Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 08:45 AM

10,234 posts, read 6,322,066 times

Advertisements

Manipulation. How to get people to comply who won't get with the program? Brainwash other people that these people will make THEM sick. Goes beyond smoking/ vaping, to vaccinations, and all health related issues. Hell, you cannot make somebody obese, but you can convince others that these "sick" obese people will make others INSURANCE rates go up. Pit all members of society against one another. The concept works for everything.

We distort, you COMPLY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 08:47 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eowyn54 View Post
Clemson University (South Carolina) is thinking about banning all tobacco products on campus, INCLUDING e-cigarettes. They're following the College of Charleston and Medical University of South Carolina and the University of South Carolina have all banned tobacco on their entire campuses. Story is in the Post and Courier on Tuesday, April 22. You can almost see their point on tobacco, because of the second-hand smoke problem. But that problem DOESN'T EXIST with e-cigs! So why include them in the ban?

Because all of the paranoid do gooders have to have something to complain about. Yet they are the first ones to get into their vehicle that needs a muffler and drive away without thought to the pollution they are putting out there. They should ride a bike and save the fuel and the air.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:50 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Clemson University (South Carolina) is thinking about banning all tobacco products on campus, INCLUDING e-cigarettes. They're following the College of Charleston and Medical University of South Carolina and the University of South Carolina have all banned tobacco on their entire campuses. Story is in the Post and Courier on Tuesday, April 22. You can almost see their point on tobacco, because of the second-hand smoke problem. But that problem DOESN'T EXIST with e-cigs! So why include them in the ban?
uhm..second hand smoke doesnt happen with chew either...but it is certainly a tobacco and nicotine product

Last edited by workingclasshero; 04-23-2014 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: my bad typing

Old 04-23-2014, 09:05 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
You can almost see their point on tobacco, because of the second-hand smoke problem. But that problem DOESN'T EXIST with e-cigs!
It doesn't exist with tobacco, either, but that hasn't stopped them.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I suppose banning it til some sound results come in is a good precaution.
If we banned all new technologies until the government made sure they were "safe" for us, we'd still be living in caves.

As I typed the above sentence, I realized just how much people WANT that parent/child relationship with their government. It's sad, and a bit scary, that people think that way.

The liquids used in e-cigs are made from food grade ingredients. Vegetable glycerin (food grade), propylene glycol (food grade), flavorings (food grade) and maybe a tiny bit of water or pure grain alcohol to thin it out. There's nothing in these liquids that you don't eat every day, save the nicotine - if there's any in the liquid. Not all of them contain nicotine.

People want to ban e-cigs because it LOOKS like smoking, and they just can't deal with the thought of people doing something that looks like smoking. They're busybodies who are more concerned with telling other people what to do than they are with learning the facts surrounding the issue they're demanding new rules about.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Basically nicotine is just another drug and i guess the college doesnt want people doing drugs on campus..
Yeah, that's it. You nailed it.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
FWIW - e-cigs are just the same a regular cigs without the high temperature byproducts or the obnoxious smell.
They are nothing like "regular cigs." NOTHING.

Those who developed this product never should have gone with the name "e-cig" or "electronic cigarette." That decision may have sealed the fate of this new device.

I thought you were smarter than that, Greg. You should know that they're completely different. I suppose that nobody is immune from social brainwashing, though, even the most hardcore "individuals."

Old 04-23-2014, 09:26 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,785,325 times
Quote:
Have you forgotten all those nice taxes the govt gets with every cigarette pack sold?

Smoking is a problem they don't want solved.

Anything that gets people off cigarettes, will be quietly deep-sixed.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:32 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkyler View Post
Because liberals gonna lib, that's why.
The smoking issue is non partisan.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:17 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,004,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
The answer to your question is.... social engineering and manipulation. Think that's far fetched? Just read the statements made by LA and NY City Council Members about why they enacted bans on e-products in public. They said they "didn't want e-products to undo the years of work it took to place a stigma on smokers and the act of smoking itself"... They "didn't want e-products to re-normalize the sight of smoking in public places"
I know you disagree....and probably many others with me. But this is a reason why I want them banned from public places....I dont want my kids to grow up thinking smoking is a normal thing.

North Dakota smoking ban from a few years ago does include e-cigs as well from bars, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies