Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2014, 01:23 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,042,189 times

Advertisements

I can't believe that this is what our country is coming to. It's really frightening! Am I the only one who is speaking out against this? Have we REALLY reached this point where we have become so intolerant? Let's remove all the agendas and just look at this clearly for just a minute, that's all I'm asking. People in our society are now being "socially executed",to put it in blunt terms, simply for having their 1st Amendment Right to a different opinion. Those who are saying "No one is being arrested, no one's rights are being violated" are only half right and not seeing the forest for the trees. While technically, yes no one is being rounded up by the Government for having an opinion or supporting something, we as a society have certainly become just as intolerant. We have now become a society of intolerance, of hate, hate for those who have different views than we do!

This is not who America was made for and we should be ashamed! America was made for the self-propelled individual seeking his God given Freedoms and the opportunities to create his own prosperity, all the while respecting his fellow man's Right to do so. I believe such Americans still exist, but we are few now, has the Tyranny of Political Correctness really become so powerful? When is disagreeing with someone hate? Why can we no longer handle differences of opinions? We must ask ourselves these fundamental questions! I am a Christian, I work with many atheists. Should I be able to boot my atheist employees out the door because I disagree with them (something I would never do in the first place because I am actually Tolerant unlike some people who only pretend to be)? Should they do the same to me? Just because we don't share the same world views does that mean we shouldn't be allowed to live and work together? Does that make us enemies? Does that mean we should hate one another? Is this what we really want? Truly? Because this is the road we are headed down.

This should concern us all. We are creating a society where diversity and tolerance no longer exists. A Fascist lifestyle group and the Far Leftwing Cultural Marxists are burning the very pillars of our society to the ground. We need to have this discussion, we cannot live in a Free Nation and yet be intolerant to the freedoms of others. Yes, that includes the freedoms of those you disagree with.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:23 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyGuardian View Post
1. Of course not. Then people would feel Mozilla sands behind anti-gay rights sentiment even more and it would create an even bigger **** storm. The folks who were pro prop 8 would dig it, but I don't think they use anything but IE or Safari so I doubt it would result in a boon in business. It would have been a calculated risk to make that bold stand. Some companies do it. Others just want it to go away so they give the guy the boot or force them out. Depends on the issue and the company. Maybe if the controversial donation was made to a cause Mozilla's company culture supported things would have ended differently.

2. Pretty obviously someone donating to a controversial cause and then in charge of a totally separate entity makes people believe the entity shares the private citizen's opinions and intent. Phil Robertson dislikes gay activity, so he dislikes gay people, so Duck Dynasty is anti-gay, so A&E is anti-gay, so Disney hates gay people. Is that right? Was Mozilla anti-gay rights when they had an anti-gay rights CEO? Of course not. But people draw inferences on relationships, right or wrongly. It isn't illegal or unconstitutional. Happens ALL the time in politics. See: Obama and Jeremiah Wright, Obama and William Ayers, Obama and Jay-Z, Obama and Common, Ted Cruz and Ted Nugent, Rand Paul and Aqua Buddha, etc etc.

Well, legally yes - Oklahoma is a right to work state. Constitutionally yes - they didn't prevent you from doing or saying anything. Ethically - The company has an ethical right to protect their profits. If your presence is affecting that then they have a responsibility to do something. Does the public have an ethical right to get pissed at a company for something an employee said before? That's the question. They have the legal and constitutional right to express their displeasure aka "intimidate", but should they be mad at the company in the first place? Probably not.
1. So the point of the boycott and public pressure was to make Eich unemployable. To punish a private citizen for a private political donation?

2. This is a reach. I've never thought that A & E was anti-gay. I don't know anyone who did. I don't know anyone who has thought that Mozilla was remotely anti-gay. The point of the boycott wasn't because people thought Mozilla was anti-gay. It was to punish Eich for his personal and private beliefs.

3.So you support a workplace firing someone for making a personal donation to a political candidate. By extension, then, should potential employees provide a full and complete history of their political and charitable activities? Since companies have an ethical right to protect their profits. And such profits could be harmed by exposure to people who participate in the political process.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:25 PM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
If you're working in the mailroom, nobody is going to care what you do or support in your free time.
But what if that mailroom employee aspires to be CEO? NO ONE is safe from intimidation of past "trangressions" according to currently acceptable standards.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:

If you're working in the mailroom, nobody is going to care what you do or support in your free time.

Who can say that?

What if your employer is super pro-life, and he finds out you donated to Planned Parenthood? He can fire you, and per you, he's well within his rights to do so.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:26 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
I can't believe that this is what our country is coming to. It's really frightening! Am I the only one who is speaking out against this? Have we REALLY reached this point where we have become so intolerant? Let's remove all the agendas and just look at this clearly for just a minute, that's all I'm asking. People in our society are now being "socially executed",to put it in blunt terms, simply for having their 1st Amendment Right to a different opinion. Those who are saying "No one is being arrested, no one's rights are being violated" are only half right and not seeing the forest for the trees. While technically, yes no one is being rounded up by the Government for having an opinion or supporting something, we as a society have certainly become just as intolerant. We have now become a society of intolerance, of hate, hate for those who have different views than we do!

This is not who America was made for and we should be ashamed! America was made for the self-propelled individual seeking his God given Freedoms and the opportunities to his own prosperity, all the while respecting his fellow man's Right to do so as well. I believe such Americans still exist, but we are few now, has the Tyranny of Political Correctness really become so powerful? When is disagreeing with someone hate? Why can we no longer handle differences of opinions? We must ask ourselves that fundamental question!

I am a Christian, I work with many atheists. Should I be able to boot my atheist employees out the door because I disagree with them (something I would never do in the first place because I am actually Tolerant unlike some people who only pretend to be)? Should they do the same to me? Just because we don't share the same world views does that mean we shouldn't be allowed to live and work together? Does that make us enemies? Does that mean we should hate one another? Is this what we really want? Truly? Because this is the road we are headed down.

This should concern us all. We are creating a society where diversity and tolerance don't exist. A fascist lifestyle group and the Far Leftwing Cultural Marxists are burning the very pillars of our society to the ground. We need to have this discussion, we cannot live in a Free Nation and yet be intolerant to the freedoms of others. Yes, that includes the freedoms of those you disagree with.

That's it. The world has officially flipped upside down.

the misplaced persecution complex in your post is very, very strong and very, very lame.

As social conservatives get older, I'm afraid your false analogies and histrionics are only going to get worse and worse.

And btw: If your atheist employees started to take action against Christians, in the form of campaigning to make Christianity illegal, or preventing Christians from getting married, you're telling me you're going to sit and sing Kumbaya? For Petessake you see persecution when there IS NONE, and can't even recognize REAL persecution (Prop 8)!

Last edited by Ibginnie; 04-09-2014 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: language

Old 04-09-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Who can say that?

What if your employer is super pro-life, and he finds out you donated to Planned Parenthood? He can fire you, and per you, he's well within his rights to do so.

No, he cant, because in the context of employers and employees, that would probably be illegal.

When it comes to CONSUMERS exercising a BOYCOTT, there are no such protections.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
All speech already has consequences. Why on earth would you think it does not? The consequences, however, can vary based on your position and station in life.

For companies: It depends on what your role is in a company, and whether or not you're going to take a position of being the figure head or public face of a company. CEOs are vetted in advance just for that reason. Maybe nobody thought his support for Prop 8 would ever be discovered or be a big deal to some people. Those people who figured it wouldn't be a big deal probably have the same privileged perspective that you do.

Income level matters not.

And, it bears repeating one more time:

Eich did not just "express an opinion." He gave money to others who sought to attack the lives, livelihoods, families and personal rights and freedoms of a minority.

You want to talk about INTIMIDATION and do a balancing test? What Eich did or supported is 10x worse than people boycotting his company for what he did.
And just like the CEO of OK Cupid, who's donation to an anti-gay candidate is excused because the candidate had other positions that were supportable, Mr Eich may not have supported the strategies of the Proposition 8 proponents, but simply the idea of protecting traditional marriage. I suspect that many of the people who voted for Proposition 8 have no ill-will towards gay people, but simply favored the concept of traditional marriage, and didn't understand the harm their position did to gay people.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
All speech already has consequences. Why on earth would you think it does not? The consequences, however, can vary based on your position and station in life.

For companies: It depends on what your role is in a company, and whether or not you're going to take a position of being the figure head or public face of a company. CEOs are vetted in advance just for that reason. Maybe nobody thought his support for Prop 8 would ever be discovered or be a big deal to some people. Those people who figured it wouldn't be a big deal probably have the same privileged perspective that you do.

Income level matters not.

And, it bears repeating one more time:

Eich did not just "express an opinion." He gave money to others who sought to attack the lives, livelihoods, families and personal rights and freedoms of a minority.

You want to talk about INTIMIDATION and do a balancing test? What Eich did or supported is 10x worse than people boycotting his company for what he did.
Also, if income level matters not, then who's your next target on the list of 35,000 donors who also "gave money to others who sought to attack the lives, livelihoods, families and personal rights and freedoms of a minority."

Old 04-09-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
But what if that mailroom employee aspires to be CEO? NO ONE is safe from intimidation of past "trangressions" according to currently acceptable standards.

If it's a past transgression for which he is unrepentant or can't see how he hurt the very consumers he portends to serve through his company.... then it's not really a PAST transgression, is it?

At what point are consumers stripped of the freedom to choose where and how they want to spend their money, and what services or places they want to use?

The conservative Christian Million Moms and any number of Christian "family" organizations do this every day, all day. A new target every week. TV, cracker companies, movie studios.... and not a peep out of the concern troll conservatives on this board decrying fascism!!!! Maybe because Million Moms are neutered and completely ineffective? But still, why the double standard? (That's a rhetorical question, of course).

Old 04-09-2014, 01:32 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,042,189 times
Quote:
That's it. The world has officially flipped upside down.

Jesus H. Christ, the misplaced persecution complex in your post is very, very strong and very, very lame.

As social conservatives get older, I'm afraid your false analogies and histrionics are only going to get worse and worse.

And btw: If your atheist employees started to take action against Christians, in the form of campaigning to make Christianity illegal, or preventing Christians from getting married, you're telling me you're going to sit and sing Kumbaya? For Petessake you see persecution when there IS NONE, and can't even recognize REAL persecution (Prop 8)!
See...this is what I'm talking about. So much hate and intolerance just for someone having their own opinion. And the sad thing is, I don't even think you are self aware of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies