Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2014, 10:35 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,954 times

Advertisements

I was neutral until I saw pictures of the Taliban that were released. It's not like they will be going back home working for Microsoft. These animals will be looked at as heros and will live the rest of their worthless lives hellbent on destroying America.
Can anybody explain why this US prisoners father had a Taliban beard and was speaking afghani / terrorist in a press conference with the President of our country?

Old 06-01-2014, 10:47 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
I was neutral until I saw pictures of the Taliban that were released. It's not like they will be going back home working for Microsoft. These animals will be looked at as heros and will live the rest of their worthless lives hellbent on destroying America.
Can anybody explain why this US prisoners father had a Taliban beard and was speaking afghani / terrorist in a press conference with the President of our country?
Pretty creepy if you ask me.
And the deleted tweet is very disturbing as well.

We'll never know exactly what the story is.
It's a complete secret held by the WH.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:48 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,658,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
When his son was shown as captured, the father swore not to shave until his son was released. That's a 5 year beard. The father learned the language so he could appeal to his son's captors in their own language and perhaps gain more credibility.

Seems like a very concerned father, willing to do whatever it takes to win the release of his son.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
When his son was shown as captured, the father swore not to shave until his son was released. That's a 5 year beard. The father learned the language so he could appeal to his son's captors in their own language and perhaps gain more credibility.

Seems like a very concerned father, willing to do whatever it takes to win the release of his son.
But praising Allah after the fact ?

And this tweet ? : (once tweeted it remains in the internet cache even if you delete it)

POW dad’s bizarre deleted tweet raises questions about Obama’s prisoner swap - BizPac Review
I am still working to free all Guantanamo prisoners. God will repay for the death of every Afghan child, ameen!—
Robert Bergdahl

Old 06-01-2014, 11:01 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,265,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
he is a deserter and not a hero .. good men died because of him..
he was a PFC btw, why is he now some higher rank? .. He returns looking like a taliban with a shaggy beard .. cant tell me he didnt have time to shave and at least look like a military man.. no he comes home with a look that suggests American Taliban jihadist. I think our nation made a huge mistake.
there should be no honor in his failure to his unit and his nation. he deserted the unit and went to join the Taliban.. ..
Some details about your post from a comment in Hagel: Captive's life was in danger

Quote:
...From someone who was there: "We were at OP Mest, Paktika Province, Afghanistan. It was a small outpost where B Co 1-501st INF (Airbone) ran operations out of, just an Infantry platoon and ANA counterparts there. The place was an Afghan graveyard. Bergdahl had been acting a little strange, telling people he wanted to "walk the earth" and kept a little journal talking about how he was meant for better things. No one thought anything about it. He was a little “out there”. Next morning he's gone. We search everywhere, and can't find him. He left his weapon, his kit, and other sensitive items. He only took some water, a compass and a knife. We find some afghan kids shortly after who saw an american walking north asking about where the taliban are. We get hits on our voice intercepter that Taliban has him, and we were close. We come to realize that the kid deserted his post, snuck out of camp and sought out Taliban… to join them. We were in a defensive position at OP Mest, where your focus is to keep people out. He knew where the blind spots were to slip out and that's what he did. It was supposed to be a 4-day mission but turned into several months of active searching. Everyone was spun up to find this guy. News outlets all over the country were putting out false information. It was hard to see, especially when we knew the truth about what happened and we lost good men trying to find him. PFC Matthew Michael Martinek, Staff Sgt. Kurt Robert Curtiss, SSG Clayton Bowen, PFC Morris Walker, SSG Michael Murphrey, 2LT Darryn Andrews, were all KIA from our unit who died looking for Bergdahl. Many others from various units were wounded or killed while actively looking for Bergdahl. Fighting Increased. IEDs and enemy ambushes increased. The Taliban knew that we were looking for him in high numbers and our movements were predictable. Because of Bergdahl, more men were out in danger, and more attacks on friendly camps and positions were conducted while we were out looking for him. His actions impacted the region more than anyone wants to admit. There is also no way to know what he told the Taliban: Our movements, locations, tactics, weak points on vehicles and other things for the enemy to exploit are just a few possibilities. The Government knows full well that he deserted. It looks bad and is a good propaganda piece for the Taliban. They refuse to acknowledge it. Hell they even promoted him to Sergeant which makes me sick. I feel for his family who only want their son/brother back. They don’t know the truth, or refuse to acknowledge it as well. What he did affected his family and his whole town back home, who don’t know the truth. Either way what matters is that good men died because of him. He has been lying on all those Taliban videos about everything since his “capture”. If he ever returns, he should be tried under the UCMJ for being a deserter and judged for what he did. Bergdahl is not a hero, he is not a soldier or an Infantryman. He failed his brothers. Now, sons and daughters are growing up without their fathers who died looking for him and he will have to face that truth someday."

I wonder if the press will write about this. So far they are more focused on bringing an American soldier home and just hinting about the illegality of not notifying congress 30 days in advance. The administration (Susan Rice (again?!) and Chuck Hagel) are claiming his life was in danger. Sure, Bergdahl will vouch for it but it is going to require a cover-up of a lot more people to see that story through. I just don't buy it. Mostly because of the administration's abysmal record of lying.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:03 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,604,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
After being help nearly 5 years in an exchange of Gitmo Prisoners ..

U.S. soldier held in Afghanistan is released - CNN.com
Good. Leave no man behind. Israel also swaps prisoners of war routinely.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:05 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,901,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
He'll do anything to appease his Muslims -- and interesting how he used a deserter to treat like a hero.
Guess your choice was to just let him rot and die in the hands of his captors. After 5 years, that seemed to be the only other choice.
How do you know he was a deserter, are you privy to info the rest of us are not?

Old 06-01-2014, 11:07 AM

15,626 posts, read 10,382,405 times
Best response I've seen, written in Washington Post comments section, by MtSky:

"A prisoner exchange of this sort would only make sense if the war was over, when those senior Taliban released would not be able ultimately to go back to the fight. This soldier's comrades risked their lives --- indeed, some may have given their lives --- to capture these Taliban and take them out of the fight. It was judged worth lives to do so, and now that sacrifice is partially undone. One can only suspect that, for our President, this makes sense because he considers the war in effect "over," so that the prospect of these dangerous men returning to wage war in Afghanistan is a matter of indifference --- but the war is not over even for us, and certainly not for our allies.

But even if it were not for this risk, the message is a very bad one. I want to believe that the President's intentions are good --- and that he sees this as a way of bringing one of our own home, leaving none behind. Closure of a sorts, I suppose. Unfortunately, it also sends the signal to the Taliban, etc. that they may reasonably hope that by kidnapping an American (soldier or otherwise) they will be able to free their own. There is a reason that we have resisted doing this for 5 years, painful as it has been: It puts more American soldiers and civilians lives at risk.

I am glad to celebrate this young man's freedom, but I fear the price will prove very high."

Old 06-01-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
Some details about your post from a comment in Hagel: Captive's life was in danger

I wonder if the press will write about this. So far they are more focused on bringing an American soldier home and just hinting about the illegality of not notifying congress 30 days in advance. The administration (Susan Rice (again?!) and Chuck Hagel) are claiming his life was in danger. Sure, Bergdahl will vouch for it but it is going to require a cover-up of a lot more people to see that story through. I just don't buy it. Mostly because of the administration's abysmal record of lying.
His last correspondence to his parents in 2009 showed his disgust for what America was doing over there.

Best read it quick before it gets "disappeared".

"Last email to parents" section and there's a link to the longer Rolling Stone article.

Bowe Bergdahl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-01-2014, 11:10 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,876,449 times
Just another illegal act by the communist in the White House. He accomplished a few things, he dumped a couple more terrorists back into the pool of killers who want Americans dead, he reduced the population of Gbay, he took some of the heat off of his catastrophic VA mess, and he thinks it makes him look like a hero.
View it however you wish, the man is a traitor to our country and fools elected him to the highest office.. You voted for the destruction of America..!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies