Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 12:25 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,780,810 times

Advertisements

How's this?

I've wondered why are companies keep building things like the Chevy Volt, Nissan Leaf, etc., that keep losing money had over fist even after government subsidies.

Turns out that the government REQUIRES them to build a certain minimum number of such loser cars, or be forbidden to sell ANY cars in the U.S.

Companies like Tesla are building such high-quality cars that people are willing to give them the purchase price ($65,000 or more), and are actually operating in the black.

Not many other electric-car manufacturers are. But they are being forced by the government to keep doing it.

Here we have a CEO honest enough to admit it. Needless to say, he's not an American. Americans know they can have their entire lives ruined for uttering the slightest non-PC comments in public, no matter how true.

-------------------------------------

Chicago Tribune

Fiat Chrysler CEO: Please don't buy Fiat 500e electric car

Eric Beech, Reuters
1:21 pm, May 21, 2014

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Fiat Chrysler Automobiles Chief Executive Sergio Marchionne has a request for potential buyers of the automaker's Fiat 500e electric car: Don't buy it. He's tired of losing money. "I hope you don't buy it because every time I sell one it costs me $14,000," he said to the audience at the Brookings Institution about the 500e. "I'm honest enough to tell you that."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 12:30 PM

46,944 posts, read 25,972,151 times
Elon Musk: "Build a better electric car, you dolt".

Old 05-22-2014, 12:31 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Turns out that the government REQUIRES them to build a certain minimum number of such loser cars, or be forbidden to sell ANY cars in the U.S.
is there a source for this claim?

the article is clear that the electric cars are losing money for Fiat, but it never says that the U.S. Government has mandated it. The car he is talking about, the 500e, is only sold in California.

FTA:

The state of California's zero-emission vehicle mandates and federal fuel efficiency requirements for 2025 were pushing the need for electric cars, but Marchionne said he would prefer the U.S. Department of Energy simply set targets and let the automakers achieve them in their own way.

It is difficult to imagine that you'd start a thread without reading the article, yet here we are.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:35 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
CAFE standards and now to mange getting past them to produce some model has been part of auto business for many years. If they had done it differently thent he big 3 with their dependency on large trucks and SUVs would have gone under long ago.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:57 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
I've wondered why are companies keep building things like the Chevy Volt, Nissan Leaf, etc., that keep losing money had over fist even after government subsidies.

Another inaccurate post by you. I've noticed this in almost all of your threads. What's keeping you from doing a bit more research rather than posting false information?

The Nissan Leaf is profitable.

Nissan to lift U.S. output of Leaf electric car as demand climbs | Reuters

The government does not require them to build "loser cars". The government only requires they maintain reasonable MPG across their entire fleet.

Toyota did this by building a profitable cars: Toyota Prius, Lexus GX 450h, Lexus RX 450h.

Nissan did this by building profitable cars: Nissan Leaf, Infiniti M Hybrid, Infiniti Q Hyrbrid.

Ford did this by building profitable cars: Ford Fusion Hybrid, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, etc.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:03 PM

1,070 posts, read 739,447 times
I agree, I can't stand people who don't read or comprehend the articles they post.
Little Acorn is quite notorious for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Another inaccurate post by you. I've noticed this in almost all of your threads. What's keeping you from doing a bit more research rather than posting false information?

The Nissan Leaf is profitable.

Nissan to lift U.S. output of Leaf electric car as demand climbs | Reuters

The government does not require them to build "loser cars". The government only requires they maintain reasonable MPG across their entire fleet.

Toyota did this by building a profitable cars: Toyota Prius, Lexus GX 450h, Lexus RX 450h.

Nissan did this by building profitable cars: Nissan Leaf, Infiniti M Hybrid, Infiniti Q Hyrbrid.

Ford did this by building profitable cars: Ford Fusion Hybrid, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, etc.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:27 PM

37,797 posts, read 40,996,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Elon Musk: "Build a better electric car, you dolt".
Why woild you do that when Obama promised under him, electricity costs would skyrocket?

Old 05-22-2014, 01:29 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Why woild you do that when Obama promised under him, electricity costs would skyrocket?
You're asking why a firm would build a profitable car instead of an unprofitable one?

Seriously?

Old 05-22-2014, 01:54 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
My electricity costs have gone down significantly under both, Bush, and Obama.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:58 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,905,230 times
Mine too. Most of our power in this state comes from natural gas and gas prices are at or near record lows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies