Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 03:12 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,239,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Probably they are still registered Republicans. That is not the point.

They have tried to get an explanation and were given the runaround. That's why they contacted the media.

Do you really think that sending out application forms pre-marked for a specific party is all right and should just be ignored? Are you not the least bit curious about who did it and how many pre-marked forms were sent out?
Actually the article said they weren't able to get in touch with anyone at the Secretary of State. Everyone else told them to call the Secretary of State, not much of a runaround. Sounds like they just need to try to contact the Secretary of State to report this, but not to worry, Channel 10 News has an intern stuck on this who will get the Secretary of State on the phone to help report this for them.

No I do not think it is alright or should be ignored, I think it should be reported to the Secretary of State so they can look into this and do an investigation if needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 06:57 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,097,744 times
I didn't catch their age but if they were over 50 years, they may have also had a 'join AARP' application. Maybe even 'you may qualify for an obamaphone' literature.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:00 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,718,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
False, this isn't an embarrassing thing for Democrats. It just isn't newsworthy.
It's both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
I didn't catch their age but if they were over 50 years, they may have also had a 'join AARP' application. Maybe even 'you may qualify for an obamaphone' literature.
I wouldn't be surprised. AARP has joined the dark side of the force.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:02 PM

37,168 posts, read 41,364,782 times
Quote:
Actually the article said they weren't able to get in touch with anyone at the Secretary of State. Everyone else told them to call the Secretary of State, not much of a runaround. Sounds like they just need to try to contact the Secretary of State to report this, but not to worry, Channel 10 News has an intern stuck on this who will get the Secretary of State on the phone to help report this for them.

No I do not think it is alright or should be ignored, I think it should be reported to the Secretary of State so they can look into this and do an investigation if needed.
From the original link:

"10News shared what was sent with Covered California.

Spokeswoman Anne Gonzales stated, "We are mailing voter registration material. However, the application forms come directly from the Secretary of State's office, with no fields pre-marked. The individual should contact the Secretary of State, which takes these violations of election law extremely seriously, and they will investigate, using the unique serial number."

The couple says they did reach out to the Secretary of State’s office and could not get a hold of anyone. They also say they reached out to the San Diego County Registrar of Voters, which told them to contact Covered California."

That's a pretty classic runaround, with voter registration and Covered California each saying talk to the other. It does not say how many times they tried to get to talk to someone at the Secretary of State's Office, which either apparently does not have anyone to answer the phone or does not return voice mails.

In any event, I would have been frustrated, too.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:19 PM

423 posts, read 415,370 times
Quote:
Because they were incapable of getting it corrected? If someone broke the law then they should report a crime, not run to the news for their 15 minutes of fame. If anything it was probably a technology error.
Are you really so daft as to believe that? Seriously?

Old 03-30-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
From the original link:

"10News shared what was sent with Covered California.

Spokeswoman Anne Gonzales stated, "We are mailing voter registration material. However, the application forms come directly from the Secretary of State's office, with no fields pre-marked. The individual should contact the Secretary of State, which takes these violations of election law extremely seriously, and they will investigate, using the unique serial number."

The couple says they did reach out to the Secretary of State’s office and could not get a hold of anyone. They also say they reached out to the San Diego County Registrar of Voters, which told them to contact Covered California."

That's a pretty classic runaround, with voter registration and Covered California each saying talk to the other. It does not say how many times they tried to get to talk to someone at the Secretary of State's Office, which either apparently does not have anyone to answer the phone or does not return voice mails.

In any event, I would have been frustrated, too.
Maybe they should try the Secretary of State until they actually get a hold of something, but now that they reached out to 10News, there will be an intern doing that for them. Problem solved.

If they logged on to the Secretary of State California site, they could have looked up their registration information and seen what their party affiliation was and realized they didn't need to actually register to vote again and thrown that form in the trash. But it is good that they noticed it was premarked and should contact the Secretary of State....which there is a 10News intern working on that right now.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:28 PM

37,168 posts, read 41,364,782 times
Quote:
Maybe they should try the Secretary of State until they actually get a hold of something, but now that they reached out to 10News, there will be an intern doing that for them. Problem solved.

If they logged on to the Secretary of State California site, they could have looked up their registration information and seen what their party affiliation was and realized they didn't need to actually register to vote again and thrown that form in the trash. But it is good that they noticed it was premarked and should contact the Secretary of State....which there is a 10News intern working on that right now.
Actually, with the publicity there is probably someone in the Secretary of State's office already trying to figure out what happened and planning damage control. I suspect the intern will have to find something else to do.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Actually, with the publicity there is probably someone in the Secretary of State's office already trying to figure out what happened and planning damage control. I suspect the intern will have to find something else to do.
No, a local news channel with a story like this is gonna stick to it no matter what. Some poor intern is probably on the phone about this. And I doubt it will turn into any big scandal many of you guys are hoping it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies