Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 01:55 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
No, dems and liberals just attacked and diverted, some ran to another thread but no reasonable comments or answers from the left.

I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.
--- Thomas Sowell
Again (post 85):

It is not greedy, it is lazy. The "free money" is typically so little that it amazes me some people actually settle for so little. When people choose the "free money" It shows laziness and complete lack of ambition. There two kinds of poor: those who choose, and those who do not choose.

It is also not greedy to make a big salary or big profit. Greed is marked by an unhealthy and excessive desire to have something.

Greed: a selfish and excessive desire for more of something (as money) than is needed

In other words Sowell's comment is a strawman argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 01:58 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,755,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

Greed: a selfish and excessive desire for more of something (as money) than is needed

In other words Sowell's comment is a strawman argument.
Do you put money into a IRA or 401K for retirement? Do you put money aside for your kids education? That is more money than they need now so now it is greedy to put away for the future?

By the lefts mindset, anyone who puts money away for emergency, kids education or retirement is greedy.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:00 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I told you how you would be taxed if you lived overseas, and you jumped into discussing what happens when someone has failed to file taxes and now wants to give up her citizenship.
My response was to the person who suggested that we leave the country if we don't like our earnings being taken away from us at a higher rate than others. I explained that even that wasn't enough to keep the government's hands and the those who don't pay their fair share in taxes' hands out of an expat's pockets.

Furthermore, those Canadian girls had never stepped foot in the U.S., had never earned any money from a U.S. source, and didn't even know they were U.S. citizens. They had been Canadians living in Canada their entire life. The IRS went after them anyway.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:03 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,755,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
My response was to the person who suggested that we leave the country if we don't like our earnings being taken away from us at a higher rate than others. I explained that even that wasn't enough to keep the government's hands and the those who don't pay their fair share in taxes' hands out of an expat's pockets.

Furthermore, those Canadian girls had never stepped foot in the U.S., had never earned any money from a U.S. source, and didn't even know they were U.S. citizens. They had been Canadians living in Canada their entire life. The IRS went after them anyway.
Aaah yes, the accidental Americans up in Canada and the government wants to grab their money too.

The Attack on Accidental Americans - Wendy McElroy - Mises Daily

Old 03-23-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Do you put money into a IRA or 401K for retirement? Do you put money aside for your kids education? That is more money than they need now so now it is greedy to put away for the future?

By the lefts mindset, anyone who puts money away for emergency, kids education or retirement is greedy.
Yes, I max out my 401K, and so does my wife, and no one argues that securing ones future is greedy. I have never heard anyone (liberal or otherwise) make such argument, so you are not being honest here.

I am sorry, but not surprised, you are not comprehending the definition of the word "greed". Perhaps it would help if you post your own definition of it. Or it is the words "excessive desire" which you did not understand?

Old 03-23-2014, 02:05 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,024,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Why would I need all that money. Here we have CEO's who make millions yet do nothing.
Uh, those CEO's make a profit, provide a desired service, and create jobs.

How is that doing "nothing"?

Old 03-23-2014, 02:06 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,269,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNansea View Post
I rarely say this but you're wrong. When Obamacare was first passed, my insurance company sent me a letter that stated one of the three reasons my premium was going up so much was due to anticipation of having to provide insurance to others who cannot afford to pay. And this is nothing new BTW, it's just blatantly being caused by Obamacare now.
The insurance companies aren't providing insurance to people that can't pay. I have no idea why your insurance company would tell you that.

Quote:
You are correct that the insurance premiums for people & businesses not using the exchanges are not based on income. But, older and sicker policyholders who cannot be dropped are being subsidized by those who are paying higher premiums.
I stated as much. Specifically, the most an older policy holder can be charged is 3X the amount that a younger person would be charged. However, the poor aren't being subsidized by higher premiums.

Quote:
If you're on medicare, you are subsidized. If you are on medical, you are being subsidized.Those who get their insurance from the exchange are subsidized if their income is under a certain dollar amount and some other factors. Part of those subsidies are paid for by higher premiums & part are paid for by new taxes.
If you remove the subsidy the premiums wouldn't change.

Quote:
Why do you think it is that you keep hearing that Obamacare will only work if enough young, healthy adults sign up and pay premiums?
Because those people are the least likely to use medical services, so by charging them more and requiring them to sign up the insurance companies can offer policies to older and sicker people at a reduced premium. For example, prior to ACA my premium was $80, but now it is over $200. By the same token someone with a cancer history would be paying the same price; prior to the ACA the high risk group couldn't get insurance.

Quote:
If Nancy Pelosi's comment about having to pass the bill so we can see what's in it didn't make her look like an idiot to you with poor reading comprehension, then don't worry about what we look like to others.
My point is that there is enough wrong with the ACA that we needn't go around making things up.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
How about old friends who made it big and laugh about the big bucks while doing nothing.
Anyone who makes "big bucks" is not "doing nothing".

The only way to generate income (unless you are a government which has no money of its own, and must confiscate it at gunpoint) is to earn it, and that is done by working.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post

I find it hard to believe that someone who does not know she is a citizen would try to give up her US citizenship. Does that make sense to you? Its like trying to sell a car you didn't know you owned.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Lets not bring the racial card into this shall we?

Or has this been the real reason behind the OP all along?
Thomas Sowell is a black commentator on economics and politics.

Should he not reference his heritage when making an argument?

Or are you just upset that he isn't enslaved on the Democratic plantation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies