Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 11:55 AM

68,352 posts, read 54,513,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Conservative and tolerance don't belong in the same sentence.

Liberals are intolerant of intolerant conservatives. Does that make liberals intolerant?

(English should reveal the answer to that question)
Personally, I believe the current parties on both sides of the aisle pretty much suck and can only look forward to the remote possibility of a 3rd party taking away some of their clout.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:55 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,785,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Insults and character assassinations!
There intolerance is from not being taught self control from their parents.
Mainly because there was no daddy figure in the house and they disrespected their mothers in the same manner.
So much tolerance and compassion in your words... you are a shining example of all that is good in America. God bless you, you true hardworking patriot.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:56 AM

68,352 posts, read 54,513,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecstatic Magnet View Post
Am I the only one who picked up on the irony in the topic?

How do you whine about intolerance and then overgeneralize an entire group of people as being intolerant?

Idiocy.
AKA: Politics

Old 05-12-2014, 11:58 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,262,594 times
my experience is being around many a "liberal" is that they know everything and want to be the smartest person in the room. They become increasingly annoyed if you challenge their "facts" or lack of.
They tend to also be narcissists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
First of all, I consider myself an independent. I've voted for both liberals and conservatives, it depends on the candidate, not the party. I know both liberals and conservatives in my family, at work and among friends. With that dynamic, I've noticed that liberals are far more intolerant of opinions counter to their own.
If I bring something up that a conservative disagrees with, they pretty much accept it, offer their reasons for disagreeing and move on. If I do the same with a liberal OH MY GOD! You would think I were insulting their mother. They immediately see it as their job to "correct" me or show me the error of my ways. There is no room for discussion or even friendly debate. It gets so that I never bring up or participate in any discussion about politics with liberals in my life because either I am agreeing with things I don't agree with just to keep the peace or I am arguing with them because they can't stand to hear someone express an opinion that they disagree with.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:59 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,235,413 times
Quote:
You want to know the truth?

It is because liberals are right and conservatives are wrong. It has always been that way. Make a laundry list of accomplishments from liberals and compare it to conservatives. Here are a few that come to mind.

Liberals:
-5 day work week
-civil rights
-worker benefits / compensation /disability
-women's suffrage
-Food, drug, safety, and environmental agencies to regulate practices that compromise public health
-public transportation
-Federal Student loans
-social security, medicare, medicaid
-farmers home administration
-car safety standards

etc., etc., etc. (feel free to add to this list)

Conservatives:
<cricket sound>

The more detailed response is the following:

Conservatives are more likely to have opinions based on (mostly religious) beliefs that usually pander to authoritarian negative stimuli. Conservatives like to construct a world(view) that makes the believer feel comfortable. Any discomfort is viewed as a threat. Liberals are more likely to have "beliefs" that stem from logic, science, and research. Research, logic, and science trump ideology because that is how mankind grows. We grow through learning, adapting, and confronting our issues. We don't grow through regressing further into a box.

To answer my initial question: Conservatives have a track record of zero. History says the liberals are right.
Proof of the original posters point. You really are a walking talking stereotype.

Last edited by toryturner; 05-12-2014 at 12:11 PM..

Old 05-12-2014, 12:00 PM

really? how?

Quote:
Conservative and tolerance don't belong in the same sentence.

Liberals are intolerant of intolerant conservatives. Does that make liberals intolerant?

(English should reveal the answer to that question)
no liberals are intolerant of people who do not fit into their social collective.
fascist is a good word.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:02 PM

Wrong on the civil rights part!
I guess you forgot who voted against the civil rights act.

Quote:
You want to know the truth?

It is because liberals are right and conservatives are wrong. It has always been that way. Make a laundry list of accomplishments from liberals and compare it to conservatives. Here are a few that come to mind.

Liberals:
-5 day work week
-civil rights
-worker benefits / compensation /disability
-women's suffrage
-Food, drug, safety, and environmental agencies to regulate practices that compromise public health
-public transportation
-Federal Student loans
-social security, medicare, medicaid
-farmers home administration
-car safety standards

etc., etc., etc. (feel free to add to this list)

Conservatives:
<cricket sound>

The more detailed response is the following:

Conservatives are more likely to have opinions based on (mostly religious) beliefs that usually pander to authoritarian negative stimuli. Conservatives like to construct a world(view) that makes the believer feel comfortable. Any discomfort is viewed as a threat. Liberals are more likely to have "beliefs" that stem from logic, science, and research. Research, logic, and science trump ideology because that is how mankind grows. We grow through learning, adapting, and confronting our issues. We don't grow through regressing further into a box.

To answer my initial question: Conservatives have a track record of zero. History says the liberals are right.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:02 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,270,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
They're not. Bigots just say that to deflect attention from their bigotry as they become more and more isolated from civilized society.

"Wahhhhh! All those fun gay jokes and ni&&er jokes I used to make get me in trouble with other people now! It's fascism! It's the PC police! It's LIBRULS!!!!!!"

Also, conservatives are wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
really? how?

no liberals are intolerant of people who do not fit into their social collective.
fascist is a good word.
Did I call it or what?

Old 05-12-2014, 12:03 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,270,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
Wrong on the civil rights part!
I guess you forgot who voted against the civil rights act.
We all know. It was conservatives. Who happened to be voting with Southern (not even Northern) Democrats at the time.

Nice try, though.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:04 PM

860 posts, read 1,112,602 times
You can be liberal and not okay with homosexuality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies