-2014, 08:41 PM

679 posts, read 616,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
What you describe is not believable.

Again, if we allow this new standard of self defense based on flimsy fantasy stories to justify shooting an unarmed kid, who didn't attack anyone and who wasn't in any way an actual threat based on the shooter's claimed perceptions of fear without regard to reality is a very dangerous standard.
Which part is not believable?

If the daughter is clearly stating she doesn't know him and the boy obviously knows she does and he starts arguing and the Dad says I'm calling the cops, and proceeds to call 911. The boy yells "don't call the cops wtf she knows me, lkjfasdjf f this I'll show you" and then proceeds to reach down to reach for his cell phone to show pictures and video that he has of the two of them together to PROVE that she knows him. The father who has been arguing to be quiet and whatever sees this as a possible move for a weapon given the language used in the heated moment and shoots the boy believing him to be reaching for a gun.

Is that the scenario that happened, I doubt it. But it is a scenario that fits the situation from the very few details given on what actually did occur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies