Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2014, 07:25 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,666,331 times

Advertisements

This seems like an intrusion on the Fourth Amendment.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 07:39 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Appeal the law.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:41 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Not only that, but the PA Tea Party is pushing a bill to make it illegal to have secret compartments in your car. Just goes to show you that the GOP =/= freedom. Although, why would you have secret compartments in your car in the first place is beyond me, anyway

Besides, police still need probable cause to search your vehicle without a warrant. If I get pulled over for speeding, the police will not have probable cause to search through my car. Officers can't just casually look into your car and say they have probable cause to sarch your car when it's clean

Old 05-22-2014, 08:22 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times
Judges against the people yet again.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:32 AM

25,721 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Not only that, but the PA Tea Party is pushing a bill to make it illegal to have secret compartments in your car. Just goes to show you that the GOP =/= freedom. Although, why would you have secret compartments in your car in the first place is beyond me, anyway
Let's say I'm a crossdresser and don't want anyone to know. A secret compartment is just the ticket. Point is, what the hell does it matter why you'd want a secret compartment? It nobody's business unless you are doing something illegal.

Quote:
Besides, police still need probable cause to search your vehicle without a warrant. If I get pulled over for speeding, the police will not have probable cause to search through my car.
All they need to do is say they have probable cause, and legally they will. Nobody is going to believe you because the police personel are the authority figures, professionals, and experts. You are simply a subject. That's the sort of thing a warrant is supposed to prevent.

Quote:
Officers can't just casually look into your car and say they have probable cause to sarch your car when it's clean
They can say any damn thing they want to. Again, that's was the purpose of a warrant, basically to get a second or third opinion. But you police state types don't feel it is needed. So here we go down the road of the "officer" holding the K-Y and you bending over on demand.

As for a "secret compartment"... what is that? That could be a closed plastic tote in your back seat under a jacket. A secret compartment is whatever they say it is. The space under you spare tire is a secret compartment. It's simply another excuse to subjugate a nation of sheep.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:17 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,905,875 times
Quote:
Besides, police still need probable cause to search your vehicle without a warrant.
"Probable cause" is easy as all the cop has to do is claim you were behaving suspiciously and the definition of suspicious is anything the cop can imagine so it is literally no barrier at all and can be used as an excuse for indiscriminate searches.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:32 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times
For those of you interested, here is the actual decision:

http://www.pacourts.us/assets/opinio...81959.pdf?cb=1

I have yet to read it, but shall.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:47 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,729,004 times
one of the gestapo states, it figures

Old 05-22-2014, 10:47 AM

741 posts, read 764,096 times
The first paragraph of the decision makes it clear: the police need probable cause. The court based its decision on judicial precident at the federal level, from what I'm reading. Anyone read it differently?

Old 05-22-2014, 10:55 AM

25,721 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Probable cause may as well be interpreted as "if I want to." Again, the idea of a warrant was to get a second or third opinion as to whether there is probable cause. When you put interpretation of probable cause to one man holding a handgun, nightstick, handcuffs, and a tazer, you are walking on very dangerous ground.

If the citizens of that state allow this to stand, they are complete fools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies