Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 02:16 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
As our prison population grows older (due largely to mandatory minimum sentences) that cost is skyrocketing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/27/us...inds.html?_r=0

http://www.prisonpolicy.org/scans/cs...ts+1-21-04.pdf
But where's the evidence that the cost of incarceration has ever been a factor considered before imprisoning people for stupid crap as has been alleged?

Old 04-06-2014, 02:19 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
These fools just don't get it. So if the feds are paying for inmates now do our local state and county taxes go down? Hell no. Just more money tossed into the kitty. It is beyond ridiculous. Why the feds pay for state convicts somebody needs to explain to me in the first place. They can't and cheer on more taxes and money to waste.
So you are upset that your taxes haven't gone down because we are still paying for the cost of inmates?

Old 04-06-2014, 02:21 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And that is key.

With expanded medicaid many states moved their state expanded medicaid people to the Fed program.
And with 100% temporary Fed funding others jumped on the expanded medicaid bandwagon.

Why ? To kick the can of debt down the road.

They probably won't be in office when the states have to pony up billions for their share years down the road.
They are acting on the here and now so they can bask in the glory of not letting anyone die for lack of a health insurance card be it Obamacare or medicaid.
They are now trying to kick that can past November. I think they are toast and so do they. Watch as they bring up the immigration issue full force here soon to take away the light off this disaster of obamacare. That is what democrats do. Screw something up beyond belief then steer the sheep to another issue they can "fix" but will only create more chaos and the sheep will baaa right along. It is maddening how stupid people are anymore.........I just shake my head every time I see a news report anymore on anything. That is why I watch ESPN most of the time. Reality TV. LOL

Old 04-06-2014, 02:21 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,504,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
But where's the evidence that the cost of incarceration has ever been a factor considered before imprisoning people for stupid crap as has been alleged?
I took him to mean the cost of incarceration determines the number of prison beds a state will fund. As the cost of incarcerating a single individual decreases for the state, the state will be able to afford to incarcerate more people.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:23 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I guess everybody has missed the entire point of this thread. WE are now paying for everyone inmates included. The state used to pay for it now the fed (taxpayers across the land) do. I guess that is a good thing to some. Not me.

And Van you think taxpayer dollars from the entire country will do better than the state bucks to rehab folks? LOL. You are insane. But hey it aint your money in your eyes so spend away right. You don't realize you are being bilked too. We all are every day of the week by these tyrants. Why you folks defend the government stealing your money I will never understand.
Because 90+% of us aren't closet anarchists who think taxation equals theft

Old 04-06-2014, 02:24 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Its the very reason they outsourced the medical insurance..

State Strategies for Controlling Inmate Health Care Costs

https://www.fdle.state.fl.us/Content...paper-pdf.aspx

btw, that 2nd link for Florida, is one of the states we used to manage inmate insurance for. They contacted us for the sole reason of cutting costs.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:26 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Because 90+% of us aren't closet anarchists who think taxation equals theft
You don't understand. States shifted their burden to the Fed.
What was once the responsibility of the state and it's residents now become the nation's responsibility.

So if a state expanded using their own money they now get to shift that cost burden to the nation.
And now the state has reduced liabilities.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I took him to mean the cost of incarceration determines the number of prison beds a state will fund. As the cost of incarcerating a single individual decreases for the state, the state will be able to afford to incarcerate more people.
Exactly.. if the budget is for $x on prison population, and the federal government takes over the expense of $y, this means the state can now incarcerate more prisoners without concerns for the cost.

We get more people in prison, and have to spend more as a result because you know dam well the local taxes arent going to drop as the cost moves to the federal government.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:27 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
I'm questioning the statement "the state and county used to consider healthcare costs in their prison costs and thus reduce the number of individuals in prison for stupid crap" that bundles healthcare in with other costs. Where's the evidence that cost keeps people from being jailed for stupid crap?

Old 04-06-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I'm questioning the statement "the state and county used to consider healthcare costs in their prison costs and thus reduce the number of individuals in prison for stupid crap" that bundles healthcare in with other costs. Where's the evidence that cost keeps people from being jailed for stupid crap?
oh I've seen people released from prison simply because the county didnt want to spend the money on medical costs.. One being for a sex change operation ordered by the court if they were held..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies