Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2014, 03:57 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,783,076 times

Advertisements

It wouldn't surprise me if this were true-- the US isn't like Denmark where people actually care about each other.
Taxation only works as it should if it's universal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 03:58 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,755,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I know people who live in MA and NY and come down to no-income-tax FL to visit every year. When I ask them why they don't move down permanently, they say it is because there are not jobs where they can make over 200k per year as they can in their own states. Makes sense. If you are making hundreds of thousands of $$, you aren't going to move to save on property taxes. Also some people want to live where they are happy and taxes are not part of the equation.
Maybe some but not everyone. I don't believe anyone said everyone. People have other reasons for staying but it IS part of the equation.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if this were true-- the US isn't like Denmark where people actually care about each other.
Taxation only works as it should if it's universal.
If you think people in Denmark are so much more caring you should move there. And as you've been told before, I don't care how much people care, there is a point where they feel abused and taken advantage of. We have passed that point.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:03 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
If people are too lazy, stupid, and unmotivated to plan and adjust their lives that they need to pack up and move to another state based primarily on tax rates I say 'good riddance'. Good luck to the folks of the states that get these dinosaurs. Not exactly innovators and/or critical thinkers you're getting for neighbors.

When there is no one left to tax and State governments go deeper in debt, guess what is going to happen to all the people left in the States, with income tax.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
When there is no one left to tax and State governments go deeper in debt, guess what is going to happen to all the people left in the States, with income tax.
Aren't we seeing an example of that in one of our cities?

Old 05-26-2014, 04:27 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,659,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
When Texas has 80 million people, will you guys be happy?
No, because 80 million people in Texas needs a tremendous demand on resources and a much higher cost of living. It will be interesting to see how high the cost of water would be at 80 million people, assuming there is a dependable source for it. At least not all that many are moving to Kansas and Oklahoma, so hopefully the cost of living will continue low there.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:32 PM

Companies moving to lower tax countries. People moving from high tax states to low tax states. And I doubt liberals will learn. Their answer is to raise taxes more lol

Old 05-26-2014, 05:02 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,780,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
False, my wife and I are fleeing New Jersey for Oregon because that is where our family roots are. People move for jobs, retirement, and family reasons before moving for tax reasons.
As the baby boom ages, some will buy the 2 br condo in a better climate and dine on early bird specials.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:24 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Companies moving to lower tax countries. People moving from high tax states to low tax states. And I doubt liberals will learn. Their answer is to raise taxes more lol
So you are saying only lower tax states are seeing job growth? If you are, that would be a false claim.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:25 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,783,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
If you think people in Denmark are so much more caring you should move there. And as you've been told before, I don't care how much people care, there is a point where they feel abused and taken advantage of. We have passed that point.
America has persecution complexes galore as well... and patriotism, which are actually two key elements of fascism.

And they are more caring in Denmark.
Also better educated.
And happier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies