Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 05:10 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,755,703 times

Advertisements

before all of the pot legalization, all we heard from the pro pot crowd was how great hemp was. how if it were to be legalized, our cars would be running on it. now you hear nothing about it. is it the cotton lobby, or was hemp just a front for potheads to further their agenda?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 06:14 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
before all of the pot legalization, all we heard from the pro pot crowd was how great hemp was. how if it were to be legalized, our cars would be running on it. now you hear nothing about it. is it the cotton lobby, or was hemp just a front for potheads to further their agenda?

use your Google fingers to find out just how useful hemp really is

Old 05-24-2014, 06:19 AM

45,235 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
That agenda being one of less government and more freedom.
So is it the notion of freedom that irks you, or the fact that hemp hasn't solved the worlds problems on your timetable yet?

For the record, I dont do pot, but its none of my business if someone else wants to.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
use your Google fingers to find out just how useful hemp really is
that wasn't the issue. I asked what happened to all of the people lobbying for hemp. you don't hear about it anymore. you only hear about weed.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
That agenda being one of less government and more freedom.
So is it the notion of freedom that irks you, or the fact that hemp hasn't solved the worlds problems on your timetable yet?

For the record, I dont do pot, but its none of my business if someone else wants to.
I could care less about pot. I think crack and heroin should be legal. I am asking why you don't hear anything about hemp now that weed is becoming legal. hemp used to be used as sort of a backdoor way to legalize weed, but now that weed is becoming legal, it's like hemp no longer exists.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:58 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,981,966 times
IMO, it is a matter of sensational headlines.
Weed is sensational. Fiber isn't.
Besides, IIRC, the plants are actually somewhat different. There isn't as much THC in the plant used for fiber.
Hemp is used a lot in handicrafts. I see it frequently at craft fairs and craft stores.
There simply isn't anything exciting about it anymore.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:20 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
IMO, it is a matter of sensational headlines.
Weed is sensational. Fiber isn't.
Besides, IIRC, the plants are actually somewhat different. There isn't as much THC in the plant used for fiber.
Hemp is used a lot in handicrafts. I see it frequently at craft fairs and craft stores.
There simply isn't anything exciting about it anymore.
Actually, there are lots of people who are excited by the idea of growing hemp and are still lobbying to make that happen. It's an amazingly useful plant and anyone who likes useful plants would want to grow it if it was legal. Ironically, the laws regulating/legalizing marijuana do nothing to help would-be hemp growers. It's not their fault that everyone is focussed on marijuana.

No one who knows anything about cannabis would smoke hemp to get high. So no, the move to legalize hemp was not a cover for potheads who envisioned growing acres of pot. Although a lot of people thought if hemp was legalized, eventually marijuana would follow. It's just happening in reverse order.

Just realized I should clarify my terms - Cannabis sativa and C. indica are the species names of the plant under discussion. Some varieties of both have high THC content, which are known as marijuana, pot, dope, reefer, and many other names, and are smoked to get high. Hemp varieties have little or no THC content and are grown for their fiber and oil. When the feds decided to make marijuana a Schedule 1 drug, they included all varieties of Cannabis, even though no one thought hemp varieties were a drug problem. It's just that they look alike, makes it harder for LEO to know what they're dealing with.

Last edited by jacqueg; 05-24-2014 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: Clear up typos and grammar.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:27 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Legal to grow hemp in Kentucky now.

Many farmers are skidish to grow it because they worry about someone sneaking in some cannabis sativa. One or two snuck in plants could cost you the farm. Literally

Old 05-24-2014, 10:56 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
I agree with Reraven about the sensationalism part.

As far as fiber hemp and medicinal grade hemp being different plants, they are merely varieties. Like a fruitless pear tree is still a pear tree, genetically, it has just been bred to reduce the amount of fruit to virually nothing. Like the fiber variety of hemp.

I will also agree that while many people making the hemp argument were personally more invested in medical grade cannabis, it doesn't detract from the truth about the utility of hemp or the ridiculousness of its prohibition regardless of the legal status of the drug.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:59 AM

13,305 posts, read 7,875,111 times
Hemp drowned in the swimming pool, while the parents were high.

Hemp is the organic constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies