Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 06:47 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times

Advertisements

Businesses should be allowed to turn anyone away, because it is free association or some other term for it. To me, that is dog whistle language for "I shouldn't have to serve n******, s****, w*******, k****, or f****** if I don't wanna!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 06:52 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,981,966 times
"WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE SERVICE TO ANYONE!"

That sign is prominently posted in many businesses all across the country.
It is, of course, absolutely meaningless, in that no business can refuse service to anyone for any reason, except possibly "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service"
IMO, that sign should be enforced. A business owner SHOULD have the absolute right to control who enters his establishment, and who he will serve!

Old 03-25-2014, 07:32 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,437,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
When it comes to doing business, at discriminating against people because of their inherent traits.

Where do you draw it?
I can't see the link for some reason but, from what I understand, the senator is saying don't draw a line and let the free market draw it. Those who discriminate will lose business to their competitors and put themselves out of business. This isn't the 50's any longer, those who discriminate will lose business, not gain support.

This is getting spun to fit an agenda.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:39 PM

26,511 posts, read 15,088,692 times
Let's use his whole quote for better context:

"“It’s a bill that protects the constitutional right to free association, the right to free speech and private property rights,” he said.

Jensen goes so far as to say that businesses should have the right to deny service based on a customer’s race or religion – whether that’s right or wrong, he says, can be fairly addressed by the free market, not the government. “If someone was a member of the Ku Klux Klan, and they were running a little bakery for instance, the majority of us would find it detestable that they refuse to serve blacks, and guess what? In a matter of weeks or so that business would shut down because no one is going to patronize them,”"

From OP's link.

So we have a Republican condemning the KKK - just arguing for a libertarian perspective of free association. I think it is pathetic for the OP to take this out of that context and then try to smear a guy for stating a libertarian belief.

This is what is wrong with politics. The guy says racism is wrong, but let the free market punish racists, don't make the government make it illegal to be racist. So the OP presents it in a manner to play the race card instead of merely presenting the guy's beliefs in an honest way and then saying why he supports government intervention instead of this guy's belief...

Old 03-25-2014, 07:40 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
Happens everyday. How often do you see a white, black or hispanic person waiting tables in a Chinese restaurant?
Go to an authentic Mexican restaurant and you will seldom see anything but hispanics waiting tables.
No one seems to have a problem with it.
Me personally? I believe in the right to deny service or hire who you want. Beware the consequences of alienating people. You never know who the next customer might be or when it will be make or break time.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:44 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
turning away drunks and violently angry and rude people without the fear of a lawsuit for racial or sex discrimination should be the right of any business.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:45 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Happens everyday. How often do you see a white, black or hispanic person waiting tables in a Chinese restaurant?
Go to an authentic Mexican restaurant and you will seldom see anything but hispanics waiting tables.
No one seems to have a problem with it.
Me personally? I believe in the right to deny service or hire who you want. Beware the consequences of alienating people. You never know who the next customer might be or when it will be make or break time.
Funny story. Many years ago I saw a white dude; anglo or Hispanic I don't know, working in a Chinese place chattering away in Chinese with the other workers. LOL

OTOH: I saw a girl of Japanese family working in a pizza place, she actually knew some Italian.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Businesses should be allowed to turn anyone away, because it is free association or some other term for it. To me, that is dog whistle language for "I shouldn't have to serve n******, s****, w*******, k****, or f****** if I don't wanna!"
Did you read his actual words or did you let the OP brainwash you?

Why can't someone sincerely think that a private business owner has right to refuse service for any reason under the sun and that people should then choose not to do business with that owner if he is racist or etc...

I don't agree with that thought, but it is perfectly possible to hold that position and not be a racist.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:48 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,204,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Did you read his actual words or did you let the OP brainwash you?

Why can't someone sincerely think that a private business owner has right to refuse service for any reason under the sun and that people should then choose not to do business with that owner if he is racist or etc...

I don't agree with that thought, but it is a perfectly possible to hold that position and not be a racist.
I am pretty refusing service to black people would make you racist.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
I am pretty refusing service to black people would make you racist.
YES, refusing service to black people, because they are black is wrong and racist. The GOP congressman in dispute also agrees with this.

However, you are not following the conversation.

Please follow carefully...

-The Republican congress member said that a business owner should be free to refuse service to anyone for any reason. And if that business owner refuses service due to race, the free market should and would punish him and he will wind up out of business. This is a very libertarian point of view.

-You can have this libertarian view point of the GOP congress member's and not be racist.

-The OP diminishes the above and just says essentially 'OMG GOP guy says restaurants shouldn't have to serve blacks,' implying they are racist.

-The OP is taking the GOP congressman's point out of context to play the race card.

Last edited by michiganmoon; 03-25-2014 at 08:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies