Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 05:05 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times

Advertisements

University of Michigan is a top school. I imagine a 3.6 GPA is "average" for them. And having a good ACT score isn't enough either. Usually they require a good amount of community service hours and a couple of extracurricular activies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 05:56 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
University of Michigan is a top school. I imagine a 3.6 GPA is "average" for them. And having a good ACT score isn't enough either. Usually they require a good amount of community service hours and a couple of extracurricular activies.

I would say that Michigan's admission requirements would be a MINIMUM of GPA 3.80 and ACTs of 28- that would be for their marginal students.

Heck, my youngest (my "worst" student of my kids) had a 3.60 GPA and a 28 on his ACTs. Given the high school he went to, he was in the bottom one half of his class. Therefore it was questionable as to whether he would get into one of our state schools, as you usually have to be in the top half of the high school, regardless of how difficult that school may be. He did get into one of the state schools where we live, but it is not on par with Michigan.

One of my youngest son's friends (white) did not get into Michigan with a 4.0 at a prep school and 30 on his ACT. He ended up going to Purdue and is studying engineering there.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:07 PM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Welcome to the real world, honey. Just because she's from the poor side of town, with only one parent, and not much money coming in, does not mean she should get into an elite university with inadequate grades and test scores. There are plenty of white people in exactly the same boat (one parent, poor) who would never think of demanding entry just because of it. If this was her dream, then maybe a test prep course or a prep book would have been a good idea. Even so, she could still achieve her dream by going to a different school and transferring. Or she may even find that she enjoys the other school and finds happiness there.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:12 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,362,551 times
Bet the school's football team is twice as dumb as her though.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:24 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
She has never been on a plantation. That really hurts her argument but she is 17. One would think someone older and wiser might take her aside and explain that to her.

I don't know who this Gratz person is either but they have nothing to gain by challenging a 17 year old to a debate either. Its a no win proposition for them.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:21 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
I was just thinking that too.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:33 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
I thought all blacks regardless of academic achievement can get into any college that want because they're black.

Right conservatives?

Old 04-21-2014, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post

Unfortunately, that is the problem with the Big Ten (as opposed to the SEC). The Big Ten atheletes have to meet admission requirements that are comparable to the student population. Therefore, the Big Ten has difficulty obtaining atheletes, as many are not up to the academics of the Big Ten schools. The SEC has an advantage in sports, but on the average have poorer academic reputations.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I thought all blacks regardless of academic achievement can get into any college that want because they're black.

Right conservatives?

That is true.............. to a point. One must have grades and ACT or SAT scores somewhere in the same county as the rest of the institution. She should talk to these white kids who have credentials far better than hers who were not accepted. It might be a wake up call. However, in a society which rewards marginal performance and has accepted lower standards for minorities as "reality", I doubt it. She will always be convinced that her denial was simply due to "racism". Perhaps she is taking notes on Obama's excuses for ineptitude. In that regard, she is a "good student".

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/...-michigan.html

Of course, MOST black students admitted to college have worse grades and admission scores than thier white counterparts (except Utah), due to racial preferences. However, if they are as bad as the student noted, it is quite a reach.

http://lesacreduprintemps19.files.wo...e-and-race.pdf

Old 04-21-2014, 06:19 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Her numbers aren't academically competitive. She should blow freshman year out of the water and transfer in if she thinks she's good enough.
Yup. People forget about transfer opportunities. If you really want to go to a certain school and can't get in, go to a CC and blow it out of the water for a year or two and then transfer. Show them what you can do. It's not done just because you didn't get in as a freshman.

I could have gone to U of M as a transfer student in spite of my low GPA in high school because I rocked it out in CC. I chose the other school because U of M only offered me a 50% scholarship and the other school gave me a free ride.

There are lots of ways to get into the school of your choice as long as they take transfer students. Another is to enter as a non matriculating student and then use your grades from those classes to reapply....or enter with a major that they need students in and then change majors later. Whining about it isn't likely to work. They like students who get smart about it.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 04-21-2014 at 06:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies