Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 01:21 AM

1,634 posts, read 1,210,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
As far as I know, all of the laws in the US talk about sexual orientation. They don't specifically name homosexuals as a protected class.
The Windsor decision declared gays a protected class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 03:57 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,709,672 times
Gotta love how vigorously some folks fight for the right to withhold inherent worth and dignity from others. I wonder if they realize that the most universal ethic in civilization, the ethic of reciprocity, implies that, by rights, what they should be deprived of that which they wish to deprive from others. But of course, they think themselves special and exempt from reasonable expectations of conduct in society.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Gotta love how vigorously some folks fight for the right to withhold inherent worth and dignity from others. I wonder if they realize that the most universal ethic in civilization, the ethic of reciprocity, implies that, by rights, what they should be deprived of that which they wish to deprive from others. But of course, they think themselves special and exempt from reasonable expectations of conduct in society.
You could have just said "I wonder if people know of the Golden Rule"

Anyway, I can give you hundreds of examples of how our own government violates that ethic, perpetually.

Do you ever say to yourself "Gee, I wonder if there is any irony in the truth that our government wants to grant a silly freedom in the name of ethical goodness while murdering the rest of the world"

The argument becomes inane.

Either way, I wasn't arguing for removing rights for homosexuals...even though I really don't care if that were to happen. I was arguing for not extending their rights. See, if you want homosexuals to have the same protections as e everybody else..then surely you want everybody to have the same protections a homosexuals right? Of course you do!!!

So you MUST have a problem with 48 states extending protections to gays that us lowly straight folks don't have.....right?

THE GOLDEN RULE

Old 04-23-2014, 04:39 AM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChestRockwell View Post
Perhaps, but people people tend to make up self-serving rationalizations for their offensive behavior, so the more that one can do to lay the groundwork for exposing that the better.

Case in point...
Quote:
Anyway, I can give you hundreds of examples of how our own government violates that ethic, perpetually.
Quote:
Either way, I wasn't arguing for removing rights for homosexuals...even though I really don't care if that were to happen. I was arguing for not extending their rights.
You were arguing for allowing people you like to enjoy society's benefits of marriage to the person they love, while arguing against allowing people you don't like to enjoy society's benefits of marriage to the person they love.

Quote:
THE GOLDEN RULE
Perhaps you should learn what it means before you try to post about it.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post

You were arguing for allowing people you like to enjoy society's benefits of marriage to the person they love, while arguing against allowing people you don't like to enjoy society's benefits of marriage to the person they love.
No, I wasn't

Old 04-23-2014, 06:15 AM
bUU

It isn't surprising to see you attempt to deny it. It is surprising to see that you posted such a remarkably impotent attempt at denial.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:39 AM

372 posts, read 1,043,221 times
Quote:

Do you ever say to yourself "Gee, I wonder if there is any irony in the truth that our government wants to grant a silly freedom in the name of ethical goodness while murdering the rest of the world"

The argument becomes inane.

Either way, I wasn't arguing for removing rights for homosexuals...even though I really don't care if that were to happen. I was arguing for not extending their rights. See, if you want homosexuals to have the same protections as e everybody else..then surely you want everybody to have the same protections a homosexuals right? Of course you do!!!

So you MUST have a problem with 48 states extending protections to gays that us lowly straight folks don't have.....right?

THE GOLDEN RULE
What rights do homosexuals have that straight folks don't have?

Old 04-23-2014, 09:41 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,407,870 times
Quote:
9 States With Anti-Gay Laws That Aren't That Different From Russia's | ThinkProgress

Every state should fight for this. Homosexuals have no grounds for being a protected class. The agenda is rooted in negating state rights more than it is about protecting an extreme minority from a phobia.

We need to stop inconveniencing a whole nation over this BS.
Since when is having the same rights as other citizens qualify one as "protected class?"

"State's rights" has and always will be code for a state's right to legally discriminate.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:11 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,212,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
Since when is having the same rights as other citizens qualify one as "protected class?"

"State's rights" has and always will be code for a state's right to legally discriminate.

Well, I wouldn't say that. States' rights is invoked every time a region of the country has a disagreement with the federal government. It has been used for the defense of gun rights, land rights, energy rights, objections to the EPA, mineral management service, the BLM, the TSA, the NSA, opposition to seatbelt mandates or speed limits, abortion, and many economic concerns such as the maximum length of a semi trailer. It is downright idiotic for someone to say that states' rights is always associated with discrimination.

Furthermore, the equal protection clause does not guarantee gays a right to marriage, and anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot. If you argue that it does guarantee that right, when exactly did it start guaranteeing that right? In 1868 when it was ratified? Or just now, because you say it so?

If you truly believe it guaranteed gays a right to marry in 1868 when it was ratified, then ask yourself, if the people who voted on it knew that, would they have even ratified it?

You can't just start making up new rights as you go along. Either they were always there or they were never there. I'm tired of this living constitution crap. To believe we have a "living constitution" is to believe we have no constitution at all.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:18 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,561 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Straw man....never said that. Not even close.
That is what you said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies