Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 09:49 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times

Advertisements

The kid culture wants a Ferrari, while working at Wendy's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 07:13 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Like the one being tossed about in Seattle, where it would go from the State's (9.30 an hour) to 15 per hour.

Even 15 an hour would still not be that good anywhere 10 miles or less from Downtown Seattle, but every little bit helps.

My fear is not the BS argument that jobs would be lost. It's greedy landlords taking advantage of higher pay from workers and making any raise, or increased salaries (like what's happening in Western ND where the wages have been raised, but not by state law) a wash.

In a totally free enterprise system, there doesn't seem to be any way to stop landlords from raising rents. Unless you have rent control. It's just pure greed. I'm sure a landlord lived comfortably, on whatever income they may have got, from when most of his tenants wages were X amount of dollars. Now that their income has increased (hypothetically) by 25-35%, the landlord wants that money so he can buy a new boat or something.

Minimum wage laws only work, when property owners are willing to cooperate. If they're not and there's no legal way to stop them, the thing they're trying to do in Seattle, if it passed, will make Seattle into another San Francisco. Even their min wage of $12 per hour, isn't **** there. Should be more like 20 there.

The underlying problem and cause is the prevalence of supply controls for housing. While the absence of supply controls is not much help in the short run under conditions of rapid population growth (ND), it is a meritorious solution in the long run.

The problem with most conservatives is that that they support supply controls while detesting rent controls and being totally oblivious to the contradiction and hypocrisy in their position.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The kid culture wants a Ferrari, while working at Wendy's.

I want the opportunity in a free market to buy a tiny home on a tiny piece of land from a willing seller, while working at Wendy's.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
So when property values to and down, and this rent goes down, are you going to mandate renters pay more than market value to protect the property owners?

Only if homeowners are mandated to pay more when property values go up, to protect the renters.

There are numerous protections enacted for hoomeowners (e.g. Prop 13) but I can't think of any enacted for renters. What's up with that?

Old 05-08-2014, 07:29 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Like the one being tossed about in Seattle, where it would go from the State's (9.30 an hour) to 15 per hour.

Even 15 an hour would still not be that good anywhere 10 miles or less from Downtown Seattle, but every little bit helps.

My fear is not the BS argument that jobs would be lost. It's greedy landlords taking advantage of higher pay from workers and making any raise, or increased salaries (like what's happening in Western ND where the wages have been raised, but not by state law) a wash.

In a totally free enterprise system, there doesn't seem to be any way to stop landlords from raising rents. Unless you have rent control. It's just pure greed. I'm sure a landlord lived comfortably, on whatever income they may have got, from when most of his tenants wages were X amount of dollars. Now that their income has increased (hypothetically) by 25-35%, the landlord wants that money so he can buy a new boat or something.

Minimum wage laws only work, when property owners are willing to cooperate. If they're not and there's no legal way to stop them, the thing they're trying to do in Seattle, if it passed, will make Seattle into another San Francisco. Even their min wage of $12 per hour, isn't **** there. Should be more like 20 there.
Minimum wage person's immediate supervisor currently makes $15 per hour. What do you say to that person?

Old 05-08-2014, 07:34 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rso092 View Post
There's nothing to rebuke; your "argument" wasn't an argument.

So, is it safe to assume that you are a fast food worker? That would explain your animosity toward the management...
I'm sure many of us worked in fast food places when we were teenagers. Your goal should be to work harder than anyone else, learn everything about your restaurant, have the best attitude, and let your manager know you are interested in becoming a supervisor. Then you won't be concerned so much about minimum wage or how lazy you think another supervisor is, you'll gain valuable skills that you can use to either work your way up that company, move on to another industry or maybe own your own restaurant someday.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Minimum wage person's immediate supervisor currently makes $15 per hour. What do you say to that person?

??? Shrug.

I once earned a few cents more than minimum wage. When the minimum wage went up, I was paid the new minimum wage. Got a problem with that?

Old 05-08-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
A. You apparently don't know anyone who manages a fast food restaurant.
B. You apparently never go into fast food restaurants.

While it's been quite a few years since I did the middle management thing, your statement is full of misinformation and, quite frankly, downright lies. Fast food managers work harder than any of their employees, are expected to be available at all hours of the day or night in order to deal with problems, and aren't paid nearly enough for the work that they do. A fast food manager has to be able to do any task that is needed in the restaurant, from flipping burgers to running the register to cleaning the bathrooms. On top of this, they are required to make the weekly schedule for the employees (which should be worth $20k a year just for dealing with the whiny ones that "can only work on Tuesday and Thursday" but don't understand why they aren't making decent money). They also have to account for inventory, cash on hand, bank deposits, maintenance, deliveries, and just about everything else in the restaurant. And they are expected to do this for an average salary of $30k to $40k a year.

In my experience, this varies among stores and employers, largely on the basis of whether and how many assistant managers are there. Where there are assistant managers, these assistants typically do the most and the hardest work, while also being poorly paid relative to the managers.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I'm sure many of us worked in fast food places when we were teenagers. Your goal should be to work harder than anyone else, learn everything about your restaurant, have the best attitude, and let your manager know you are interested in becoming a supervisor. Then you won't be concerned so much about minimum wage or how lazy you think another supervisor is, you'll gain valuable skills that you can use to either work your way up that company, move on to another industry or maybe own your own restaurant someday.

Your post pretty much assumes the worker wants to advance into management. My first fast-food job, in a very high-volume store on 8 Mile (across the street from a dense concentration of FIRE-sector office workers who slammed us every weekday at lunchtime), turned me off to any interest in fast food management. Whatever does a burger flipper do then?

Last edited by freemkt; 05-08-2014 at 08:09 AM..

Old 05-08-2014, 07:58 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Rent never goes down.
Rent has gone way up because the government gives housing vouchers to keep up with it. If the government will pay $1000 a month for a government dependent to have an apartment, ALL apartment rents will go up to $1000 a month and over.

It's the government itself that sets the rent rates.

I live in a military town -- every time the government gives an increase in the housing allowance, all rents increase.

The other factor, the population in the USA is growing very rapidly. That makes it very easy to find renters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies