Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2014, 10:10 PM

709 posts, read 657,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I don't live in a neighborhood. How do you know criminals aren't doing this or that those MILITIA boys aren't doing it. Why aren't you doing it? Are you in the know to criminal actions?

Just as i posted it is someone close to you that turns you in. Overall that is.

What is to stop sleeper terrorists from building up a few arms and then using them on citizens?

Answer that.
And what is another law going to do about that? People who have no hesitation to kill and maim others aren't suddenly going to give up because it's now illegal to manufacture their own firearms. Moreover, the vast majority of AUSA's and DA's/SA's won't prosecute for the added crime.

One final point: not too many criminals I've ever run into had the ingenuity, talent, or materials and equipment to built a functioning firearm. Hell, I would have a rough go of it beyond some Saturday night special type of thing, and I have a lathe and vertical mill in my garage!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 07:18 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,258,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rso092 View Post
And what is another law going to do about that? People who have no hesitation to kill and maim others aren't suddenly going to give up because it's now illegal to manufacture their own firearms. Moreover, the vast majority of AUSA's and DA's/SA's won't prosecute for the added crime.

One final point: not too many criminals I've ever run into had the ingenuity, talent, or materials and equipment to built a functioning firearm. Hell, I would have a rough go of it beyond some Saturday night special type of thing, and I have a lathe and vertical mill in my garage!
Ikeep reading that criminals will get guns no matter what and now i read that they wouldn't use this avenue at all. This is an avenue for a number gun to gt into the hands of bad people. Doesn't matter that a responsible gun owner built it, what matters is it could be stolen and used in crimes and we need to know where that gun came from. May be the only best chance to get it back before a major crime or shooting.

I remember one of the first school shootings that was in Arkansas. A 10 YR OLD BOY got into Gramps gun safe after watching him do the combination on the safe..

Old 06-06-2014, 07:57 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,918,623 times
Quote:
Ikeep reading that criminals will get guns no matter what and now i read that they wouldn't use this avenue at all. This is an avenue for a number gun to gt into the hands of bad people. Doesn't matter that a responsible gun owner built it, what matters is it could be stolen and used in crimes and we need to know where that gun came from. May be the only best chance to get it back before a major crime or shooting.

I remember one of the first school shootings that was in Arkansas. A 10 YR OLD BOY got into Gramps gun safe after watching him do the combination on the safe..
I don't understand. Once stolen, it will be in the hands of a criminal. Serial number does not matter. How would you get it back before a major crime or shooting happened with or without a serial number? The only people that will check on a serial number will be the police. Once that happens, it is out of the hands of the criminal.

Westside Middle School is the one I assume you are talking about. But the first? Not even close. Not even in Arkansas. There was one earlier in the school year. But school shootings in the US go back to 1764 - List of school shootings in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-06-2014, 08:05 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,836,913 times
Quote:

Criminals will always be able to get guns, criminals are also lazy and uneducated, that is why they are criminals. It takes skill and equipment to manufactor the frame and knowledge of the weapon platform to even assemble the gun. Plus one will usually spend more money making their own gun then buying the same gun from a dealer.

And if a criminal cannot pass a background check they will just have their g/f or someone they know without a record buy it for them knowing that straw purchases are never prosecuted which has been confirmed by Joe Biden.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:26 AM

11,149 posts, read 10,729,610 times
Quote:

Why would criminals use an avenue that is expensive and difficult which results in a firearm which is difficult to conceal? Especially when instead, they could easily make a smaller, more concealable firearm for a fraction of the cost?

I made my own black powder handgun when I was 16 out of scrap material on my family farm, merely because I wanted to see if I could do it. It was single shot, and with an unrifled barrel it wasn't accurate enough for distance shooting, but at close range and loaded with half a dozen buckshot it would have been highly effective for doing serious harm to an individual. I've also made zip guns, slide guns, boomsticks, homemade crossbows, and cannons. Every one of them was made for a fraction of the price that one of these AK-47s would have cost, and every one of them (with the possible exception of the cannon which weighed about 60 pounds) would have been adequate for committing a crime had I chosen to do so.

Criminals will always get firearms if they are determined to get them, but it's highly doubtful that they will be investing in a machine shop and putting in the effort to do something along these lines. If they wanted to work that hard, they wouldn't be criminals.

If you want an example of the type of firearm that a criminal would be more likely to make in the event that the anti-gun crowd gets their wish and manages to actually ban firearms, here's a video showing a very simple boomstick type shotgun that probably cost around $25 to fabricate. Of course, the chances of anyone ever having to manufacture something like this in order to commit a crime is somewhere between nil and none, since the black market would supply plenty of factory-made weapons to the criminal underworld.

Manufacturing a homemade firearm requires nothing more than a basic knowledge of physics and a bit of ingenuity. Will it be as effective as an AK-47? Probably not, but it will be adequate for the purpose of committing a robbery, a hold-up, or a murder.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
I don't understand. Once stolen, it will be in the hands of a criminal. Serial number does not matter. How would you get it back before a major crime or shooting happened with or without a serial number? The only people that will check on a serial number will be the police. Once that happens, it is out of the hands of the criminal.

Westside Middle School is the one I assume you are talking about. But the first? Not even close. Not even in Arkansas. There was one earlier in the school year. But school shootings in the US go back to 1764 - List of school shootings in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tom the machinist makes him a rifle. He does put a serial number on it. A crook breaks in and steals the rifle,plus other guns as well. Crook use rifle to rob store. Crook abandons stolen car and rifle. Cops find same. Look at serial number and go see Joe the Machinist. They ask joe who can you point a finger at? Joe says i think it is that bunch down the street and they are a bunch of met heads. Cops investigate the bunch down the street and sure enough a guy sitting in the living room is a spitting image of the guy that committed the robbery and stole the car., plus he has in his possession in the bedroom the other stolen guns.

Just an easy example.of how this can easily go down.

No need to tear apart my analogy because it is a made up scenario.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post

I am unsure of the date. i thought it was one of the first in the last 20 years or so. The kid did get into his gramps safe and he and another kid opened fire from the hillside as they went to recess etc.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:45 AM

46,328 posts, read 27,171,704 times
Quote:
Just apply common sense is all you have to do.
Typical answer....you raised heck when your question was not answered....then you give a B.S. answer....cause you cannot give a truthful answer...figures....

So using your logic....its common sense they don't. .see how that works....

Old 06-06-2014, 08:48 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,836,913 times
Quote:
Tom the machinist makes him a rifle. He does put a serial number on it. A crook breaks in and steals the rifle,plus other guns as well. Crook use rifle to rob store. Crook abandons stolen car and rifle. Cops find same. Look at serial number and go see Joe the Machinist. They ask joe who can you point a finger at? Joe says i think it is that bunch down the street and they are a bunch of met heads. Cops investigate the bunch down the street and sure enough a guy sitting in the living room is a spitting image of the guy that committed the robbery and stole the car., plus he has in his possession in the bedroom the other stolen guns.

Just an easy example.of how this can easily go down.

No need to tear apart my analogy because it is a made up scenario.
Lol, I've never seen someone try so hard

Old 06-06-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsunknown View Post
How about this nut finises the story, Guys down the street come back one night and kill joe for spilling his guts to the cops. Joe has no guns because he was waiting for some nut job gun law to get his new guns to protect himself and his family.
All joe has to do is go to a gun store and buy more.

So are you saying that you would be scard to call the cops and say your guns have been stolen? Poor analogy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies