Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 09:19 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,896,332 times

Advertisements

The Class of 2014 Just Made History in the Worst Imaginable Way - PolicyMic

I predict my generation will be the first that is worse off then the prior generation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 09:37 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,726,226 times
This is what happens when government gets involved in the name of helping the poor. Government dabbling drives costs up and makes more poor people.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:42 PM

1,199 posts, read 734,435 times
This can only go on for so long. Just take a look at many law schools and small liberal colleges are having their enrollment numbers drop. Some law schools have seen enrollment drop by 60% and some of the small liberal colleges are closing up shop. It is only a matter of time when young people start realizing that the expense of college isn't worth it.

We need to seriously take a look at our higher ed system in the US. Ill give you nursing for example. Before it used to be a 2 year AA was sufficient for 99% of all hospitals to gain employment. The cost even in today number for an AA in nursing is about is around 5k for two years of high quality education.

Now, more and more hospitals are requiring a BSN and some schools can cost 6 figures for the education. Want to know the difference.......
About a few extra classes on theory of nursing and some management classes. That is it.

Physical Therapy is another great example. Before, a BA was perfect. Now you need a doctorates and 100k in student loans. The only difference......you get to write a dissertation and now you can call yourself doctor. It is ridiculous.

Let's stop degree creep in health care

I say in ten years, if tuition keeps going at the rate it is, you will see a dramatic drop in college enrollments and more and more colleges will close. I suspect we will see more funding going to JC/community colleges and apprenticeship programs. That is the way to go, at leat in my opinion.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:46 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,279 times
I posted this is the other thread but I will post it here too.

I think a lot of people don't know what their options are when it comes to student loans.

For instance, everyone says that student loans are not able to be written off in bankruptcy. That is only partially true. You can't file chapter 7 on your student loans, but you can file chapter 13, erasing interest accrued on the debt and freezing all future interest accumulation.

With the terrible job market that graduates fall into after graduation these options need to be made known to them so that they don't have mental break downs.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:49 PM

I went to local college, paid along the way and made the same title and same money as someone who was deep in debt from going to one of those schools.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:51 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,965,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
This is what happens when government gets involved in the name of helping the poor. Government dabbling drives costs up and makes more poor people.
Hmm..This is NOT the 1st class where there was government involvement in student loans. Its over a 30 year issue. So why would the other 29 years have not seen this effect, if government were the deciding factor?

Old 05-19-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Hmm..This is NOT the 1st class where there was government involvement in student loans. Its over a 30 year issue. So why would the other 29 years have not seen this effect, if government were the deciding factor?
Today people are willing to take on more debt than before. As demand grew, and people were willing to take on more debt, prices increased.

Colleges and teachers are liberal, the greedy taking advantage of kids trying to make their way.

---->>>> Liberal greed.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:55 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,169,710 times
Quote:
I went to local college, paid along the way and made the same title and same money as someone who was deep in debt from going to one of those schools.
Good for you, what years did you do this?

Old 05-19-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Good for you, what years did you do this?
Back in the days that we didn't expect handouts. We worked and went to college. It was hard times but worth it, no big screen tv (minimalist) and I didn't mortgage tomorrow's earnings, graduated without debt.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:02 PM

778 posts, read 823,367 times
Quote:
Back in the days that we didn't expect handouts.
By which you mean "so long ago that the tuition I paid and wages I earned bear no relevance to what college students are paying or earning today," I'm sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies