Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2014, 07:17 AM

40,954 posts, read 49,234,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I'm sure you're right about that. Even killing another person in time of war stays with you for the rest of your life.
They took him away for medical attention. I'm sure it's devastating to him also.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:23 AM

5,663 posts, read 5,093,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
All of the fathers claiming they would shoot are saying so because they are upset that they FAILED as a parent...
No, any clear knowlege of failure as a parent would have to come AFTER the fact. When a strange man, an intruder, is in your home, in your daughter's bedroom, and she says she does not know him, the normal reaction for any father would be to stop him by any means necessary, including termination. The father here did the right thing UNDER THE CIRCUMSTANCES. Knowing the facts afterwards may clarify that another course of action might have been better, but at the moment he acted properly (given that all we've seen in the news reports are accurate.) Just because his daughter is a lying skank does not mean he should be less vigilant about protecting her within the family home.

Hindsight is 20/20.

I've made mistakes in my life which became clear much later. But based on what I knew at the moment I made those choices (and not all I learned afterwards) they were usually proper at the time. We can sit here and apply all that is now known to the events, but we were not in that room and did not see in detail nor hear what was said by each party. We have the luxury of time and distance. If the reporting is accurate, the daughter is undoubtedly to blame, as is the boy for knowingly and willingly putting himself in that room under those conditions at that hour. I still contend that the father did the right thing unless it comes to light that he knew more than is being told in the news stories.

I believe I would have done the same, but doubt that I would have asked any questions before firing upon someone I found in my daughters room at such an hour. My feeling is that any intruder I find in my home, and that includes anyone who I am not previously aware of, whom I did not knowingly admit, and who is trying to conceal their presence from me as the homeowner, is subject to being shot on sight. My go-to gun is kept loaded and quickly available when I retire for the night. I truly hope I never have occasion to use it.

Last edited by Workin_Hard; 03-19-2014 at 07:37 AM..

Old 03-19-2014, 07:24 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,514,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
They took him away for medical attention. I'm sure it's devastating to him also.
He had a panic attack. Big deal.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
No, any clear knowlege of failure as a parent would have to come AFTER the fact. When a strange man, an intruder, is in your home, in your daughter's bedroom, and she says she does not know him, the normal reaction for any father would be to stop him by any means necessary, including termination. The father here did the right thing UNDER THE CIRCUMSTANCES. Knowing the facts afterwards may clarify that another course of action might have been better, but at the moment he acted properly (given that all we've seen in the news reports are accurate.) Just because his daughter is a lying skank does not mean he should be less vigilant about protecting her within the family home.

Hindsight is 20/20.

I've made mistakes in my life which became clear much later. But based on what I knew at the moment I made those choices (and not all I learned afterwards) they were usually proper at the time. We can sit here and apply all that is now known to the events, but we were not in that room and did not see in detail nor hear what was said by each party. We have the luxury of time and distance. If the reporting is accurate, the daughter is undoubtedly to blame, as is the boy for knowingly and willingly putting himself in that room under those conditions at that hour. I still contend that the father did the right thing unless it comes to light that he knew more than is being told in the news stories.

I believe I would have done the same, but doubt that I would have asked any questions before firing upon someone I found in my daughters room at such an hour. My feeling is that any intruder I find in my home, and that includes anyone who I am not previously aware of, whom I did not knowingly admit, and who is trying to conceal their presence from me as the homeowner, is subject to being shot on sight. My go-to gun is kept loaded and quickly available when I retire for the night.
I'd actually have more understanding of you than the dad. He didn't shoot on sight out of fear or as an instinctual reaction to protect one's family. He supposedly shot the teen after an 'argument' of some sort and because the teen 'reached for something.' My guess is the 'argument' was about the daughter, the teen didn't reach for anything, and the dad shot due to anger, not fear.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
He had a panic attack. Big deal.
Yeah, shooting and killing anyone for any reason is no big deal.

All those soldiers with PTSD should just shake it off and get over it.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Yeah, shooting and killing anyone for any reason is no big deal.

All those soldiers with PTSD should just shake it off and get over it.
The father has PTSD ? Were you his hospital shrink ? Some killers are devastated, others aren't. Some even become celebrities.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
The father has PTSD ? Were you his hospital shrink ? Some killers are devastated, others aren't. Some even become celebrities.
The man is not a "Killer". Normal well adjusted men or women would probably break down over having to shoot someone.

I've hunted, shot deer and other animals. It would kill me to have to shoot another human.

Sorry you would find it so easy to do.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:02 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,659,997 times
Quote:
I'd actually have more understanding of you than the dad. He didn't shoot on sight out of fear or as an instinctual reaction to protect one's family. He supposedly shot the teen after an 'argument' of some sort and because the teen 'reached for something.' My guess is the 'argument' was about the daughter, the teen didn't reach for anything, and the dad shot due to anger, not fear.
How do you know ? Were you there ? Are you his shrink ? Are you the doctor ? Are you a witness?

Let me answer for you , NO .. We can only go by the information provided to us so far.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:49 AM

279 posts, read 183,434 times
Excellent points on human nature... I usually encountered that kind of insights from LEOs with years of experience. Are you a one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
We don't agree at all.

The vast majority of people are not killing machines and I've heard no facts presented that would lead us to believe that this father was one, either. But.......put a gun in the hand of any human being and place them in a scenario where emotions suddenly run wild and you have a killer that would never, ever otherwise be one.

Here we have yet another gun owner - likely well-intentioned - whose gun did no protecting, but served only to wreak havoc on his family's future.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:52 AM

279 posts, read 183,434 times
That 17 yo was invited by the rightful resident of that property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Unless your kid told you where he was going and had your permission I would say that makes him a bit of a lying, sneaking **** himself. Not to mention dumber than a box of rocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies