Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 11:14 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,934,635 times

Advertisements

I live in West Virginia which is currently controlled by Democrats on the state level (will probably change in November). I live in a district that regularly votes Republican but commute to a district that is typically Democrat. I notice that the moment the road crosses into the Democrat district at Charleston city limits, it becomes very well paved. In the Republican district, they only fill it the potholes and the road is still a mess. The Democrat districts contributes very little tax money to the state, it is known as the most ghetto area in West Virginia with lots of people who support Obama and dependent on the state and federal government and also has a lot of crime and drugs, I'm talking about the West Side for those of y'all who are familiar with the area. Unlike the coal fields and the natural gas producing regions and the areas with tourism, this Democrat district contributes nothing and is a drain on the state, the way Democrat cities like Detroit, Philadelphia, Newark, and Chicago are a drain on the country.

I previously lived in Maryland and it was the same. The entire statewide gas tax would be increased when Baltimore or the DC suburbs want new mass transit. Statewide taxes are used to benefit the illegal aliens, ghetto people, and other welfare dependents in the cities and to fund road projects in the cities. The Eastern Shore and Western Maryland get far less than their fair share back from the state government, Carroll County still can't get funding for highway extensions and widening. Of course the Eastern Shore and Western Maryland are rural, Christian, conservative, Republican areas while Baltimore City and the DC suburbs are full of liberal Democrat voters. Baltimore City and PG County contribute nothing to the state except to the crime rate.

Does the reverse happen in Republican controlled states? I think the Democrats do this to send a message, to punish voters in areas that don't support them, and to basically coerce voters into voting for them, make it so we are unhappy with our Republican delegates, make them seem ineffectual, so we will vote Democrat next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 11:21 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Actually, I think your observations coincide with the fact that Dems are more likely to spend money on infrastructure improvements and other community needs versus Republicans or the GOP. So it makes sense that the liberal areas improve. They want to ensure that their areas benefit the greater community. The conservatives are fine the way things are and so don't want to spend money to improve things.

Unless you have something that shows that fiscally, the state is sending money to liberal districts, I wouldn't believe you in that respect.

Also, I think you are trying to use this to make some sort of "us vs them" statement that is unwarranted. If you want your area to fix roads, go down to your local government building and attend meetings and let them know what you want fixed and ask to see plans of any infrastructure improvements. You may not know it, but there is a such thing as Open Records and you can request this sort of information from your local government.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:24 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I live in West Virginia which is currently controlled by Democrats on the state level (will probably change in November). I live in a district that regularly votes Republican but commute to a district that is typically Democrat. I notice that the moment the road crosses into the Democrat district at Charleston city limits, it becomes very well paved. In the Republican district, they only fill it the potholes and the road is still a mess. The Democrat districts contributes very little tax money to the state, it is known as the most ghetto area in West Virginia with lots of people who support Obama and dependent on the state and federal government and also has a lot of crime and drugs, I'm talking about the West Side for those of y'all who are familiar with the area. Unlike the coal fields and the natural gas producing regions and the areas with tourism, this Democrat district contributes nothing and is a drain on the state, the way Democrat cities like Detroit, Philadelphia, Newark, and Chicago are a drain on the country.

I previously lived in Maryland and it was the same. The entire statewide gas tax would be increased when Baltimore or the DC suburbs want new mass transit. Statewide taxes are used to benefit the illegal aliens, ghetto people, and other welfare dependents in the cities and to fund road projects in the cities. The Eastern Shore and Western Maryland get far less than their fair share back from the state government, Carroll County still can't get funding for highway extensions and widening. Of course the Eastern Shore and Western Maryland are rural, Christian, conservative, Republican areas while Baltimore City and the DC suburbs are full of liberal Democrat voters. Baltimore City and PG County contribute nothing to the state except to the crime rate.

Does the reverse happen in Republican controlled states? I think the Democrats do this to send a message, to punish voters in areas that don't support them, and to basically coerce voters into voting for them, make it so we are unhappy with our Republican delegates, make them seem ineffectual, so we will vote Democrat next time.
It's different here in Texas. The locals have to pay for what they want.
Austin wants new mass transit then Austin residents pay for it.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:25 AM

Also wanted to state that it was funny when you said "the Democrat areas contribute very little" LOL. Usually larger metropolitan areas contribute WAY more in taxes to the state versus more rural areas. So I don't believe you there either.

And the cities you mentioned are not a "drain" on the country. Chicago is the biggest on the list and as much as you all like to down Chicago, it is stable economically. Cities usually always have higher tax rates so they are always paying more than you and your conservative ilk out in the boonies.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
This is how it is in Atlanta too and in my hometown in Ohio. The only thing that is statewide funding are large state DOT improvements on freeways and such.

This is why I can tell the OP is trolling. I shouldn't have fallen into his/her trap.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That makes sense but Maryland has a statewide gas tax that pays for everything which is unfair to rural and suburban areas. West Virginia also has a statewide tax but there are no subway lines in the state. The Morgantown PRT is paid for by the university which actually is pretty much self funding due to large numbers of out of state kids going there.

But with the current arrangement it seems the liberal areas certainly get most of the funding even though they contribute less.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:11 PM

22,191 posts, read 19,470,309 times
Quote:
That makes sense but Maryland has a statewide gas tax that pays for everything which is unfair to rural and suburban areas. West Virginia also has a statewide tax but there are no subway lines in the state. The Morgantown PRT is paid for by the university which actually is pretty much self funding due to large numbers of out of state kids going there.

But with the current arrangement it seems the liberal areas certainly get most of the funding even though they contribute less.
Take a look at the incomes in the liberal suburban DC counties and compare it to the shore and western Maryland. Where do you think the tax base is coming from?

Old 04-29-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Take a look at the incomes in the liberal suburban DC counties and compare it to the shore and western Maryland. Where do you think the tax base is coming from?
But here in WV its the opposite. And I'm talking specific election districts here not just counties or cities since due to Democrat gerrymandering (which also happens in Maryland and all states where Democrats rule) the district lines don't correspond with county and city. Yet the moment you cross into the Democrat district here, which is mostly a small urban ghetto, the roads are freshly paved and well maintained while the suburban and semi-rural Republican district never sees the roads maintained. I know a lot of people think their Delegate is responsible for getting funds to the district. I think the Democrats use this as a way to combat the Republicans and make Republican officials look impotent and powerless in front of their constituents hoping the constituents will vote Democrats. After the district votes Democrat we will probably get more road improvements.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:52 PM

Anyone else noticed this trend in your state?

Old 04-29-2014, 10:57 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Quote:
Anyone else noticed this trend in your state?
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies