Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 05:52 AM

20,186 posts, read 23,907,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxr89 View Post
Recently health insurers were crying that Sovaldi will cut into their profits by up to 10% due to the cost associated with a hepatitis C treatmen/Cure from Gilead, which is an outstanding $84000 for a full regimen of treatment.

Push Comes To Shove: Gilead's $1,000 Pill Could Hurt Insurer Earnings - Forbes

I honestly could give less a crap about the for profit health insurance industry, as they are (in my opinion) part of the problem that is wrong with American health care. However, that is why I am not upset. The reason why I am upset is because that same drug, which costs $84K in the US for a full dose of treatment, only costs $900 for the same amount of treatment in Saudi Arabia.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/gilead...195626568.html

They want to price it based on per capita income. But yet, the cost to develop the drug is still the same. So why do Saudi's get a HUGE discount while my fellow American's are allowed to be price gouge? Can any one freaking defend this!!!!!!!
I laugh at liberals... first they want a system where the better off pay more for the same things or even to get none of the benefits... then they complain when that standard is applied to the world... or more importantly when THEY have to pay...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 06:03 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,181,613 times
Quote:
That is not my point. The issue here is because of the cost, i wouldn't be surprised if insurers decide to drop it our of their formularies because of the costs. If the drug was sold at the same price in Saudi Arabia, you wouldn't even need insurance (well that depends, but lets say a middle class individual has a nest egg saved). You could receive treatment with cash outright and actually afford. My outrage is at the disparity in prices between different countries
Developing a drug can cost billions, for every hit they have X amount of misses and the cost of all those misses is rolled into the one drug they can sell. One of the main issues here is because of price controls in many countries the US consumer is subsidizing the rest of the world. Then you have countries like India that are not honoring patents, of course they can sell it for nothing because they don't have the extraordinary cost of development. They are reaping the benefits without the costs.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:20 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,662,615 times
Medical and drugs in America is a huge cash cow for the elite.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:51 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,764,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrand4 View Post
exactly and they intend to keep it that way
It is kind of a double edged sword. I realize big pharma is gouging the public, but who will fund billions of dollars in research needed to bring these drugs to market. If it weren't for big pharma, we would be living in the middle ages as far as medicine goes.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:57 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,457,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
It is kind of a double edged sword. I realize big pharma is gouging the public, but who will fund billions of dollars in research needed to bring these drugs to market. If it weren't for big pharma, we would be living in the middle ages as far as medicine goes.
Big pharma would still make money if, say, the US government was allowed to use its huge bargaining power to net better prices for pharmaceuticals through even its Medicare pool. (Which our last president explicitly disallowed).

They'd just make less money. But still a LOT of money.

Oh well.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:57 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,662,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post

Well would we? I mean think about how todays society is run. When you go to a doctor , right away you are prescribed a pill. Everything nowadays is pills and long term treatments. We dont even know the long term ill effects on certain things , people are dying at younger ages these days, and heart attacks are getting out of control. People on meds for depression turn into lunatics.

We have so much garbage and chemicals in the foods we eat. There is nothing organic in this country , everything is always a revisited treatment. Why in other countries certain drugs are legal and CURE but here in the states its illegal. Certain practices are banned here in the states but in other countries its not.

Imagine if i could charge you for pills that slowly treat you but dont fully cure you. Thats a revolving door for you to keep coming in to see a doctor and pay for more pills and visits. I do believe we have some things that generally do work but as a whole , medical and health is the biggest legal scam to the american citizens.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:14 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,379,505 times
To our healthcare system AND big pharma, we Americans are nothing but dollar bills with legs. We are nothing but revenue streams.

Yet another reason we need single-payer universal healthcare.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:29 AM

20,135 posts, read 16,227,614 times
There is a reason that most medical innovations and new drugs come from the USA, money. Money for research, money for profits. We have the best medical care in the world in terms of quality of care, the worst in terms of affordability. We also fund innovations that end up being available to the users of cheap medical care that the rest of the world enjoys. Just like we fund their military defense. It is past time that we stop playing Sugar Daddy to the rest of the world, especially all our fellow developed nations that can afford to take care of themselves.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:36 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,179,131 times
Quote:
Recently health insurers were crying that Sovaldi will cut into their profits by up to 10% due to the cost associated with a hepatitis C treatmen/Cure from Gilead, which is an outstanding $84000 for a full regimen of treatment.

Push Comes To Shove: Gilead's $1,000 Pill Could Hurt Insurer Earnings - Forbes

I honestly could give less a crap about the for profit health insurance industry, as they are (in my opinion) part of the problem that is wrong with American health care. However, that is why I am not upset. The reason why I am upset is because that same drug, which costs $84K in the US for a full dose of treatment, only costs $900 for the same amount of treatment in Saudi Arabia.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/gilead...195626568.html

They want to price it based on per capita income. But yet, the cost to develop the drug is still the same. So why do Saudi's get a HUGE discount while my fellow American's are allowed to be price gouge? Can any one freaking defend this!!!!!!!
1. You SHOULD worry about the profits, that's what pays most retirement funds.

2. Lower profits = higher prices to make up for the profits, so, you and I will make up the difference anyway.

3. Insurance company doesn't set the price.

4. Saudi Arabia doesn't get a discount, the discount being offered is to EGYPT, and it's the manufacturer's decision.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:20 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,440,619 times
Other countries are getting a discount too, the cost of the program in Germany is $66,000 USD and in the UK $57,000 USD. (the latter of course being covered by the NHS so patients will most likely pay 8.05 GBP ($13.37USD)
As usual Americans will pay most for this drug either directly or through healthcare premiums.

I found these numbers on Reuters and dailytech.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies