Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2014, 05:16 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
My solution is jobs -- youth of any color needs to have something to do, if not in college, they have to work. Good hard physical labor can be the best solution for youth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by othello212 View Post
I agree with this 200%
First they need to understand the value of a job. Are the intergenerational disaffected black youth interested in jobs? Why would they aspire to the first step toward self-sufficiency that an entry-level job represents if they're steeped in a narrative that tells them the deck is stacked against them no matter how hard they try?

Old 04-24-2014, 05:45 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,211,195 times
Quote:
My solution is jobs -- youth of any color needs to have something to do, if not in college, they have to work. Good hard physical labor can be the best solution for youth.
You are forgetting that this is Chiraq.... a real embedded culture of thug glorification. You would have to completely change the goals and aspirations of a large segment of people to convince them that getting a job punching a clock in a shirt and tie is what to aspire to.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:25 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,551,185 times
Quote:
What are they doing as a solution to the Black problem?
Quote:
Again..What is the SOLUTION? What should the dominant white society do with all these violent Black people as a solution?
Whether you're being facetious or not, this attitude is a real part of the problem. Black people expecting others to derive a solution. Black people not confronting our (yes, OUR, because I am black as well) problems head-on. Until we are willing to own all of our issues, including the ones we feel whites created for us, we will still be lagging behind and purposely misinterpreting our own mediocrity as the result of some racist ploy. You know, when Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis were murdered, black people mobilized for justice and created a national outcry, yet, in most of our backyards, a Trayvon and Jordan Davis are murdered almost daily at the hands of another black person. In the past week in Baltimore alone, 3 youths were shot. This is commonplace here and in many other black communities across the country, yet there is no national outcry for the rate at which we are killing our own. There are no social media petitions or demonstrations, there are no marches; there are just small local vigils and R.I.P. t-shirts. Why do we not put in the same amount of energy and "sick-and-tiredness" into confronting perpetual black-on-black violence? Because it forces us to point the finger at ourselves, whereas it is much easier to highlight the distractionary, much less frequent, issue of blacks being murdered and maligned by whites.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:29 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,594,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Criminal do not obey the law, this is regardless of where they live..

Maybe you notices the poverty and lack of opportunity in New Orleans you would understand the cause of said crime, that and being a major port for cocaine smuggling into America..

Furthermore Europe, Canada, Japan, South Korea and Australia don't have a Constitution anything like ours...
Yawn... you're always repeating the same garbage ad nauseam, copypasting it from some rwnj's website, I suppose...

Also, New Orleans is not the only american city with lax gun laws and abysmal murder rate: Cincinnati, Cleveland, Saint Louis, Birmingham... and don't forget that the South is the most violent area of USA, whereas the Northeast is the least violent... just a coincidence I suppose.

But as long as some sparsely populated middle-of-nowhere states have relatively a low murder rate you can obsessively repeat to yourself that more guns is the answer

Yeah, keep putting your head in the sand...

Last edited by italianuser; 04-24-2014 at 07:51 AM..

Old 04-24-2014, 07:39 AM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Job training programs, gang diversion programs, urban youth programs.....all cost money.

Now imagine that you are a politician in a mono-party enclave like Chicago. You don't really face re-election unless you get challenged by a party rival. So, you have to make sure you are steering pork, contracts and whatnot to keep the machine happy with you.

So, you have some bad areas of the city where impoverished (mostly minority) youths are killing each other and the occasional innocent bystander.

You can work to fix the issue like some places have (Aurora IL) or you can blame guns and say the right words at peace rallies and whatnot....but really not treat the illness.

Again, Chicago murder rate is around 8, the rest of the state is around 1.6 (same as Canada). Yet the politiicans tell you that the problem is that the areas outside of Chicago make guns too available. Seriously? You have to be face down in the kool-aid bowl to believe THAT is the problem in light of those facts.

Gun control is a politically expedient EXCUSE made by politicians and the sheep swallow it because it's conveniently aimed at political rivals so it's even more easily accepted. Well OF COURSE it's not the cities problem...it's being caused by THOSE other guys....you know...the ones with the murder rate comparable to Canada.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
You are forgetting that this is Chiraq.... a real embedded culture of thug glorification. You would have to completely change the goals and aspirations of a large segment of people to convince them that getting a job punching a clock in a shirt and tie is what to aspire to.
I went to college with quite a few kids that did it. My roomate for two years was a west side latino who bused out to one of the magnet schools and he had an uncle or two that um.....were in a position to make sure people didn't try to side-track or otherwise mess with him. Kinda like Pedro's relatives in the movie Napolean Dynamite.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:49 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,835,695 times
the chicago killings are gang members killing other gang members, the only bad thing is innocent people get killed when rivals are shooting at each other.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Again..What is the SOLUTION? What should the dominant white society do with all these violent Black people as a solution?
The problem is poverty not race.

Not understanding the statistics?

Um, what you guys are doing is essentially blaming the carrying of umbrellas as the cause of rain storms.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:59 AM

1,070 posts, read 739,680 times
It's not chauvinistic but simply acknowledges the fact that there is a big gap in medium income and per capita GDP between the us and Mexico, making any comparisons...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
So comparing Americans to Mexicans is insulting to Americans? That's a bit....chauvinistic isn't it? Of course, the usual suspects should be shouting RACIST!!! about it, but I guess if you argue for gun-control laws you get a pass on such things.

But anyway, go take a stroll around the places in the US with the highest murder rates, like Detroit, New Orleans, Memphis, etc. and ask yourself how much those places remind you of Denmark, Germany, or Japan. The answer will be, "Not very much."

Old 04-24-2014, 11:20 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Bingo! But if they can put gun laws on the rest of the country.....it will fix what is wrong?

Sadly not a chance.

However, it does give the urban politicians a great excuse for not having to spend money and effort on an issue that mainly kills pigmented gang members....and they have no serious opposition in elections so all they have to do is deflect blame to the "other guys".

The bottom line to me is that if you have a murder rate of 1.0 in Lincoln Park and a murder rate of 35+ just 3 miles a way (per 100k)....it's not an issue of laws but of enforcement and intervention that the city is just looking to pass the buck on.

And the sheep are too stupid or too paid off (Anybody remember Sharpton complaining about Chicago? Then going quiet.) to do anything about it.

Oh, MLK tried to protest Chicago too...read up sheep. Baaaaaah.

P.S. Not saying you shouldn't vote dem or rep....just telling you that you are being lied to and misdirected on this ONE issue.
That is part of what I'm saying. The strict gun laws would not work because criminals don't obey laws.

One thing to consider, is that many efforts that would effectively curb crime, as you say, cost money. Politicians don't want to spend it. And some people really don't want to see it spent either.

Chicago's murder rate, well, I put it this way. Chicago could do better. On the other hand, pointing to Chicago as the "Sodom and Gomorrah" of America or "the worst place in America" is not really accurate. All of this shouting about Chicago, no one mentioned Baltimore, Detroit, or Oakland. Just Chicago. This tells me that it has very little to do with gun laws and alot more to do with the President. I say this. If a person has a problem with President Obama's policies, talk about his policies. Don't bash Chicago in the process.

And with the neighborhoods, one has to look at the neighborhoods to see certain ones have lower murder rates than others. And we can go beyond Chicago to look at that. Consider Omaha. Omaha doesn't have that many murders in a year. However, most of them are in one part of the city, North Omaha.

I don't know much about Al Sharpton. I've never paid any attention to him.

And I know about the MLK situation in Chicago. That was scary. People were throwing bottles at him, trying to kill him and his protesters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies