Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 05:15 PM
jw2 jw2 started this thread

2,028 posts, read 3,266,415 times

Advertisements

Now that the House Oversight Committee has voted to hold Lois Lerner in contempt of Congress, while the House Ways and Means Committee has referred her case to the Justice Department for criminal prosecution, what does Holder do? Well, my guess is absolutely nothing since Holder doesn't care about being held in contempt of Congress himself.

Since there is no democrat support and no media interest, are they free to get away with whatever they want? Are the democrats no longer accountable no matter what they do? Is this the system we wanted? I went independent years ago and things like this reinforce why. How can anyone endorse this behavior?

Contempt and the IRS | National Review Online

I watched the proceedings. Since the democrat's arguments were all debunked they all took the tactic of claiming Lerner has 5th Amendment Privileges. I suppose that may be decided soon. The next big question, does the House Oversight Committee give Lerner immunity? Or will Obama/Holder just not prosecute instructing all the news sources to say "what difference does it make", "not one smidgen of corruption", "they targeted democrat groups too" etc.

Using a Federal Agency to influence an election is a very serious offense. In the manner of which this was done, it was much much more serious than Watergate. Where is the outrage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 05:24 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,856 times
The Republicans are soft. They have an election year. But I see what you're saying. The state of our government is unfortunate.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:51 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Note that Eric Holder was held in contempt over 'Fast and Furious' even prior to the Nov. 2012 election, and it never went anywhere. AFAIK it is still wending its way through the courts.

Democrats have the ability to portray all this as a partisan fight/witchhunt; the media will go along, and the low info voter will too, if they even ever hear about it.

Look at the NOM case where we know that tax data was illegally leaked by the IRS to a lefty activist. We know that it happened, we know that it was illegal, we know who the lefty activist recipient of the leak was, and Congress knows who at the IRS was involved. But there is hardly any coverage of it in the MSM, and of course Holder is not going to address it.

I think Republicans need to focus on making their case in campaign ads this fall when it comes to this stuff. The NOM case in particular would make a good ad, especially since it involved a privacy right that was originally established by the NAACP in a Supreme Court case. I think voters have little appetite for what they see as partisan fights being waged via court actions. I think they will be willing to listen to the message in the context of a campaign, however. After all, campaigns are by definition partisan, and voters expect them to be so.

Some of the stuff that Lerner did could make for some good campaign ads too. Thanks OP for a good link, btw.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:03 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
Now that the House Oversight Committee has voted to hold Lois Lerner in contempt of Congress, while the House Ways and Means Committee has referred her case to the Justice Department for criminal prosecution, what does Holder do? Well, my guess is absolutely nothing since Holder doesn't care about being held in contempt of Congress himself.

Since there is no democrat support and no media interest, are they free to get away with whatever they want? Are the democrats no longer accountable no matter what they do? Is this the system we wanted? I went independent years ago and things like this reinforce why. How can anyone endorse this behavior?

Contempt and the IRS | National Review Online

I watched the proceedings. Since the democrat's arguments were all debunked they all took the tactic of claiming Lerner has 5th Amendment Privileges. I suppose that may be decided soon. The next big question, does the House Oversight Committee give Lerner immunity? Or will Obama/Holder just not prosecute instructing all the news sources to say "what difference does it make", "not one smidgen of corruption", "they targeted democrat groups too" etc.

Using a Federal Agency to influence an election is a very serious offense. In the manner of which this was done, it was much much more serious than Watergate. Where is the outrage?
LMFAO... "Where is the OUTRAGE?!?!?!?"

Maybe it's missing because 98% of Americans agree with Holder and Lerner- whatever else is going on, the US Congress DESERVES our contempt (ESPECIALLY that a-hole Issa...)

Old 04-12-2014, 07:10 PM

1,136 posts, read 942,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
Well, that plus the fact that the supposed "highest law enforcement agent in America" told state Attorneys General that they were free to ignore laws that they didn't agree with. So he's really just following his own stated principles.

On the practical side of things, I don't think they need to wait for him to do anything, though. I don't actually know how it works, but I don't think it's him who orders her arrested. I think they can just have her arrested by the police. That being said, they really took their sweet time holding her in contempt, so I doubt they'll move swiftly. Realistically, this was just "to send a message" to her.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:10 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
That incredibly incompetent Holder won't do anything. He and Lois are buds. It's sickening.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:13 PM

1,136 posts, read 942,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
That incredibly incompetent Holder won't do anything. He and Lois are buds. It's sickening.
He's not incompetent, he's just lawless. "Incompetent" means that he's trying to do his job but sucks at it. He's not actually trying to do his job. He selectively ignores the law whenever he feels like it.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:36 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
I think it's beyond ridiculous to expect an Attorney General to pursue any charges against Lois Lerner, when that same AG is still fighting his own Contempt of Congress charges in Court. He will do what he always does ... PUNT and Stonewall.

It's a sad state of affairs that the Congress has to deal with such a corrupt AG, but it is what it is. Holder will hold to his line - we are "investigating, and can't comment". There will be civil cases brought, Holder will stall as long as possible, but the Courts are very tired of his tactics. He is still not out of the water on his own Contempt charges.

Lerner pled the 5th to avoid talking to Congress, but had no problemo with going to Holder to talk about her case. This tells us that Holder is complicit in hiding and stonewalling any investigation into Lerner.

Best Bet for the GOP is to campaign on getting rid of Harry Reid AND stopping the Lawless Holder.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:19 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,856 times
After Holder investigated himself and found himself innocent, he will just do the same for Lerner. There will never be any justice when the attorney general himself is a criminal.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:26 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
LMFAO... "Where is the OUTRAGE?!?!?!?"

Maybe it's missing because 98% of Americans agree with Holder and Lerner- whatever else is going on, the US Congress DESERVES our contempt (ESPECIALLY that a-hole Issa...)

Fortunately 98% of Americans do not agree with illegal leaking of IRS data, or illegal transfer of data from gov't to personal email etc. With 25% hard core democrats, and 25% low info voters, it is possible that you might get to 50% agreement, but no way do you get to 98% agreement. We are not yet that far gone.

IRS Approval Rating Going, Going, Gone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies