Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 07:30 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,691,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Im def Ok with "affirmative action" for veterans; especially combat vets, anybody else. no.
If you are implying that vets should get extra points added to their test scores, I disagree. Either you meet the testing standards or you don't.

The issue that needs to be addressed with vets, is that in too many states, the training and education vets acquired while in the military is not counted, or accredited. Even if some colleges accept military schools, they will only count the education received in the Air Force and Army, but not for vets coming from the Navy or Marines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 07:33 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,691,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Tried repping you, but gotta' spread the love around.

I just have one thing to add.

Repeal the 17th. Most of the intrusive, big brother, over-centralized bureaucracy, over reach and interference in our pursuit of happiness would dissipate with the repeal.
It's my opinion that the 17th needs to be repealed also.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:56 AM

39,096 posts, read 51,300,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No. Both are really the same argument and IMO how it will shake out.

We will note, the courts took the cheap way out and didn't make a ruling whether or not they would rule AA discriminatory overall. They ruled that states may vote to end discriminatory practices.

Voting to ban gay marriage is voting to enact discriminatory practices.
They are not the same whatsoever. In contrast there is long precedent in the courts regarding the right of people to marry whom they choose including the well-known Loving v. Virginia. Equal protection under law is clearly established and THAT is the argument in gay marriage rights. States cannot reject equal protection. Every appeals court has concurred and it is a virtual certainty that the SCOTUS will invalidate all state laws prohibiting gay marriage in the near term.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:02 AM

16,644 posts, read 8,656,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
im mixed on this, as i do consider legacy admissions to be a form of affirmative action for whites, specifically white males who should not be on the campus to begin with, and only got in because of dad going there and donating money. i understand that
The difference of course is that it is not mandated or sanctioned by the government. So while some mindless idiots will get to take advantage of legacy admissions, their numbers are small.
College admission boards can still get around AA with such novel terms as "Diversity Goals" and other such AA programs in sheep's clothing, but the days of race based admissions is thankfully coming to an end.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:06 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,284,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
They are not the same whatsoever. In contrast there is long precedent in the courts regarding the right of people to marry whom they choose including the well-known Loving v. Virginia. Equal protection under law is clearly established and THAT is the argument in gay marriage rights. States cannot reject equal protection. Every appeals court has concurred and it is a virtual certainty that the SCOTUS will invalidate all state laws prohibiting gay marriage in the near term.
I don't think you read what I wrote.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:35 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,121,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Or because you are black. Or because you are female. Or because.......
What?
1. He already laid out using race = racism, so your point made no sense.
2. Stop cherry picking and answer the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Its preferential treatment I suppose. But in no way is that dictated by law. And I bet that happens far less than you think. And very little of it has anything to do with someone being white. And you bring up athletes. I see an overwhelmingly amount of blacks in the NCAA ranks, many of whom are on scholarships.

But of course there is some form of preferential treatment that occurs like you mention. Its part of life. But none of it is forced or dictated by law. No law should force discrimination.
So if you learned that AA isn't a law, but rather a policy schools choose to use, how would that change your opinion of AA?

And outside of basketball, football, and track, what sports are Black-dominated in college? What do you think the demographic breakdown of all student-athletes in college is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
The difference of course is that it is not mandated or sanctioned by the government. So while some mindless idiots will get to take advantage of legacy admissions, their numbers are small.
College admission boards can still get around AA with such novel terms as "Diversity Goals" and other such AA programs in sheep's clothing, but the days of race based admissions is thankfully coming to an end.
Never let facts get in the way of a good cry.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:43 AM

11 posts, read 12,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Sotomayor is incensed and rightly so. AA was about to give an unneeded advantage to people like her, the millions of illegals and their children that have invaded the US. I can understand AA to help blacks catch up in years gone by, but foreign hispanics were all but handed the keys to the kingdom in the recent past. They do not deserve or need affirmative actions.
She is not a foreign Hispanic, she happens to be of Puerto Rican descent. Puerto Ricans are U.S. citizens, because Puerto Rico is a territory of the U.S.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:17 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,118,315 times
Sotomayor annoys me. She thinks everyone is equal but that some people (minorities) should be more equal.

Since we have established that her seat is the "Puerto Rican seat" I propose she be recalled and replaced with an ultra-far right conservative Puerto Rican like Thomas Rivera Schatz or Kimmy Raschke who can rule according to the US Constitution rather than based on emotion and judicial activism.

BTW: all Puerto Ricans are Americans by birth. They may speak Spanish as their first language but they are NOT foreigners.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:58 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,207,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by othello212 View Post
I could care less for Afirmative action..You asked what has AA done for me? Not a damn thing because WHITE WOMEN receive most of the AA benefits..This is how white supremacy works..You buddy up to Black people and get them to categorize themselves as :minorities"..And then you tell them that you have this new program that will help "minorities".And then the white supremacist will quietly classify WHITE WOMEN as minorities so that whites can reap all the Affirmative Action benefits..This white supremacy con game goes on and on and on.And Blacks need to stop playing nice and hoping for a moral awakening in these white supremacist and go for their reparations
White supremacist are hardly feminists. The typical white supremacist, politically active or not, probably doesn't think women should be in college at all.

Get your ideas straight, please.

The SCOTUS decision really wasn't about AA per se. It was about whether or not Michigan voters could enact a law that prohibited affirmative action. They said the law was valid. They didn't say affirmative action was good or bad.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:28 PM

684 posts, read 871,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
affirmative action ban

Published April 22, 2014FoxNews.com

Facebook1003 Twitter668 Gplus0

Oct. 15, 2013: People line up to hear oral arguments, including the case Schuette v. Coalition to Defend Affirmative Action, at the Supreme Court in Washington.reuters

The Supreme Court has upheld Michigan's affirmative action ban, ruling that the state has the right to determine whether racial preferences can be considered in college admissions.

In a 6-2 ruling on Tuesday, the justices said that a lower federal court was wrong to set aside the change as discriminatory. The Supreme Court ruled that Michigan voters had the right to change their state constitution to bar public colleges and universities from using race as a factor in admissions.

Justice Anthony Kennedy, writing for the majority, suggested that right extends even beyond college policies.
"There is no authority in the federal constitution or in the [courts'] precedents for the judiciary to set aside Michigan laws that commit to the voters the determination whether racial preferences may be considered in governmental decisions, in particular with respect to school admissions," he wrote.

Kennedy said voters chose to eliminate racial preferences because they deemed them unwise.
"This case is not about how the debate about racial preferences should be resolved. It is about who may resolve it," Kennedy said.

And if Kennedy had been on the ball, he would have added: you cannot resolve racism with more racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies