Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 09:16 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,430,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
You don't think that the average full time fast food worker makes enough money to afford a room to rent and groceries? I don't think that anyone would go hungry by working full time at minimum wage but they would not be able to afford a "middle class lifestyle" The premise of this thread asks, should people expect a middle class lifestyle since they work full time?
In expensive areas, HELL no. If you need subsidized housing and food stamps to live, you don't make enough money. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It has never been the case that working full time - middle class. I grew up around plenty of working people who were not middle class. They did not receive assistance, just lived within means. There have always been poor working people, I don't know why anyone would think otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
No, you deserve a CHANCE at a promotion and a raise IF you deserve it.
And if you keep doing that then maybe by the time your 30 or so you will make enough to live a middle class lifestyle.

The problem is everyone thinks they deserve it all now, with no experience or training or putting in your time to learn a trade like everyone else had to.
Neither of you answered my question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
So let me guess... If I'm poor, and I bust my hump all day, 40 hours per week, 2,080 hours per year making you burgers, I deserve to still be hungry?
If I work every day, do I deserve to be hungry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 09:18 AM

61,254 posts, read 87,697,793 times
Ditto I agree with sour you need skills but you don't have to work in this country to use them and yes you can make good money but maybe not here

Old 06-04-2014, 09:20 AM

1,439 posts, read 784,914 times
It's no surprise that the decline of unions has also led to the decline of the middle class lifestyle for non-college educated workers.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:23 AM

19,882 posts, read 12,406,668 times
Quote:
So let me guess... If I'm poor, and I bust my hump all day, 40 hours per week, 2,080 hours per year making you burgers, I deserve to still be hungry?

YES! Because you work at a food joint and there is ALWAYS left over food for you to eat for FREE. No one working at a restaurant goes hungry, unless they want to.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:27 AM

26,659 posts, read 13,852,506 times
Quote:
In expensive areas, HELL no. If you need subsidized housing and food stamps to live, you don't make enough money. Period.
You might have to get a part time job in addition to the full time job in order to make ends meet but it most certainly can be done on minimum wage.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:31 AM

26,659 posts, read 13,852,506 times
Quote:
YES! Because you work at a food joint and there is ALWAYS left over food for you to eat for FREE. No one working at a restaurant goes hungry, unless they want to.
Almost every restaurant that I ever worked at gave employees a free meal. One summer I had two jobs, one at a restaurant and one at a coffee shop. I got my coffee for free at the coffee shop and I got my lunch free at the restaurant. I usually only ate half and saved the other half for dinner. We often traded employee meals with other restaurants so I often had meals from other places as well. I barely bought any groceries that summer and I ate very well.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:40 AM

19,943 posts, read 12,233,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Because it used to be true until we allowed corporate greed to become our messiah and watched our jobs disappear overseas. Now people are stunned at the disappearance of the American middle class and are turning to the only thing they think will restore it. Certainly the corporations won't do it out of the goodness of their hearts.

It's hard to give up the American Dream, and to face the reality that we will never again automatically be able to improve upon the lifestyle of our parents' generation.
I worked f/t minimum wage 30 yrs ago when I was young because it was a fun job...crappy pay but there was a party every night. M/W at that time meant 3-4 people sharing an apartment and driving an older vehicle. Big deal. No cell phones, no internet. I don't remember whining about my predicament. It was fun at the time but I decided to grow up and get a good job with benefits and bought my house in a great middle class neighborhood. I work for one of those greedy corporations.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:42 AM

26,692 posts, read 14,639,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Because it used to be true until we allowed corporate greed to become our messiah and watched our jobs disappear overseas. Now people are stunned at the disappearance of the American middle class and are turning to the only thing they think will restore it. Certainly the corporations won't do it out of the goodness of their hearts.

It's hard to give up the American Dream, and to face the reality that we will never again automatically be able to improve upon the lifestyle of our parents' generation.
My goodness. I was told that the left were intelligent, well educated and rational people but what I have seen are bunch of hypocrites who don't even understand the basics of Econ 101.

Frankly, if you hate the big corporations so much, just stop using their products and services. Nobody forced you, right? Just be true to yourself and your own hatred.

The big corporations are screwed either way. If they hire people, they are exploiting the workers; if they don't hire people, they are not hiring enough or helping enough.

The reality is that the big greedy corporations are the reason that we enjoy our life today. Think cell phones, cars, cloth, coca-cola, computers, Internet, medicine, food etc. etc. etc. None would be available to us without the greedy corporations. The greed, the drive to make a profit, is what drives the society and the humanity forward. Big evil corporations? Well, that's really called teamwork!

So why do you hate the big corporations who have saved you, fed you, helped you etc. etc. etc. but never once forced you to use their products or services? Yet for some strange reasons, you love that one big corporation who doesn't produce anything and only wants money from every hardworking person and gives the money to those who don't work. Yeah, that corporation's name is the government.

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 06-04-2014 at 10:12 AM..

Old 06-04-2014, 09:43 AM

53,471 posts, read 35,161,014 times
Quote:

I don't know how the religious conservatives can justify this thinking.
no one said anything about hunger, so keep slappin'

Old 06-04-2014, 09:43 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,035,929 times
Quote:

That is sometimes true. I suppose it depends where and who you work for. For example, my first job in high school was a dishwasher at a local restaurant. We were allowed as much pop (soda for those who don't live in Ohio, Michigan, or Pennsylvania) as we wanted, and could eat as much dinner rolls as we wanted. Employees were allowed one free meal, which consisted either of a burger and fries, grilled cheese and , or a salad. Anything else had to be paid for, and was discounted obviously. When I was 19 I took a job delivering pizzas one night a week, and we had to pay 50%. A few years back I delivered pizzas a couple of nights for extra cash and according to their rules any food that was cooked as a mistake was technically supposed to be disposed of. In other words, you weren't even allowed to give it to the employees, however; no manager followed that rule. You also had to pay for your food. Pizza was discounted 50%, wings and sandwiches 20%. Every once in awhile though the manager on duty would make food for the staff. Like I said it just depends on the establishment. I always was boggled by the rule of disposing of a mistake? Why? Why not give it to the employees, instead of just flat out wasting it? I assure you "mistakes" didn't go to waste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies