Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 05:52 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Interesting that some articles, particularly local, discussing this investment buy up fail to mention the Blackstone derivatives, though they do mention Blackstone briefly. Have seen articles mentioning other states, as well, like Ohio and Washington iirc.

Meet Wall Street. Your New Landlord.

Mortgage Payments Rise To 40% Of Consumer Incomes: A Five ...

"The Rent Is Too Damned High"
quote:
“Cost-burdened” means you’re paying more than 30 percent of income for housing and “severely cost-burdened” means you’re paying more than half. “By 2011, 28 percent of renters paid more than half their incomes for housing, bringing the number with severe cost burdens up by 2.5 million in just four years, to 11.3 million,” according to the Harvard study, which was conducted with partial funding from the MacArthur Foundation.

Look at the map of states in this article and notice from my other article post via OS, the states.
quote:
Blackstone's bonds were backed by rents from more than 3,200 houses located primarily in Florida, California, Arizona and Georgia, the company said this week. The group owns about 40,000 homes across the United States, including 1,255 in the four-county Orlando market, according to a new report by the RealtyTrac research company.
Blackstone and other big $ investors own a small percentage of single family homes owned by all investors. The OP's link is focused on apartments in the desirable cores of certain cities. The big money tends to avoid buying condos with the intent to rent them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 05:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Blackstone and other big $ investors own a small percentage of single family homes owned by all investors. The OP's link is focused on apartments in the desirable cores of certain cities. The big money tends to avoid buying condos with the intent to rent them out.
Speculators buy the condo's and SFH's and rent them out.
That's going on in Austin right now.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
If I didn't hate winter I would probably move there. I would like to do more to help that city.
My gut screams that there is serious long term money to be made in Detroit real estate. I am not comfortable owning investment property 300 miles from home.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Speculators buy the condo's and SFH's and rent them out.
That's going on in Austin right now.
There are hundreds of thousands of individual and small company investors in real estate in any point in time.

Blackstone and other Wall street investment firms represent a small percentage of investment activity at any point in time. The big $ tend to avoid condos, unless they can acquire a majority interest in an association. Even then, they tend to remain a tad gun shy.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:49 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Seems to me that the middle class used to be owners--not renters.
I'm regularly accused of "class warfare" when I point out that the middle class is being destroyed in this country. Yet here is more evidence.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:57 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
From the link:

"Even dual-income professional couples are being priced out of the walkable urban-core neighborhoods where many of them want to live".

A part of growing up is realizing that just because you want something, does not mean you are entitled to it.
...or that you will ever get it. But having goals is what keeps most people advancing and achieving.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:06 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,494,989 times
Glad I live in the rust belt! It may not be mainstream trendy, and more difficult to find employment, but it's certainly affordable to live in a cool urban neighborhood.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:49 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,514,238 times
Quote:
^ Makes no sense. Was this tongue in cheek?

Everything sells for as much as the market will bear in a free market system. Given the low vacancy rate in some areas, in some cities, means enough people are willing and able to pay the asking price. The rest are priced out and have to live elsewhere and within their means.

The alternative would be for municipalities to impose rent controls, the opposite of a free market system.
It was tongue in cheek.

Some people on here seem to think that everyone should able to afford to live wherever they want. And if they can't afford it is a sign of a bad economy.

Hell, I wish I could afford a house in Malibu but I aint willing to work for it so I guess I'll blame the people in Malibu. lol

Old 04-17-2014, 08:08 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
A lot of them lost their homes during the recession, for which they are (according to you cons) solely themselves to blame -- i.e. there's absolutely no such thing as "predatory lending."
Oh spare me. If people can't read the paper that they're signing, and if they don't take the time to fully understand what they are signing, that IS their fault. I do not feel sorry for a single one of them.

http://www.examiner.com/article/your...t-800-000-home

Yes, I'm sure she had NO IDEA that she couldn't afford that home. /sarc

Old 04-17-2014, 08:18 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Actually the ownership got to record level I the low 70% but historically its 65%. Geithner said the administration wanted to get back to historic level not based on easy credit bad loans as one of first acts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies