Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 11:30 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,413,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
That's quite humorous since it's basically the exact opposite of what actually takes place.

Take a look in places like the Houston forum for example, it's pages and pages of young, educated, single adults looking for advice on where to move and most are moving from high tax liberal run states like CA. The "dinosaurs" are staying in high tax states because they take advantage of the programs that those high taxes pay for.
"Dinosaurs" can mean two groups:

1. The older folks who didn't know how to plan and have simply complained for 30 years because life changes were just too much. Age Dinosaurs. California forum is full of them. It never dawned on these people that the government is not your friend. Instead of looking at the changes and capitalizing on the boom (real estate, learning Spanish instead of being deathly afraid of Mexicans) they sat in their paid-for homes, soaked up the sun, and expected a population explosion that lasted decades would have no impact on infrastructure. American pie fools.

2. Younger folks who can't adapt (as in the theory dinosaurs couldn't) or have planned so poorly in their young lives that tax rates are going to define where they live in their prime years. They have massive student loan debt, but still want their McMansion and to drive their SUV (and Prius for that matter).

I know plenty of folks in their mid 20s to mid 30s who refuse to leave my native Rust Belt unless it's for Florida or Texas. These are the people who are so obsessed with COL because they overspent on college (which in reality means they went to college cuz it's so damn expensive regardless of your income/profession) yet still want to live with the picket fence and own gobbles of material possessions.

In short, these young people are EXACTLY like the original Californians who came pre 1980ish (debatable on year). In 30 years when the boom is over they'll sit on their lazy, unmotivated, unadaptable butts wishing for yesterday. They'll blame all their ills on government (cuz they thought it was their friend), immigrants, and "liberals".

Texas is booming...fine and cool. Don't just move there and feast off the fat. Pay attention, adapt, educate for the future.

But it won't happen. And in 30 years Texas will be the "new California" in terms of financial realities.

Then where will the bums move? Nebraska?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 11:33 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,784,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
False, my wife and I are fleeing New Jersey for Oregon because that is where our family roots are. People move for jobs, retirement, and family reasons before moving for tax reasons.
I don't think he said EVERYONE who moves does so because of taxes. But his point remains quite true. MANY people do move to lower their cost of living, including their taxes. And it's quite often the wealthy people who move first because of taxes. Tiger Woods is a very good example.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:36 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,784,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
But it won't happen. And in 30 years Texas will be the "new California" in terms of financial realities.

"Bums"? Maybe the "Bums" will stay in the rust belt.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:38 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,619,694 times
Quote:
"Dinosaurs" can mean two groups:

1. The older folks who didn't know how to plan and have simply complained for 30 years because life changes were just too much. Age Dinosaurs. California forum is full of them. It never dawned on these people that the government is not your friend. Instead of looking at the changes and capitalizing on the boom (real estate, learning Spanish instead of being deathly afraid of Mexicans) they sat in their paid-for homes, soaked up the sun, and expected a population explosion that lasted decades would have no impact on infrastructure. American pie fools.

2. Younger folks who can't adapt (as in the theory dinosaurs couldn't) or have planned so poorly in their young lives that tax rates are going to define where they live in their prime years. They have massive student loan debt, but still want their McMansion and to drive their SUV (and Prius for that matter).

I know plenty of folks in their mid 20s to mid 30s who refuse to leave my native Rust Belt unless it's for Florida or Texas. These are the people who are so obsessed with COL because they overspent on college (which in reality means they went to college cuz it's so damn expensive regardless of your income/profession) yet still want to live with the picket fence and own gobbles of material possessions.

In short, these young people are EXACTLY like the original Californians who came pre 1980ish (debatable on year). In 30 years when the boom is over they'll sit on their lazy, unmotivated, unadaptable butts wishing for yesterday. They'll blame all their ills on government (cuz they thought it was their friend), immigrants, and "liberals".

Texas is booming...fine and cool. Don't just move their and feast off the fat. Pay attention, adapt, educate for the future.

Because of the way Texas has set up their taxing it will be city by city.
And Austin is already there with people being priced out of their homes due to skyrocketing property taxes.

When I moved to the area in 1996 I was looking at homes in the $150-180K range.
You can't find that today in Austin anywhere. Folks in the Austin forum are talking about $400K and up now.

There is no state tax so the burden can't be "spread around" thankfully.
Bubbles will remain local and local taxes will skyrocket to cover the costs of the services everyone is demanding.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:38 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,413,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I don't think he said EVERYONE who moves does so because of taxes. But his point remains quite true. MANY people do move to lower their cost of living, including their taxes. And it's quite often the wealthy people who move first because of taxes. Tiger Woods is a very good example.
Anyone who has a net worth of $500 million isn't a good example of how taxes play a role in the life of John and Jane Doe.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:44 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,251,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
People move for lots of reason, taxes aren't that high on the list.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Anyone who has a net worth of $500 million isn't a good example of how taxes play a role in the life of John and Jane Doe.
Taxes can play a big role of it's a lot of nickel and diming by various city, county, state and then fed.
You may be making a big salary on paper but after everyone takes their chunk you're left holding a much smaller amount.

The early transplants out of CA that I met and talked to were families that were being squeezed.
There was a big influx of transplants into my son's HS because of a subdivision that was just built.
They couldn't afford to move up to bigger homes, questionable school policies, etc.
They just couldn't afford the lifestyle they wanted.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:48 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,396,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'm still shocked that so many left California and moved to Texas.
Two politically extreme states yet they came and came and came and are still coming !
LOL... I wonder how many of those Californian migrants are Democrats? You better start carding them at the border!

Anyway, latest Census stats I saw, 60,000 Californians moved to Texas last year, while 43,000 Texans moved to California. Hardly a tidal wave.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:50 AM

45,556 posts, read 60,809,385 times
Quote:
You are correct:

In Maryland, Higher Taxes Chase Out Rich: Study

Tax flight: Millions lost as wealthier residents leave Maryland - CapitalGazette.com: Annapolis

Old 05-26-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Can you post link to that list ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies