Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should all Americans have healthcare?
Yes 104 80.00%
No 26 20.00%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 11:32 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
[/b]
Prove it. You make up a lot of stuff to back up your conservative agenda. Explain to me exactly how you know what these "leeches" who live in your mind feel about this issue. Do you have a crystal ball? Tea leaves? A palantir? Enquiring minds earnestly want to know.
They have no moral compunction against using the government to take my money to fund their own lives.

That's all the proof I need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 11:34 AM

257 posts, read 295,539 times
Quote:
[/b]
Prove it. You make up a lot of stuff to back up your conservative agenda. Explain to me exactly how you know what these "leeches" who live in your mind feel about this issue. Do you have a crystal ball? Tea leaves? A palantir? Enquiring minds earnestly want to know.
I believe opinions/assumptions/speculations are permitted. They are not fact. We do not have to act on them but it is interesting to know what they are. Communication is key - IMHO. It's what our congress can't do - listen to each other, even when we don't agree. But, be open to facts!!!
Sun Tzu's, The Art of War:
"Know the other and know yourself;
One hundred challenges without danger;
Know not the other and yet know yourself;
One triumph for one defeat;
Know not the other and know not yourself;
Every challenge is certain peril."

It's like having a hypothesis, only testing it will prove it true or not.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:38 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,445,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
I'm a conservative who would be in favor of a single payer system if EVERYONE was required to pay into it.

But the leeches won't want that.
I don't think people would have a problem with that if it was done on a sliding scale.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:39 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,263,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveHeart01 View Post
I believe opinions/assumptions/speculations are permitted. They are not fact. We do not have to act on them but it is interesting to know what they are. Communication is key - IMHO. It's what our congress can't do - listen to each other, even when we don't agree. But, be open to facts!!!
Sun Tzu's, The Art of War:
"Know the other and know yourself;
One hundred challenges without danger;
Know not the other and yet know yourself;
One triumph for one defeat;
Know not the other and know not yourself;
Every challenge is certain peril."

It's like having a hypothesis, only testing it will prove it true or not.
It wasn't stated as an opinion. It was stated as a fact.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:39 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,445,071 times
Quote:
They have no moral compunction against using the government to take my money to fund their own lives.

That's all the proof I need.
Their tax dollars already go to your life.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:40 AM

1,276 posts, read 1,775,526 times
I'm a conservative and believe it falls in line with basic human rights to have health care. Unfortunately, Obamacare is not the answer.

I also learned a long time ago, that not everyone can have everything. It's life and has always been that way.

the main issue is how messed up Health care and such are in general. Give people health care in this country and they take advantage. People do not know how, or want to care for themselves. 90% of illness in this country is preventable with lifestyle changes and people won't do it. Why should I pay for them?

I'm 40 years old, been to a doctor twice in my entire life, never taken a prescription medication, never even had a cavity. I take care of myself. But I also realize, someday, I'm sure I will need healthcare.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:42 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Yes, every American should have health insurance from birth to death.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:43 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
Quote:
I'm a conservative who would be in favor of a single payer system if EVERYONE was required to pay into it.

I respect this opinion, but by definition, leeches can't or won't pay. So it seems we must ignore these people to arrive at a solution. We can work on reducing the number of free-loaders at another time.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:47 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,904 times
Quote:
For purposes of heathcare, a leech is any able-bodied American using taxpayer money to pay for their medical care.
Dam now I am a leech. My employer stops offering insurance as part of their package and I get thrown into the exchange. I picked a plan that was suitable for my age and the cost of that plan is 546 bucks a month. That amount is nearly half of what I bring home in a month and living in the country my gas for my vehicles is between 200 to 300 bucks a month. How can a person like myself be able to afford insurance with out the subsidies?

I saw in another thread that you support single payer and like myself are conservative and I agree with you on that. That way everyone that works has some skin in the game and we both know once the federal gvt gets a foot in the door you can not get them out. There is no way in hell to control cost when you have insurance companies and their share holders seeking profit. And we both know that the issue will not be returned to the states where it belongs.

Another poster brought up a good point that reform needs to be from the bottom up and I agree. Take for example, I go to my primary care physician to be treated for high blood pressure. They take my B/P myself and the Doc talk and my insurance company is billed 280 bucks. That is like 3/4ths of my pay check for the week and the Doc gets that for taking my B/P and talking for 15 mins. I can give more examples but you get my drift.

To the OPs question yes everyone should have insurance and unfortunately I support single payer.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:52 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:

Quote:
For purposes of heathcare, a leech is any able-bodied American using taxpayer money to pay for their medical care.
Single payer would be taxpayer money paying for people's healthcare.

Quote:
I also support a single-payer system. I'm one of those people who dislike Obamacare because it's not single-payer. I believe that giving life or death powers to for-profit companies is one of the most insane things this country has ever done.
I agree with this. I support the ACA only because it is the next best thing to not being insured at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies