Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who's a hoax?
Climate Change 21 58.33%
The article 4 11.11%
There's no hoax 11 30.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 02:08 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,253,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Mother Nature doesn't have an agenda...that was the point.
Mother Nature is in it for the lulz. AGW camp predicts worse and worse hurricane seasons after Katrina, we get a bunch of relatively inactive hurricane seasons ever since. IPCC predicts doom and disaster, warming "pauses" for 15 years. Climatologists go out in a ship to document disappearing sea ice, and get caught in sea ice that didn't get the message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 09:55 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,807,861 times
How about we simply only trust the science when it comes to climate change? Is that so hard for all of us to do?

Old 05-23-2014, 10:13 PM

10,836 posts, read 14,957,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise TibetanMonkey View Post
Thirty million Americans just don't trust scientists warning of a "95% certainty" humans cause global warming. But they do trust Big Oil, the GOP, God. They honestly believe climate science is a dangerous fear-mongering liberal conspiracy.

Climate science is a hoax: Big Oil, GOP, God say so - Paul B. Farrell - MarketWatch

I thought it was more than 30 million. God must definitely must be opposing any action to climate change. I wonder how many millions think God is a hoax.
Where do you come up with the 97% figure?

Estimated 40 Percent of Scientists Doubt Manmade Global Warming

Myth of 98 Percent - Heartland Institute

So how did the scam artists come up with this 97%?

Report: There is no 97 percent global warming consensus

Quote:
This is misleading, writes Andrew Montford of GWPF, since the methodology of Cook’s report reveals that the researchers cast such a wide net to create the 97 percent consensus that it encompasses people who don’t believe in catastrophic global warming.

To be part of the “consensus” one need only agree that carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas and that human activities have warmed the planet “to some unspecified extent” — both of which are uncontroversial points.
To me this sounds exactly as if I asked one thousand astronomers was it possible, even given a one in 100 billion chance, that earth could be destroyed by an asteroid in 2015 I would probably end up with near 100% consensus that life could end in 2015 because of an asteroid strike.

One big huge scam.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:44 PM

32,833 posts, read 19,530,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
True.
Untrue

True,

yawn....more bash what you don't believe

I live on Long Island..this island was CREATED 22,000 years ago, when The Laurentide ice sheet advanced and reached maximum 22,000 years ago

Two lobes surged down the Connecticut and Hudson river valleys, sculpting the land and depositing the moraines and outwash that would become Long Island. Sea water was locked up in ice, lowering the sea level by 350 feet compared to today; from Cape Cod southward, the coastal plain jutted out 50 to 100 miles further than the present-day shoreline, almost to the edge of the continental shelf. The Hudson River sluiced through a deep gorge that cut through the plain and emptied into the Atlantic.

Glaciers literally created Long Island, and carved out the landscape we know today as the New York City region. Moraines, lakes and ponds, kettle holes, peat bogs, meltwater streams and valleys – all are relics of glacial topography. Between the receding ice front and terminal moraines, glacial meltwater formed huge lakes. By 12,000 years ago, the rising sea breached the morainal dams at several points, including the Verrazano Narrows. Hudson Lake released its waters to flow into the present-day channel of the Hudson River – a channel that had been established 120 million years earlier, when the continents split apart and the Palisades were exposed. The channel carved by the glacial Hudson River was drowned and is now an underwater canyon known to fisherman for its rich abundance of deep-water fish like tuna. As the sea continued to encroach, reaching its present level by a mere 6,000 years ago, the archipelago of New York City emerged.

The end of the last ice age was a time of extreme and rapid climatic change. Global warming accelerated 10,000 years ago, triggering rapid changes in plant and animal life. The changeover from spruce to pine forest in our region was possibly witnessed by Paleo-Indian hunters in a single lifetime. As pines thickly colonized the region, tundra disappeared – and with it the mammals that grazed on it. In our region, mastodon bones have been unearthed in peat deposits of the Harlem River and 22 feet below ground at Broadway and Dyckman Street in upper Manhattan; mastodon and mammoth teeth have been trawled by fishermen from undersea banks off the Atlantic coast, indicating these creatures roamed an outwash plain of mixed tundra (favored by mammoths) and black spruce swamps (browsed by mastodons).

btw....NOT man made

Old 05-24-2014, 12:07 AM

33,574 posts, read 37,198,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
yawn....more bash what you don't believe

I live on Long Island..this island was CREATED 22,000 years ago, when The Laurentide ice sheet advanced and reached maximum 22,000 years ago

Two lobes surged down the Connecticut and Hudson river valleys, sculpting the land and depositing the moraines and outwash that would become Long Island. Sea water was locked up in ice, lowering the sea level by 350 feet compared to today; from Cape Cod southward, the coastal plain jutted out 50 to 100 miles further than the present-day shoreline, almost to the edge of the continental shelf. The Hudson River sluiced through a deep gorge that cut through the plain and emptied into the Atlantic.

Glaciers literally created Long Island, and carved out the landscape we know today as the New York City region. Moraines, lakes and ponds, kettle holes, peat bogs, meltwater streams and valleys – all are relics of glacial topography. Between the receding ice front and terminal moraines, glacial meltwater formed huge lakes. By 12,000 years ago, the rising sea breached the morainal dams at several points, including the Verrazano Narrows. Hudson Lake released its waters to flow into the present-day channel of the Hudson River – a channel that had been established 120 million years earlier, when the continents split apart and the Palisades were exposed. The channel carved by the glacial Hudson River was drowned and is now an underwater canyon known to fisherman for its rich abundance of deep-water fish like tuna. As the sea continued to encroach, reaching its present level by a mere 6,000 years ago, the archipelago of New York City emerged.

The end of the last ice age was a time of extreme and rapid climatic change. Global warming accelerated 10,000 years ago, triggering rapid changes in plant and animal life. The changeover from spruce to pine forest in our region was possibly witnessed by Paleo-Indian hunters in a single lifetime. As pines thickly colonized the region, tundra disappeared – and with it the mammals that grazed on it. In our region, mastodon bones have been unearthed in peat deposits of the Harlem River and 22 feet below ground at Broadway and Dyckman Street in upper Manhattan; mastodon and mammoth teeth have been trawled by fishermen from undersea banks off the Atlantic coast, indicating these creatures roamed an outwash plain of mixed tundra (favored by mammoths) and black spruce swamps (browsed by mastodons).

btw....NOT man made
Why are you trying to give me a history lesson? This has absolutely nothing to do with anything I said in my post, or the topic for that matter, and why did you omit the link to the site you copied this from? Are you in the sauce?

Old 05-24-2014, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Where do you come up with the 97% figure?

Estimated 40 Percent of Scientists Doubt Manmade Global Warming

Myth of 98 Percent - Heartland Institute

So how did the scam artists come up with this 97%?

Report: There is no 97 percent global warming consensus

To me this sounds exactly as if I asked one thousand astronomers was it possible, even given a one in 100 billion chance, that earth could be destroyed by an asteroid in 2015 I would probably end up with near 100% consensus that life could end in 2015 because of an asteroid strike.

One big huge scam.
The 97% figure is the consensus of the scientific evidence pointing to AGW and nothing to do with opinion... Climate Change: Consensus

The author of your first link S Fred Singer is a paid shill and has been receiving $5,000 a month from the Heartland Institute

My virus program prevented me from opening your second link... Untrusted site.

Your third link was a report on a piece written by Andrew Montford, a chartered accountant and an honest skeptic (not a denier)

Quote:
“I believe that CO2, other things being equal, will make the planet warmer. The six million dollar question is how much warmer. I'm less of a sceptic than people think. My gut feeling is still sceptical but I don't believe it's beyond the realms of possibility that the AGW hypothesis might be correct." Andrew Montford
Please explain why you think AGW is a scam, and please provide a link to the evidence where you discovered that it is a hoax....You have failed to provide any in this post...

https://img.4plebs.org/boards/pol/im...6580730581.jpg

Old 05-24-2014, 12:33 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,022,089 times
Climate change is supported by science. The fact public opinion says climate change isn't true doesn't make it a hoax; all it means is that the majority of Americans reject the evidence. This is like someone saying gravity isn't true even though science has shown it is true. Just because they don't believe in gravity doesn't mean they won't fall to the ground when they jump off a building. Similarly, the fact the majority distrusts science doesn't make it a hoax and doesn't mean not acting is going to help.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Climate change is supported by science. The fact public opinion says climate change isn't true doesn't make it a hoax; all it means is that the majority of Americans reject the evidence. This is like someone saying gravity isn't true even though science has shown it is true. Just because they don't believe in gravity doesn't mean they won't fall to the ground when they jump off a building. Similarly, the fact the majority distrusts science doesn't make it a hoax and doesn't mean not acting is going to help.
Don't let these deniers fool you...The majority of Americans are not on their side... http://www.gallup.com/poll/168620/on....aspx?ref=more

Old 05-24-2014, 07:29 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,961,861 times
Default Care to EXPLAIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The better question is why did they stop saying global warming when that is exactly what is happening?....By the way, the term climate change has been used for more than a century.
How convenient. Let’s ignore Crater Glacier on Mount St. Helens, which is not only growing, but is now larger than it was prior to the 1980 eruption that entirely obliterated it.

How convenient. Let’s ignore the fact that the Nisqually Glacier on Mount Rainier is growing. Let’s ignore the most continuously monitored glacier in the northern hemisphere.

How convenient. Let’s ignore the fact that the glaciers are growing on Washington’s Mount Shuksan. (See Growing Glaciers)

How convenient. Let’s limit our discussion to the continental U.S. That way we can ignore the glaciers in Alaska that are advancing a third of a mile per year. (See Alaska glaciers advancing)

California glaciers growing | Ice Age Now

Old 05-24-2014, 07:38 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,922,658 times
What do the models predict for the future production levels of barley and hops under global warming?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies