Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 04:10 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,581,822 times

Advertisements

GOP lawmaker defends duct tape pipeline ‘fix’ in wildlife refuge: That’s ‘what America is’

A Republican congressman from Louisiana this week blasted an environmental activist who submitted photos of leaking oil pipes that had been repaired with garbage bags and duct tape.

At a Tuesday hearing of the House Natural Resources Subcommittee on Fisheries, Wildlife, Oceans and Insular Affairs, Noah Matson, vice president of Defenders of Wildlife, said that existing one-paragraph regulations were inadequate for protecting the National Wildlife Refuge System.

GOP lawmaker defends duct tape pipeline ‘fix’ in wildlife refuge: That’s ‘what America is’
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 04:31 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,461,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

A Republican congressman from Louisiana this week blasted an environmental activist who submitted photos of leaking oil pipes that had been repaired with garbage bags and duct tape.

At a Tuesday hearing of the House Natural Resources Subcommittee on Fisheries, Wildlife, Oceans and Insular Affairs, Noah Matson, vice president of Defenders of Wildlife, said that existing one-paragraph regulations were inadequate for protecting the National Wildlife Refuge System.

And of course the headline isn't that Vance McAllister did this, it's "GOP lawmaker" did this.

Do you want the entire Democrat party to be represented by Hank Johnson and his questions about Guam tipping over? How about Shirley Jackson Lee and her wondering if she could see pictures of the flag the astronauts planted on Mars?

Old 05-23-2014, 08:28 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,419 times
You can fix anything with duct tape. I duct taped my wind shield wiper after I broke it when it was froze to the shield. The original duct tape is still holding the wiper and here we are in May. It has lasted through snow, ice, and rain and still works great. I can see where duct tape and plastic could stop a leak.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:15 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,827,584 times
i have seen duct tap hold race car bodies together at speeds over 200 miles per hour. heck watch the 78(?) daytona 500 and you will see that late in the race bobby allisons front bumper was held in place on the race car with duct tape.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:56 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,727,909 times
a combination of electrical and Teflon tape works better than quack tape, electrical tape,Teflon tapes does not break down in the sun like quack tape

Old 05-23-2014, 02:42 PM

58,996 posts, read 27,280,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

You know the dems are getting desperate when they "report" on things like this!

They have to counter, I found out about it in the newspaper!"

Old 05-23-2014, 02:47 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,543,034 times
And the oil defenders come out in force. Forget the environment, we needs our oil!

Old 05-23-2014, 02:49 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,185,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
You can fix anything with duct tape. I duct taped my wind shield wiper after I broke it when it was froze to the shield. The original duct tape is still holding the wiper and here we are in May. It has lasted through snow, ice, and rain and still works great. I can see where duct tape and plastic could stop a leak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i have seen duct tap hold race car bodies together at speeds over 200 miles per hour. heck watch the 78(?) daytona 500 and you will see that late in the race bobby allisons front bumper was held in place on the race car with duct tape.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
a combination of electrical and Teflon tape works better than quack tape, electrical tape,Teflon tapes does not break down in the sun like quack tape
Wow. Just...incredible.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:56 PM

33,527 posts, read 37,128,036 times
Duct tape, the redneck's secret weapon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMV-QuZCEuE

Old 05-23-2014, 03:31 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,354,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
And of course the headline isn't that Vance McAllister did this, it's "GOP lawmaker" did this.

Do you want the entire Democrat party to be represented by Hank Johnson and his questions about Guam tipping over? How about Shirley Jackson Lee and her wondering if she could see pictures of the flag the astronauts planted on Mars?
My favorite was Rep. Carolyn McCarthy who had proposed legislation to ban (among other things) 'barrel shrouds' from guns. When asked what a barrel shroud was, she said it was a 'shoulder thing that goes up.'

When you don't know what the words you are saying even mean, it's better to shut up.

I didn't read the link due to ads, but I'm guessing that the duct tape was a temporary emergency fix of a minor leak, until they could get a crew out to properly fix it. It's not in the oil company's interest to have their product leaking out onto the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies