Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 09:53 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times

Advertisements

I cannot find a legit link to this exact story, but a friend of mine from Detroit (Highland Park) told me that Shanghai Motors (Chinese version of GM) has built a headquarters in Detroit and is planning on starting auto production of Chinese cars and the Gov of MI is going to try to get 50,000 work visas for Chinese workers.

Has anyone else heard about this? I cannot believe our government would allow this given the amount of unemployed citizens we have right here.

Maybe it's not even true but here is a link that tells part of the story.

Michigan governor urges 50,000 visas for skilled Detroit immigrants | Reuters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 10:15 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,340,314 times
I have long thought that the best way to revitalize Detroit would be to let in a large influx of immigrants. We should give out visas like candy to any qualified immigrant as long as they are willing to live and start businesses in Detroit for, lets say, ten years?

God knows white people are never going to move back there. Even the black people are leaving now by the thousands.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:16 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
i thnk that the red chinese are going to do a good job with detroit.
i think they need however to bring their own security teams. ours are worthless.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:27 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,909,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I cannot find a legit link to this exact story, but a friend of mine from Detroit (Highland Park) told me that Shanghai Motors (Chinese version of GM) has built a headquarters in Detroit and is planning on starting auto production of Chinese cars and the Gov of MI is going to try to get 50,000 work visas for Chinese workers.

Has anyone else heard about this? I cannot believe our government would allow this given the amount of unemployed citizens we have right here.

Like you said: in this economy there's NO need for more legal aliens IMHO.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:31 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,762,258 times
Quote:

EB2 visa requires an advanced degree (bachelor's degree or higher). I don't think it is just for "Chinese workers".

Old 05-16-2014, 06:15 AM

409 posts, read 512,270 times
The Chinese have uninhabited cites completely built.
And for who? The Americans who will be out of work and homeless!
Thank god our administration is working tirelessly, with the Chinese to help take care of U,S, citizens in the future!

Old 05-16-2014, 06:19 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:

Good- God knows the population there is not hard working or educated enough anymore to produce anything. They have been culled on generational governmental support and have developed a culture which opposes education and a strong work ethic.

Immigration of hard working, educated, and LEGAL immigrants has been how America has prospered. Have you ever met a lazy immigrant?

Old 05-16-2014, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
EB2 visa requires an advanced degree (bachelor's degree or higher). I don't think it is just for "Chinese workers".
I won't argue this for a minute because I really don't know. This is more rumor than anything.

Well, I hope it's good for Detroit and Michigan, they need some good news.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:23 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,389,243 times
Detroit's population had dropped more than 1 million people in the last 60 years. All of that land sitting empty is not benefitting anyone. If they are going to live in the city, work in the city and pay taxes, what's wrong with it?

Bringing more industry to the city will result in more jobs for the folks already there, as well.

Why is this a bad thing - because it's supposedly a Chinese company?

Old 05-16-2014, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Good- God knows the population there is not hard working or educated enough anymore to produce anything. They have been culled on generational governmental support and have developed a culture which opposes education and a strong work ethic.

Immigration of hard working, educated, and LEGAL immigrants has been how America has prospered. Have you ever met a lazy immigrant?
But our lazy good for nothings are going nowhere so where are they going to go if they get pushed out of Detroit? I guess wherever the best welfare benefits are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies