Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 05:46 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times

Advertisements

Any one know the growth rate of our global oil usage? as currently its running close to 100 million barrels a day globally, that a lot of oil that supposedly is coming from decaying dinosaurs and vegetation..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 06:21 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
Peak oil is based on knowing where every drop of oil is located... I find it ignorant that anyone claims to have such knowledge and arrogance for making such claims... basically, liberals...

Old 04-20-2014, 06:43 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I don't know how old you are, but I can remember batteries 50 years ago. They seldom lasted much beyond getting them home. Car batteries weren't much better. Today they have improved substantially. All kinds of different energy is being explored and being brought online each and every day. Our consumption has fallen dramatically over the years. Fuel efficiency continues to increase. My first car got 12 miles to a gallon (as long as I kept my foot out of it). Today the average car gets 3 times that. You are right. One day in the future, we will reach peak oil, but it isn't going to be in 10 years, or even 20. We will have oil supplies available to us quite possibly into the next century. In the meantime we have to be able to survive and continue to advance. One day, we won't have the need for all of the oil we do today, but we aren't there yet and we have to have oil to get us there.

Darn right. I well recall when one had to frequently check the water level of the car battery. Now, said batteries are sealed and last seemingly forever. Same thing about radiators, which had to be constantly checked.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:43 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Peak oil is based on knowing where every drop of oil is located... I find it ignorant that anyone claims to have such knowledge and arrogance for making such claims... basically, liberals...
I'd be interested to read data supporting your claim that liberals are claiming to have knowledge of where every drop of oil is located..

Old 04-20-2014, 06:53 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
The peak oil debate is fairly pointless, since human ingenuity and the normal functioning of markets assures that we will always use the most economically effective choice at all times, and when a new technology or fuel or energy source becomes economically compelling it will be unstoppable.

This is why attempting to support non-economic choices is fruitless and unnecessary, and political attempts to move ahead of the economics is foolish and expensive.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:50 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
all fossil fuels will peak someday its just a mater of time, they are finite..
And you base that on ... what? A guess? Is this your area of expertise?

Some real experts in the industry (people who know what they are talking about) have recently begun to question whether it is "finite" or if the earth is constantly producing fossil fuels. Certainly, the idea that oil comes from decomposed dinosaurs is ridiculous on it's face.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:58 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,029,253 times
A customer of mine worked as a geologist for Shell for 36 years. He claims we are past peak oil. I have to agree with him, but what does he know.

Why is the price so high for oil now?

Old 04-20-2014, 08:46 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,412,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
And all you know is talking points.. I've seen drilling in this country first hand... Have you? I am in the Permian Basin at this moment.
Are you enjoying the Texas drought?

It doesn't take much thinking to figure out that new technology may make the extraction of oil that was not possible with older technology. But that oil will most likely be more expensive and some of those technologies may have undesirable side effects. But none of that changes the fact that the amount of oil must be finite.

Call that a "talking point" all you want. The size of the planet is finite and most of it is not oil.

psik

Old 04-20-2014, 11:55 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
And you base that on ... what? A guess? Is this your area of expertise?

Some real experts in the industry (people who know what they are talking about) have recently begun to question whether it is "finite" or if the earth is constantly producing fossil fuels. Certainly, the idea that oil comes from decomposed dinosaurs is ridiculous on it's face.

of course the earth is producing new fossil fuels but not in the quantities that we use them, not even close..

do you really think the earth is making 86 million barrels of oil a day.??

do you really think the earth is making 8 billion tons of coal a year.??

do you really think the earth is making trillions of cubic feet of natural gas every year??

if so why do we have to look for oil , natural gas in such extreme places now days because its getting scarce..

Old 04-20-2014, 12:17 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
of course the earth is producing new fossil fuels but not in the quantities that we use them, not even close..

do you really think the earth is making 86 million barrels of oil a day.??

do you really think the earth is making 8 billion tons of coal a year.??

do you really think the earth is making trillions of cubic feet of natural gas every year??

if so why do we have to look for oil , natural gas in such extreme places now days because its getting scarce..
Oh, yes, North Dakota is such an "extreme place." What a powerful argument you have stated, one that will certainly win over all who formerly opposed your views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies