Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2014, 12:05 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
It seems some people do not understand the meaning of the word 'global'.

They also have no understanding of the science behind it.
Colder winters in the northeastern parts of the US will be one of the consequences of 'global warming', but they just don't understand that.
Yup. And the northwest is going to be hotter in the winters.
Wait until July. Everyone will be complaining how hot it is.

Here's the thing folks: since the earth is tilted, everywhere but the equator will always have winter and summer.

But the most intense cold won't always be over the poles. There is plenty of evidence dinosaurs migrated into the arctic circle and grazed where there is now sheet ice. During that time, one of the coldest points on Earth was below the arctic circle. And there is also plenty of evidence this dinosaurs' descendants couldn't migrate north of our border with Canada because there was an ice cap that covered all of Canada that was thousands of feet deep. The most intense cold had shifted back up to the north pole.

There was once a time when Earth was so hot the entire Mediterranean Sea dried up. The moisture from that huge evaporating sea turned Africa from a desert to nothing but lush jungle. And then an earthquake opened up the Staits of Gibralter, and the Mediterranean filled up again in less than a week, and the jungle became a desert again. That jungle got buried by sand, and is now sloshing around in the fuel tanks of our cars.

The fact that Earth is warming up is undeniable. The only aspect that can be argued is how much humans have to do with the warming, and if there is anything humanity can do to slow it.

North America is unique in human history. Only three nations control half of the planets' northern hemisphere, and all 3 are allies. And this is a time when human beings are at their highest population as a species ever.
If the United States, Canada, and Mexico were to have an agreement that has a unified approach to modify the warming as much as we could, would that be enough to counter the rest of the world's population and their part in the warming?
Who knows? There is nothing we can do to change the oceans except to try. There has never been a time when so few people, all with the means and the ability to create moderation have ever controlled 1/4 of the world's land mass.

Nature will take over in any case. Since the entire planet's livability, economy, and human survival is at stake, the longer we quibble the longer events will take their course.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:09 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
Nope, but governments will continue to push for harsher taxes on less efficient vehicles. Rightfully so, I might add.
Yes because that solves everything, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Gallons of fuel saved per mile, trumps the number of lives saved per mile.
I feel pretty guilty buying this car. Previous owner (also the original owner) decided to sell it because he couldn't drive stick anymore so I snapped it up for a good deal with lots of maintenance records and in great mechanical shape. Since these cars are known for suspension and coolant issues, I went ahead and fixed them myself before they needed changing. My friend had the same car with no problems either until it went into a fairly bad accident at 230k with only a scratch and a bruise on him. Both of us also see 28+ mpg consistently during highway commutes, better than EPA estimates.

I don't know, I guess I'm just a sucker for a good deal. The other option was going into a car payment but I felt that my money could be better off saved.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:26 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,080,147 times
Quote:
Yes, we get it. We get that you don't understand climate change at all, despite starting your 845th thread about it.
Yes Chicken little the sky is falling...Tax american families back to the stoneage.I can hardly wait.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:56 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
Yes Chicken little the sky is falling...Tax american families back to the stoneage.I can hardly wait.
But how could there have been a 'stone-age' if you believe the earth is only 6000 years old?

Old 03-12-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
But how could there have been a 'stone-age' if you believe the earth is only 6000 years old?
Where did I post the earth was only 6000 years old. Even if i did believe that yeah sure 6000 years ago they were real modern back then fred flinstone and barney rubble were driving BMW's...

Last edited by gretsky99; 03-12-2014 at 05:01 PM..

Old 03-12-2014, 04:52 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
I don't understand why you keep preaching this to the same people on this forum over and over OP, having the same arguments, the agreers agreeing, the opposition opposing, convincing exactly no one.

If you're this passionate, surely your time could be better spent preaching it to the real world, instead of here ad infinitum. What's the point?

Old 03-12-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
I don't understand why you keep preaching this to the same people on this forum over and over OP, having the same arguments, the agreers agreeing, the opposition opposing, convincing exactly no one.

If you're this passionate, surely your time could be better spent preaching it to the real world, instead of here ad infinitum. What's the point?
Simple fact they're always new members coming on board that need to hear the truth. Hopefully they'll spread the word.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:05 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,285,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Bachlow View Post
It is not about global warming...it is about climate destruction and disruption. Yes the winter was cold...but look out...the up coming summer will be pure suffering....extreme weather is a problem and it has been stimulated into action by the activity of billions of humans .....who excrete their waste into the air.
Not to mention these threads.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:25 PM

Global warming cults are nothing more than the same gloom and doom prophets I've been hearing all my life.

Population bomb--end of the world

Global cooling---end of the world

Ozone depletion---end of the world

Oceans in danger---end of the world

fracking---end of the world

oil spills---end of the world

Acid rain---end of the world

Farm soil being destroyed---end of the world

over fishing---end of world

chemical feed stock---end of the world

drinking water contamination--end of the world

and the list goes on. Though I must confess the global warming moon bats really out did themselves on this one.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:29 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
Guys... it is quite clear that on the topic of Climate Change (and most other political discussions), facts DO NOT MATTER.

Even when 100% of scientists agree on Climate Change, there will still be naysayers. People believe what they want to believe. We just need to make sure the policymakers do what is in the best interest for our planet and the sustainability of our population.
I'd hope everyone agrees that the climate changes. It would be pure stupidity to think that the climate doesn't change. The climate has been changing for about 4.54 billion years here on planet Earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies