Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 06:01 PM

1,074 posts, read 759,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Teaching kids about adjusting sights and how it impacts the bullet impact provides a great application of geometry and trig. Understanding bullet drop over distance, an excellent example of physics in action. Recoil? Force and momentum.

I'd have to say all of that is more useful than say looking at old paintings, let alone the junk that passes for "modern art".
Well, as an "artist" (I rarely do anything anymore) I have to agree with you on "modern art." But art does have value, just as studying any other subject has value. If a student doesn't get some exposure to art, how will they learn to appreciate it, or, if they are so inclined, realize that may be what they want to pursue in life?

Kids need exposure to a lot of things, including the arts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 06:03 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,033,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I agree that it should be a parent's job to teach firearms safety. That being said, there are too many people out there who are irrationally afraid of guns and wouldn't even be in the same room with one, much less teach their children about the responsible use of firearms. "Guns are bad, mmmkay" is not a responsible way to teach firearms safety.
Yes you are correct. If you don't grow up around em and learn how to use them then you are.......well........it appears against em or so THEY are told. Like I have said I taught all mine how to use the things but still keep em locked up because they have friends coming over and I'm not gonna leave a loaded shotgun by the door for them to "wonder" about. It is really common sense......it seems many don't have it in this country anymore.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:04 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,863,944 times
Having attended several Appleseed events I know that the students were taught some US history and yes accurate shooting does require math skills.

Project Appleseed Home

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/appleseed-mission.html

Old 03-21-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamencoFreak View Post
Well, as an "artist" (I rarely do anything anymore) I have to agree with you on "modern art." But art does have value, just as studying any other subject has value. If a student doesn't get some exposure to art, how will they learn to appreciate it, or, if they are so inclined, realize that may be what they want to pursue in life?

Kids need exposure to a lot of things, including the arts.
Yes I agree with your point. I tell my kids to try anything. Join choir and don't like it fine. Join "whatever" and don't like it fine. Just take a shot. You only live once.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Shooting a gun and adjusting to hit a target is not math anymore than a basketball player is using math when he takes a shot. Art is already part of the curriculum that benefit students in many ways, very little to gain by going to a range.
Yup no math skills required...

Minute of Angle (MOA) | National Shooting Sports Foundation

Old 03-21-2014, 06:10 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,288,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Yes I agree with your point. I tell my kids to try anything. Join choir and don't like it fine. Join "whatever" and don't like it fine. Just take a shot. You only live once.
You know what? You and I disagree on pretty much everything. But on this I'd shake your hand and say "good for you".

Old 03-21-2014, 06:11 PM

11,149 posts, read 10,728,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Good advice. It's what I tell my kids as well. Unfortunately, my daughter loves to sing and she has a voice that sounds a lot like aquarium gravel in a garbage disposal. But hey, she likes doing it, and with the way that pop music is going nowadays that sound may be popular in a few years.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:11 PM

40,955 posts, read 49,260,682 times
Kids should learn on the streets about guns (and sex) just like they do in the hood.
Maybe they could practice by holding up a few 7/11's or doing a few drive bys

How dare a school try to educate kids on the joys, respect and safety of shooting.
I'll bet someday they might even want to try out for shooting in the Winter and Summer Olympics.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
You know what? You and I disagree on pretty much everything. But on this I'd shake your hand and say "good for you".
All about the children..........mine I am very proud of.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Shooting a gun and adjusting to hit a target is not math anymore than a basketball player is using math when he takes a shot. Art is already part of the curriculum that benefit students in many ways, very little to gain by going to a range.
Nope, no math required for shooting...

Millett Sights - Mathematics For Precision Shooters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies