Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2014, 12:35 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,675,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrysda View Post
Because they are locked up and not able to run to a doctor or hospital??? Good grief!
Yes, that must be the reason. Because they are locked up. LOL.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:37 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,029,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
If health care isn't a right, why is it required by law that prisoners get treatment? Couldn't we just let them go without treatment and die?
I always wondered that myself. But it would be considered cruel and unusual punishment
not to treat them.

So I guess if you are a murderer we can't be cruel, but if you are a law abiding
middle class person who can't afford your radiation treatments, your tough out
of luck

Old 06-03-2014, 12:42 PM

18,850 posts, read 8,500,721 times
Quote:
If you don't think tort reform is critical to good business pricing, then tell that to the people who live in Texas and don't have to put up with crap lawyers, juries and stupidity of frivolous lawsuits. Tort reform makes a tremendous difference.
Tort reforms had done what with medical costs in TX?

Old 06-03-2014, 12:44 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,029,094 times
Quote:
Because they are locked up and not able to run to a doctor or hospital??? Good grief!
They have docs & hospitals in the prison system.

Ever hear of the US Medical Center for Federal Prisoners.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:52 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,450,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I agree with you that people who are decent human beings should help those people. I also don't believe that threatening people with force or violence in order to do so is being a decent human being. If there is someone injured on the side of the road and nobody is helping, I agree that is terrible. I also think it's terrible if I took out a gun and said "You all need to help this man or else!" It's not moral to force others to do anything against their will, even if the result is good.

So in those situations, the moral thing would be to help them yourself as much as possible, ask others to assist you, and find a doctor that will voluntarily care for their medical issues. If the doctor refuses you could say they are an awful human being, but that doesn't give anyone the right to overpower them and FORCE them to help. In my experience, most doctors are very willing to make personal sacrifices for patients, so I think people are a bit too cynical when they think nobody will do anything if they aren't forced to do it.
That's what we did. It's called "Obamacare" and Medicare and Medicaid and the VA.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
So? If it's not a right, how is it government's responsibility? Didn't they get themselves put in jail? They freely made the choice to commit crimes. If you want to be able to go to a hospital don't be a criminal. Right?

Old 06-03-2014, 12:59 PM

262 posts, read 155,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
That's what we did. It's called "Obamacare" and Medicare and Medicaid and the VA.

Medicare is an insurance paid for by individuals having the premium withheld from their earnings and is totally different than Obamacare and Medicaid.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Medicare is an insurance paid for by individuals having the premium withheld from their earnings and is totally different than Obamacare and Medicaid.
How is it different? Obamacare is a law that requires you to buy insurance. Medicaid is insurance just like Medicare. Everybody who gets a paycheck pays for it. True, children don't get paid so they don't contribute to Medicaid, but that's because we don't allow kids to work in this country.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:10 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,675,417 times
Quote:
No, EVERYONE pays into Medicare.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:48 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,659,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I agree with you that people who are decent human beings should help those people. I also don't believe that threatening people with force or violence in order to do so is being a decent human being. If there is someone injured on the side of the road and nobody is helping, I agree that is terrible. I also think it's terrible if I took out a gun and said "You all need to help this man or else!" It's not moral to force others to do anything against their will, even if the result is good.

So in those situations, the moral thing would be to help them yourself as much as possible, ask others to assist you, and find a doctor that will voluntarily care for their medical issues. If the doctor refuses you could say they are an awful human being, but that doesn't give anyone the right to overpower them and FORCE them to help. In my experience, most doctors are very willing to make personal sacrifices for patients, so I think people are a bit too cynical when they think nobody will do anything if they aren't forced to do it.
Our constitution says for government "to insure domestic tranquility" and "promote the general welfare"

It is also our governments job to help those people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies