Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 06:50 AM

39,897 posts, read 26,590,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Deaf mute?
Deaf-mute is also considered a derogatory term in the land of butt-hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 10:41 AM

50,429 posts, read 64,199,369 times
According to Merrill Webster Dictionary..

dumb: adjective

1.a : lacking the human power of speech <dumb animals>

b of a person often offensive : lacking the ability to speak

2: temporarily unable to speak (as from shock or astonishment) <struck dumb with fear>

3: not expressed in uttered words <dumb grief>

4: silent; also : taciturn

Old 04-18-2014, 10:49 AM

37,805 posts, read 41,091,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
It's a REALLY old term for "deaf-mute" which is also considered offensive by deaf people. It's hard to keep up with what every single group finds offensive nowadays, but "deaf and dumb" is pretty out there. Most people would know better. "Deaf-mute" I could understand someone slipping on.

I think firing the employee is overreacting though. Sensitivity training is the way to go here. Unfortunately, constant sensitivity training is a fact of life in our easily-offended, overly-litigious culture.
I'm old. I would have used the same term. No knowledge of a different one.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:52 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,505,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Deaf/mute couple wants airline employee fired for writing "Please Text. Deaf and dumb"
Good luck finding who wrote the note. With that stated, note should have just read:

"Text only, do not telephone."

[simple]

Old 04-18-2014, 10:52 AM

32,833 posts, read 19,536,506 times
dumb means cant talk

nothing wrong with what the airline wrote

Old 01-26-2015, 04:18 PM

685 posts, read 722,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
When a vacationing couple, who use sign language, finally received their lost luggage it had a note on it saying "Please text. Deaf and dumb". The couple is outraged calling the note outrageous and cruel and they want an apology. "Deaf and dumb. How much more insulting can you get?" says James' mom.

The airline has replied "“We apologize to [the couple]. It was clearly a very poor choice of words. We’re confident there was no ill will, but we’ll be looking into this further and will be following up with our team members at IAH and the contractor that provides our baggage delivery services.†- but that's not good enough for this couple. "That person needs to be fired," Kay Moehle (mom) said. "The dumb one is the one who write the note."

I'm on the airline's side. What's PC these days for "deaf and dumb"?

Couple seeks apology from American Airlines after insensitive message left on luggage | abc13.com
I started a thread without knowing this existed but the responses are a little different as is my question.

I watch, "Politically Incorrect," and am not know for being politically correct but here's the deal.
When I was born (mid 50s in the 1900s), deaf and dumb were commonly used. People were deaf
and could not verbally communicate. Earlier than that, people who were deaf were locked up in
insane asylums. So, people thought we were dumb.

I am not dumb. Deaf people are like hearing people some are smart and some aren't. I was in a forum where I clearly did not belong made up of mostly deaf/Deaf (capital D for born deaf, lower case for hearing loss at birth and sent to a school for a year for slow people, I heard some). The doctors didn't realize my problem was my lack of full hearing. I was given a hearing aid in 64 or 65 (9 or 10 years old) and my grades zoomed and teachers hugged me (I liked it) and I had problems with teachers and managers being bullies to me. That ain't dumb, folks. It's people not understanding and it's rampant out there.

The sign for many years was touching one's ear then touching one's mouth meaning deaf and mute. Then it became "ear" + closed.

Now, I am deaf but I'm part of the hearing world and will never move out of it. My speech throws people because I spent years working on not sounding deaf.

Scenario: Had to fly from Asheville to VT and it was a two grasshopper flight and timed tightly. My partner made it clear I needed someone at one change point to have someone there to get me to the next flight. My plane from here was late. I ran like a nut and no one was around. I looked at the front desk where I exited and read the airline person's lips. She was broadcasting my name (what does deaf mean...) and I nabbed her. I just thought it was ludicrous.

I'd just leave out the "dumb" part, OP. You'll be fine or you may find hearing people being called hearing and dumb by the Deaf/deaf community. I am just kidding with the last line.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:27 PM

685 posts, read 722,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Deaf-mute is also considered a derogatory term in the land of butt-hurt.
My partner was really angry when someone elsewhere here used it. But I'm the one with the issue . I was taken aback and understood the person who wrote it didn't know. It's an obsolete phrase and it can absolutely be taken negatively and as insulting.

We have to learn to get over being hurt by people not knowing about things they don't know about. That's what life is - learning and changing. If people can't do this, then we have a problem.

I usually tell people, "Call me anything you want because I won't hear you." But a written forum is a bit different.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:32 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,842,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOut001 View Post
My partner was really angry when someone elsewhere here used it. But I'm the one with the issue . I was taken aback and understood the person who wrote it didn't know. It's an obsolete phrase and it can absolutely be taken negatively and as insulting.

We have to learn to get over being hurt by people not knowing about things they don't know about. That's what life is - learning and changing. If people can't do this, then we have a problem.

I usually tell people, "Call me anything you want because I won't hear you." But a written forum is a bit different.
The only thing any of us control is our own reaction.

Make and take no offence.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:42 PM

34,289 posts, read 19,421,574 times
Employee deserves a write up so he or she doesnt forget the correct term. People make mistakes, they learn and carry on.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:47 PM

3,911 posts, read 4,562,269 times
"I'm on the airline's side. What's PC these days for "deaf and dumb"?"

"Deaf and Stupid" After all, I'm sure that's what the employee who wrote the note really meant!

"My brother is deaf. Their community is hyper-sensitive. Not the best choice of words to call someone "dumb" when you mean they can't speak, but I don't think the intention of the employee was to insult so they shouldn't get fired."

Shame on the leaders of this community to advocate being such victims. How 'bout advocating a non sensitive reaction and just calmly educate and correct.

And shame to the couple for wanted to take away someone's livelihood... perhaps take a roof, food and medical care away from their family all because they had their feelings hurt! It was an obvious error from someone who didn't know better. They have no compassion, or common sense.

What a storm in a teacup!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies